Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012

swampcreek is on a distinguished road
Re: 2012 Sailing Season

Well I guess this will be the story with everyone but we will be preparing for the storm this weekend so we're out...
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life should be an adventure, not a guided tour!
Not all of us in the herd are sheep.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2012

4arch is on a distinguished road

Went out sailing today for the first since the storm. I had received my new mainsail the week before Sandy and had been itching to bend it on and take the boat out for a spin. The sail is awesome - Spindrift was pointing amazingly. I was tacking back and forth across the mouth of the river with almost the whole Patapsco to myself. I love everything about sailing this time of year except for the nagging knowledge that there are only a few weeks left in the season. We'll try to do one or two more weekend overnights and then this year we're coming out for the winter. The long range forecast shows next weekend sunny with highs in the mid to high 50s so I'll keep my fingers crossed that weather materializes after we survive the mid-week noreaster.
Old 11-04-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Good for you guys! We took all the canvas off in preparation for Sandy. The main and genny are now in our van ashore. The only canvas we'll be putting back on before next April, is the cockpit enclosure to give us a sunroom in December.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 11-05-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Brian,

We are planning on going out next weeknd also. Sucks with daylight savings time. So we will probably stay close like either Bodkin or Magothy somewhere.

We are staying in again since we have been pulled twice already this year so the Faircloth doesnt go on till Dec 15 or so and then winterize her.

I may redo the sole this winter since the elctrical is all done now. I also got my new Garhauer line cam cleats and will wait for spring/ winter to install them

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-05-2012

Dave,

Let's stay in touch this week. We'll be up for rafting up on Saturday if the weather cooperates.
Old 11-11-2012

We ended up going to Worton Creek yesterday. With no wind we motored up the bay with a favorable current carrying us at over 6 knots. We went to the inside anchorage and dropped anchor around 3 PM. There was only one other boat on the hook but we did share the anchorage with thousands of geese who must have been stopping for an afternoon rest. We sat in the cockpit until dark and watched as group after group took off and flew into the sunset. We also saw a bald eagle and several other shore birds. Some geese stayed as we heard sporadic honking through the darkness all night. It was chilly after dark (got down to 39) but our propane heater kept us cozy.

This morning we set out again with no wind but a favorable current and were able to sail the last third of our trip as the wind picked up in the afternoon. Both days we had the bay practically to ourselves and I had to wonder why there weren't more boaters out enjoying the beautiful weekend.

Back at the marina, things were as hopping as I've ever seen them there, with those fortunate enough to be heading south for the winter making final preparations and others waiting in line for the travel lift to pull out. We're hauling out this winter but we're determined to make the season last through Thanksgiving, weather permitting.
Old 11-12-2012
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
When in doubt sails go back on

I had the sails neatly stowed away after prepping for Sandy, but I thought maybe a nice day could get me to bend them back on. Well, if Sunday wasn't such a day, I don't know what would be: mid 60s, nice little breeze, perfectly sunny skies. So I convinced a sailor friend to most likely close out the season with me and we were rewarded with a close to perfect fall sailing day. Besides the sunny skies, we had steady 10 kt wind from the SE the whole day without a single gust. We saw maybe 10 other sailboats out in the Herring Bay area, so I know some others enjoyed a beautiful November day out there.
wingNwing likes this.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 11-12-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Once we pulled the sails off for Sandy, we decided it was just too much work to put them back on. Spent this pretty, warm weekend wrapping ourselves in a cocoon of white plastic shrink wrap. A friend sailing by said it looked like we had put a condom on the boat.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 11-12-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We wound up starting late as Donna had issues with her mom and went to the Chester and Cackaway Island just up Langford Creek. We needed to get away by ouirselves to have a great setting to dicuss family issues ( Sorry we didnt call you Brian). We passe Leslie and Clay ( Tango) on our way up Langford Creek, they were headed toward Queenstown it looked like. Wd spoke briefly on Channel 68.

The Geese show as spectacular as it always is in the fall. Saw a few eagles...but the geese were so funny. We came in at twilight ( only 5:30 grrrrrrrrrr) and they were landing next to the boat. When we got there there were over 300 in the water of the little cove nexr to the duck blind which look like it took a hoit from Sandy. They continued landing...squaking for about an hour as I reheated some chili I had made and frozen and we sat in the cockpit with Blankets chili and hot chocolate and watched it grow dark in one of the most beautiful clear nights. Fall is very special on the Chesapeake.

Sunday we woke, had our lox and bagels and some good Kona coffee,,,,and sailed home to a warming day. Nice southesast breeze of 10-12 smooth water on the bay. Donna was captain for the day and had me running doing all boat things as she kept the helm. I was lucky enough to get a small nap as we crossed the Bay and she avoided the many crab pots.

We will not winterize to mid- December and then the Faircloth cover goes on. We will stay in the water since Haleakula had two lift outs this summer. One for her new shaft...and one for the lighning strike inspection.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-12-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Since there was no breeze on Saturday, I helped a friend with his engine.

I sailed on Sunday with a friend who was looking for some fine-tuning tips. We got into a casual race with some guys on a Catalina 30. One of those mutual "nod and we're off" kind of things. I think my buddy really liked it.

Today, I took a Navy buddy and his girlfriend out today in 20 solid knots of breeze. Reefed main, and the #2 jib to keep things "polite". 6.5 knots upwind, and the knot meter banging 8.5 downwind. In spite of the stiff breeze, there was very little wave action, so I got to enjoy the boat making a full head of steam without pounding into a chop. We sailed within 50 yards of my slip before I was forced to use the engine to get us in.

Three times now, I've seen brown pelicans near Thomas Point Light. This is highly unusual, as confirmed by the West River Riverkeeper. I'm hoping it's an omen of a mild winter.
1973 Pearson 30 #255