SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   2012 Sailing Season (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/82239-2012-sailing-season.html)

DRFerron 01-01-2012 04:55 PM

2012 Sailing Season

I guess I might as well get this one started.

As mentioned in another thread we're going to try to have monthly raft ups on the Bay. All are welcome. Locations will be announced later but will probably start in March. Last summer when we had one each boat brought an appetizer to contribute and that seemed to work out well.

Hopefully we can also look forward to the annual Sailnet Rendezvous in June.

Let's go sailing!

DRFerron 01-13-2012 11:03 AM

Weekend Raft-ups

It looks like the 2012 sailing season on the Bay will include monthly raft-ups on the last weekend of each month. If you can come, great but choosing a specific weekend means we can schedule better. Since some of you keep your boats in the water year-round, it was suggested that we begin in March. Brrrr, but OK. No location has been set but maybe the person who suggested that we begin in March would like to suggest one? I forget who it was.

All are welcome. An appetizer to share is also welcome but not required. This is extremely informal so suggestions on how to know who is planning to attend are welcome. Our raft-up last year used email but there were only about five boats involved. We could post here I suppose but it would be helpful to know who is expected in case of emergency.

Let's get the party started!

chef2sail 01-14-2012 07:57 PM

Great idea Donna, Thank you for getting the ball rolling and spearheading.

We usually do not start sailing for real until April 1 although we have gotten out before then.

I would suggest that we begin with having each of us pick the date of the raft up we would like to "captain" the raft up and that person becomes the organizer for that date and ultimately picks the spot of the raft up. Getting all of us to agree is like herding cats.
This way anyone who wants to step up and champion a date can and can help organize it and maybe pick their favorite spot or hosat it at their marina/ club. The rest of us can anchor out or take slips. There are enough dates that anyone can "captain" and organize the date. Anyone else know of areas with similar facilities and are willing to "captain" a date there for the whole group?

So if we used the last weekends of a month as the criteria that means the following dates ( first date is Saturday)

March24/25-
April 28/29-
May 26/27-
June 9/10 (tennative)- 3rd annual Sailnet Rondevous at the Maryland Yacht Club
July 28/29-
August 25/26-
September 29/30-
October 27/28
November 20/21-

I would also suggest that a few of these be close enough to facilities that we can pick up "stragglers" who cannot necessarily make it by boat, or cannot have both days free, but can car it. The June Rondevous at MYC is designed that way and we have gotten many who come by car from othe SN areas. I know on the Rhode River there are facilities for a cookout somehere. Langford Marina has moorings and may let us use their Pavillion if enough of us take slips or moorings. Swan Creek is close to where many of you keep boats. I am thinking that where ever we can do it thhis way it is advantagous, especially if we get a large group, as we generally dont raft like powerboats with 10 boats in a raft up. This way bringing hor douevers to a land pavillion/ grass area by dinghy will allow all of us to meet all of the others.

Just a few suggestions. We of course will do the Rondevous in June at MYC and will pick another date

Dave

DRFerron 01-14-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 816796)
Great idea Donna, Thank you for getting the ball rolling and spearheading.

Ball roller and spearheader, that's me. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 816796)
...especially if we get a large group, as we generally dont raft like powerboats with 10 boats in a raft up. This way bringing hor douevers to a land pavillion/ grass area by dinghy will allow all of us to meet all of the others.
Dave

The way we do it in my Catalina club is to make rafts of four or five boats and the raft with the largest boats is the "party raft" and everyone dinghies over to it for appetizers. BYOB.

chef2sail 01-14-2012 11:57 PM

Quote:

The way we do it in my Catalina club is to make rafts of four or five boats and the raft with the largest boats is the "party raft" and everyone dinghies over to it for appetizers. BYOB

A lot of us belong to other clubs which raft up like we belong to the C&C Owners club and also keep our boat at the Maryland Yacht Club so I am quite familiar with the concept of rafting up and partying as thats how they all tend to do it. WE do this all the time. Its a great way to see others boats and look inside as well as see others set ups for ideas. Some of the best chinese fire drills I have ever seen was watching rafted boats swing around one anchor when a storm rolled through. Or watch out for them when they drag and cannot get untied and apart fast enough.

For safetys sake we generally do not like to raft up with more than three boats on one anchor, but occasionally do it once in while when light winds and no storms are forecasted. We do have a dinghy on davits that follows us where ever we go so we would have some mobility and would be able to pick other up who do not have one.

Do any of you know areas that have land picnic tables or pavillions or such that we could meet at in the event we have a raft up close by? I think I identified a couple in Langford Bay (Chester River), Rhode River (close to High Island), how about Quiet Waters Park on Harness Creek (South River), Shawn, Isnt there a place in The entrance of the creek leading into Still Pond?, Is there a place we can land on the Wye ( Dave you spend a lot of time there).

Donna....saw you picture in Spinsheets..:):):):):):).

PalmettoSailor 01-15-2012 09:42 AM

I'm not a huge fan of rafting up overnight either, so see the advantage of seeking shore based gathering places, however I don't have an abundance of ideas about places that would meet those critera. I do seem to remember there was a park with picnic tables adjacent to the dingy dock on San Domigo Creek on the backside of St Michael's that might be a possiblity.

Other than that I can't think of any other place in my area that has shoreside facilites out side of marina's. HHS would be a nice place for a visit if folks are OK with paying for dockage.

DRFerron 01-15-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midlifesailor (Post 816917)
I'm not a huge fan of rafting up overnight either,...

Not all the boats in our group join a raft. Some anchor independently and dinghy over for the food. Not a problem.

DRFerron 01-15-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 816872)
Donna....saw you picture in Spinsheets..:):):):):):).

Shhhhhhhhh! You have to be so loud? :) I didn't know the picture had been submitted until after the fact. I'm actively planning revenge.

SVAuspicious 01-15-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 816872)
Do any of you know areas that have land picnic tables or pavillions or such that we could meet at in the event we have a raft up close by? I think I identified a couple in Langford Bay (Chester River), Rhode River (close to High Island), how about Quiet Waters Park on Harness Creek (South River), Shawn, Isnt there a place in The entrance of the creek leading into Still Pond?, Is there a place we can land on the Wye ( Dave you spend a lot of time there).

There are tables on Wye off the dinghy landing along Granery Creek.

Harness Creek/Quiet Waters is very good.

Coles Point has some great facilities for the Southern contingent.

I remember tables along the commercial bulkhead in St Micheals.

There are also tables near the museum in Solomons.

Dinghy raft-ups are also great fun. We had a great one in Georgetown a couple of years ago off a big cat stern anchored with a great impromptu music act on the tramp. I'll look for the video and post it. Anyone sing or play in this group?

wingNwing 01-15-2012 12:24 PM

We'd be glad to captain the weekend in July or August, location TBD. Maybe Weems Creek off the Severn? We can raft off a Navy mooring - if they're solid enough to hold a YP in a hurricane they can certainly hold 4 or 5 of us! There's a dinghy landing for shoreside visitors, and if folks want to we can also include a repeat of Joe's wonderful photo shoot from the Naval Academy bridge.

Alternatively, if people want to raft in Back Creek we can host at our marina. City moorings and slips are available, and we have lots of amenities - a nice lounge, cafe, pool, small playground. We're having a lot of fun here in St Aug, and staying nice and warm, but missing some of our Chesapeake friends!