Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Re: 2012 Sailing Season

We're still game for that last weekend in July. If the weather is nice enough to anchor out, we suggest Weems Creek off the Severn? We can raft off a Navy mooring - if they're solid enough to hold a YP in a hurricane they can certainly hold 4 or 5 of us! There's a dinghy landing for shoreside visitors, and if folks want to we will also include a repeat of Joe's wonderful photo shoot from the Naval Academy bridge.

Alternatively, if people want to raft in Back Creek, or take a marina slip so they can run air conditioning (remember, we are talking July here) we can host at our marina. City moorings and slips are available, and we have lots of amenities - a nice lounge, cafe, pool, small playground.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-11-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Hanging out getting ready for breakfast here in Worton Creek. Looks like a hazy humid day typical of July. It's was actually pleasantly cool although no breeze at all last night. The other 4boats in the anchorage floating on their anchors like us.. I don't like it like this as it's a sure recepie for wrapping the anchor around the keel

Saw three red tailed hawks this morning fighting over what looked like a small mole they put on quite an ariel combat display.

Heading back to port this afternoon and then work tomorrow. Can't wait till retirement.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-12-2012

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06

The June Sailnet rendezvous was indeed a lot of fun! I was heartened that my dear wife felt good enough that day to attend as well. I hope to meet up with everyone again in August. Sorry, have another commitment during the July rendezvous.
Pasadena, MD
Old 06-17-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Well we had an interesting sail with some friends up to Annapolis this weekend. With the wind being from the north on Sat it was tack-tack-tack to claw our way up but the wind was fresh and the temps cool, so we stuck with it and got in around mid afternoon, to find the lower field already full. Even though its usually bumpy and always subject to the boisterous voices from the bars on ego alley we still like the lower mooring field so were disappointed to have to go up to the moorings in Spa Creek.

It seemed fate was on our side though because by the time we'd let the wives do a bit of shopping and stopped for a couple of beverages the winds had really kicked up and the lower moorings and Restricted Anchorage area by the Academy were really starting to rock. It took us while to catch a water taxi back to our mooring and the Captain told us he'd have to swing by the lower field first which was fine with us. As we headed out, the chop was causing a lot of spray to hit everyone in the front 1/2 of the taxiboat. As we passed the end of the moorage there was a boat owner trying to describe where he had anchored of the Academy when he realized his boat was not were he left it. Instead it was bashing on the rocks at the Naval Academy while a guy in a rowing dingy and some folks in a small ski boat tried to pull it off. The taxi captain did a masterful job of putting the owner on board and the ski boat was quickly successful in pulling the boat away from the rocks. From our vantage we never got to see the side of the boat that had been on the rocks but the Uniformed guard on the breakwater had been telling the owner it was holed. Hopefully that wasn't the case.

Anyway it was fortunate for us that we were in the much more protected moorage on spa creek so we could enjoy a pieceful night.
Old 06-17-2012

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
ouch...what a shame. did you happen to notice what type of anchor he had used?

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 06-17-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

The area in front of the Achademy wall is trecherous for anchoring as it is mostly silt. Lots of people have draggered there. We have never had luck anchoring there.

Funny last night about 5 the winds were very light. Less than 5. Between 6 and 8 they picked up to over 15. I am sure this con tributed to some of the roughness and carnage.

Good call Palmettosailor going inside. We like the peacefullness of Spa Creek and even Back Creek mooring ball rather than take the ones in the anchorage off the town dock, To many idiots. The only time I like a mooring there is on Wed nights to become part of the Wed night race strategy for the other boats.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-18-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
ouch...what a shame. did you happen to notice what type of anchor he had used?
I didnt get to see the anchor but expect it was probably a light weight Fortress or the like. The boat was a modern racing design with high end laminate sails and I'm sure the keep it light mentality carried through to the anchor. I know the rode looked under sized for the boat.

We had a Canadian couple on the taxi that were on the way ba k to the Great Lake from the Exhumas. They anhored their big Hunter just upwind of the boat that drug. He used a 60lb cqr and chain rode sand stayed put even with all the freeboard of a center cockpit design.

Also the comment about the winds was spot on. It was very calm when we arrived and remained so until after we went ashore. It was around 7:30-8:00 that all this happend.
Old 06-18-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

On Sunday we exited the Patapsco with the USCGC Eagle. Awesome vessel and very accommodating to the other boaters who contacted them over the radio.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 06-19-2012

We heard that incident on the VHF. We have never had trouble getting our anchor to hold in front of the Naval Academy; I think a combination of poor anchoring technique/wrong anchor/too light anchor and rode and lots of wakes to unseat the anchor contribute to peoples' problems. There are a few anchor incidents there every summer. Once we had the same unattended boat drag down into us TWICE in 24 hours! (Our anchor held us both until we were able to get some assitance reanchoring the guy.) We generally bite the bullet and pay the $30 for a mooring because we get a kick out of all the activity in the harbor area.

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

and
! And a new project:
Old 06-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
On Sunday we exited the Patapsco with the USCGC Eagle. Awesome vessel and very accommodating to the other boaters who contacted them over the radio.
CG are always so professional!

and
! And a new project: