SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   Swan Creek and it's marinas (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/84173-swan-creek-its-marinas.html)

deniseO30 02-21-2012 07:41 PM

Swan Creek and it's marinas

118 miles from my front door AND and a much nicer ride then going down 95 to the western shore. Moorings seem to be just under 2k a year. How about monthly? or a "season" mooring or slip? Last year I had some input on this but forgot from who.

chef2sail 02-21-2012 08:12 PM

Harbor Haven is my favorite... Osprey is also good. I have freinds at Gratitude and sailing Emporium. All are good ppicks. You will sail so much more on the Chessie and best of all...Get to raft up with many of here..:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

DRFerron 02-21-2012 08:21 PM

Denise,

I'm in a slip at the entrance to Swan Creek and can't answer the moorings question, but I can attest to the fact that you can walk across the boats anchored out back there during holidays and when the town has special events going on (e.g., Pirates and Wenches).

And yes, the drive is nice. We don't have to get on I-95 from where we live in Pennsylvania and that's high on the list of things keeping us from moving our boat to the western shore.

You mentioned in another thread the lack of fuel docks and pump out stations where you're located. There are both at the entrance to Swan Creek and Haven Harbor (I think, one of them anyway) has the other fuel dock back in the creek although I hear that it's difficult to maneuver to.

Here's a list of marinas in Rock Hall and most of them have rates posted on their web pages.

deniseO30 02-21-2012 08:22 PM

sailing more is what I want Chef. the cost.. well that's the hurdle, Sigh.

deniseO30 02-21-2012 08:30 PM

thanks Donna!

Gladrags1 02-22-2012 07:02 AM

Swan Creek Marina is a nice Mom and Pop type marina. I can't answer the question about mooring ball rental but a quick call should do it. I know they rent them out for transients so I imagine there are options. I agree with others that Swan Creek is a good base for sailing the Bay; lots of places to go!

Tod

deniseO30 02-22-2012 09:51 AM

I do this self punishment every year when I know full well I can't even afford a mooring for a month much less a season on the Bay, Oh well at least I have the boat here and it's close by.

DRFerron 02-22-2012 10:07 AM

Nothing wrong with that. We also re-evaluate our options every other year or so. A few months ago we looked into joining a yacht club as the slip rental is considerably less expensive. But once we weighed that against having no yard services, having to move the boat to get it worked on, having to locate a yard to haul out in a hurricane (and having to move the boat to that yard instead of just sending an email to our marina), having to locate a yard for winter storage, and all the other things we take for granted, we decided to stay put. Perhaps if we weren't two hours away it would be different.

We did decide that next winter, now that we have an engine that will get us through the canal, we are moving the boat to Delaware City for winter storage so it's closer to work on. We'll return to Rock Hall in the spring.

deniseO30 02-22-2012 10:28 AM

We can work on our boats here where I'm at and it's less then $600 a yr with 24 hr work commitment, easy to do, I was checking out Rockhall YC. But I'm sure its for locals. I know manyt YC's are very welcoming to Members of other YCs too but I've not tried to connect with any on the Bay.

Donna, NOW that you have an engine? Do tell! gotta hear that story!

DRFerron 02-22-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deniseO30 (Post 835173)
I was checking out Rockhall YC. But I'm sure its for locals.

It's not just for locals. They have members who live in Pennsylvania and other states. It's one of the YCs I looked into joining. I look at it every year but 1) it's a little far away from the Bay and 2) no fuel anywhere near.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deniseO30 (Post 835173)
Donna, NOW that you have an engine? Do tell! gotta hear that story!

Nothing exciting. We were underpowered, old engine went kaput (spent 9 hours limping back from Annapolis), having new engine installed now by our marina. Looking forward to sailing the heck out of it this year.

Another reason why we're wary about being away from a working yard. :)