Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Swan Creek and it's marinas

118 miles from my front door AND and a much nicer ride then going down 95 to the western shore. Moorings seem to be just under 2k a year. How about monthly? or a "season" mooring or slip? Last year I had some input on this but forgot from who.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Harbor Haven is my favorite... Osprey is also good. I have freinds at Gratitude and sailing Emporium. All are good ppicks. You will sail so much more on the Chessie and best of all...Get to raft up with many of here..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-21-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Denise,

I'm in a slip at the entrance to Swan Creek and can't answer the moorings question, but I can attest to the fact that you can walk across the boats anchored out back there during holidays and when the town has special events going on (e.g., Pirates and Wenches).

And yes, the drive is nice. We don't have to get on I-95 from where we live in Pennsylvania and that's high on the list of things keeping us from moving our boat to the western shore.

You mentioned in another thread the lack of fuel docks and pump out stations where you're located. There are both at the entrance to Swan Creek and Haven Harbor (I think, one of them anyway) has the other fuel dock back in the creek although I hear that it's difficult to maneuver to.

Here's a list of marinas in Rock Hall and most of them have rates posted on their web pages.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 02-21-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
sailing more is what I want Chef. the cost.. well that's the hurdle, Sigh.

my current "project"!
Old 02-21-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

thanks Donna!

my current "project"!
Old 02-22-2012
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road
Swan Creek Marina is a nice Mom and Pop type marina. I can't answer the question about mooring ball rental but a quick call should do it. I know they rent them out for transients so I imagine there are options. I agree with others that Swan Creek is a good base for sailing the Bay; lots of places to go!

Tod
Old 02-22-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

I do this self punishment every year when I know full well I can't even afford a mooring for a month much less a season on the Bay, Oh well at least I have the boat here and it's close by.

my current "project"!
Old 02-22-2012
A mod and her dragon

Nothing wrong with that. We also re-evaluate our options every other year or so. A few months ago we looked into joining a yacht club as the slip rental is considerably less expensive. But once we weighed that against having no yard services, having to move the boat to get it worked on, having to locate a yard to haul out in a hurricane (and having to move the boat to that yard instead of just sending an email to our marina), having to locate a yard for winter storage, and all the other things we take for granted, we decided to stay put. Perhaps if we weren't two hours away it would be different.

We did decide that next winter, now that we have an engine that will get us through the canal, we are moving the boat to Delaware City for winter storage so it's closer to work on. We'll return to Rock Hall in the spring.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 02-22-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

We can work on our boats here where I'm at and it's less then $600 a yr with 24 hr work commitment, easy to do, I was checking out Rockhall YC. But I'm sure its for locals. I know manyt YC's are very welcoming to Members of other YCs too but I've not tried to connect with any on the Bay.

Donna, NOW that you have an engine? Do tell! gotta hear that story!

my current "project"!
Old 02-22-2012
A mod and her dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
I was checking out Rockhall YC. But I'm sure its for locals.
It's not just for locals. They have members who live in Pennsylvania and other states. It's one of the YCs I looked into joining. I look at it every year but 1) it's a little far away from the Bay and 2) no fuel anywhere near.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Donna, NOW that you have an engine? Do tell! gotta hear that story!
Nothing exciting. We were underpowered, old engine went kaput (spent 9 hours limping back from Annapolis), having new engine installed now by our marina. Looking forward to sailing the heck out of it this year.

Another reason why we're wary about being away from a working yard.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine