Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Question Fracking Contamination and the Chesapeake Bay

As most know the Susquehanna River is a major water source for the Bay and that that this river has it's origins in the region that is under great scrutiny for contamination from the Fracking process upstate in Penna.

EPA heightens scrutiny of Pa.'s Marcellus Shale | US National Headlines | Comcast

Just curious are there on going studies as to what is happening to the Bay as a result of the contamination up state..?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2012

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Re: Fracking Contamination and the Chesapeake Bay

snarky answer....they (who ever they are) have been studying the bay for decades and not one thing has been done... they have studied the crap behind conowingo dam, they have studied the fracking up above Frackville, PA (real place by the way) and depending on which they you side with, they are making progress in cleaning up, etc, the bay. Believe the CBF, and the other green groups who pay themselves quite well and build wonderful offices for themselves on the backs of contributors. Even the people who live where the fracking is currently happening, can't agree on it's plus' or minus'...some say the wells are dying by the thousands, others say that has been the case since they discovered gas up that way last century...

Follow the money.

Real answer....read this months Chesapeake Bay magazine, one of the best "tell it like it is" about issues that affect the bay, in decades. Then do some research at the U of Md's studies as well as VIMS in VA...of the Bay and it's critters

the signs are ominous that nothing has really changed since the 70's as WE continue to value perfect lawns and cheap chickens over water quality. WE keep wanting more stuff and bigger houses and that gets rid of land that once filtered things.

Until WE convince the politicians of our desires for clean water....well you get the message..
Old 03-05-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
Even the people who live where the fracking is currently happening, can't agree on it's plus' or minus'...some say the wells are dying by the thousands, others say that has been the case since they discovered gas up that way last century...
John's family are longtime residents of Clarks Summit (above Scranton). The well contamination has been going on long, LONG before the fracking started. Many of the residents just decided to capitalize on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 03-05-2012

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
John's family are longtime residents of Clarks Summit (above Scranton). The well contamination has been going on long, LONG before the fracking started. Many of the residents just decided to capitalize on it.
When I was a small boy, I remember an uncle lighting a tap just to show me. They used that water for washing around the barn and had another well for the house that had better water.

By now, 100% of the frac water should be recycled. There are several vendors with mobile units, and several fixed plants. It's not that hard.
ApexFCC Oilfield Services - E&P Waste Services - Water Recycling Plant

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 03-05-2012

Ulladh is on a distinguished road

When the fracking started the regulations and enforcement was somewhat lax, but things have changed and as pdq noted most of the fracking fluids are recycled, either trucked off site for recycling or recycled on site.

But contamination from fracking fluids in the Chesapeake is probably minor compared to nutrient run-off from agriculture and landscaping, or contaminants from roadway and parking lot stormwater.

The next issue with the natural gas extraction is regulation and enforcement of gas pipelines in rural areas.

There is a price to pay for our fossil fuel and resource extraction depended economy.
Old 03-06-2012

Quote:
Interesting..cause I was from that area where my parents had a farm near Dimock and I don't remember the issues as you stated...
Old 03-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
There is a price to pay for our fossil fuel and resource extraction depended economy.
As Robert Hienline popularized, TANSTAFL (there ain't no such thing as a free lunch).

The only real solution is using less in all things. The very human compulsion towards "more" is the problem.

Old 03-06-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
Interesting..cause I was from that area where my parents had a farm near Dimock and I don't remember the issues as you stated...
I only know that his parents, grandmother and several of their friends have said the same thing. It's possible that different veins have less issues.

We have a well now (in SE PA) and have never come close to going dry even during the worst droughts. Neighbors just down the street have had to have theirs taken deeper to find water. Probably drawing off of different veins.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 03-06-2012

Quote:
I only know that his parents, grandmother and several of their friends have said the same thing. It's possible that different veins have less issues.
Exactly. They had 2 wells, 400 feet apart. One was fresh, the other was sulfur/gas water.

I have a property in Virginia with 2 wells 400 feet apart; one is 17 ppm hardness, the other is 1700 ppm hardness and unusable for any realistic purpose, including irrigation.

Old 11-27-2012

From the NSS forum..

Cavechat.org • View topic - Tracking Fracture Mining Activity Near Caves (PA)