Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Proposed Registration Fees for MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Actually its illegal by federal law to also state register ('title') a boat that is federally registered/documented --- thats why most states apply a 'use' tax to federally documented boats.
You can't interchange registration and title, they are two different things. Title is a record of ownership and is the State version of USCG documentation. Registration is just permission to use it in State waters for more than a defined period of time.

You would not have oth forms of title, but you almost always have one form of title, plus a state registration.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Use tax is also fully unrelated to how the boat is titled. That is only triggered by how long you "use" the boat in their State, if you didn't pay sales tax there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-13-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Use tax is also fully unrelated to how the boat is titled. That is only triggered by how long you "use" the boat in their State, if you didn't pay sales tax there.
Sigh. One fire at a time, please. Someone I know with the same size documented boat pays $10/year to MD. Still less expensive than $75 every two.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 03-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Sigh. One fire at a time, please. Someone I know with the same size documented boat pays $10/year to MD. Still less expensive than $75 every two.
Not following the fire comment.

If the documented boat is paying $10 pe year it isn't Use Tax then, is it?

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 03-13-2012
A mod and her dragon

Quote:
If the documented boat is paying $10 pe year it isn't Use Tax then, is it?
Since he and I were talking about the registration fee, I assumed that it was in lieu of that.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 03-13-2012

Quote:
Since he and I were talking about the registration fee, I assumed that it was in lieu of that.
So a Federally documented boat in Md waters pays a lower registration fee than a MD titled boat? D-U-M-B. Maybe I'm just catching on.

I was replying to a poster above that said States go after documented boats for Use Tax, whichis entirely a different matter, not a registration. Use tax is a way to collect sales tax if you buy your boat in another State and bring it home, for example.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 03-13-2012
A mod and her dragon

Quote:

I was replying to a poster above that said States go after documented boats for Use Tax, whichis entirely a different matter, not a registration. Use tax is a way to collect sales tax if you buy your boat in another State and bring it home, for example.
When I bought my first boat in PA and kept it in MD, I didn't have to pay sales tax to MD since I had already paid it to PA (they just wanted proof). The boat was only 22 feet so if there was a use tax, it was probably minimal and I didn't notice (or remember). Second boat I bought in MD so they got the tax on that one.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 03-13-2012

Quote:
When I bought my first boat in PA and kept it in MD, I didn't have to pay sales tax to MD since I had already paid it to PA (they just wanted proof). The boat was only 22 feet so if there was a use tax, it was probably minimal and I didn't notice (or remember). Second boat I bought in MD so they got the tax on that one.
Yes, most States just want to be sure you aren't dodging Sales Tax altogether and have reciprocal agreements with neighbors to offset what you paid there. Most States allow you to fill out a form to avoid paying sale tax, if you are leaving their State with the boat. In your case, or may not have needed to pay sales tax to PA. But, all is well that ends well for you. Good.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 03-13-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The 'blanket' in MD is that you have to pay any 'differential differences' between what you paid in sales taxes in your original state and that charged in MD ... THEN you are entitled to pay the MD. 'use' tax. Of course if you paid MORE than what MD extracts, there is no 'discount'.

Eg.: If your state has NO sales taxes, then when you bring your documented boat to MD you then pay the full MD sales tax, and then pay for the 'use tax' ... each and every two years 'after' the year that you pay the MD sales tax.

Last edited by RichH; 03-13-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-13-2012
A mod and her dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
The 'blanket' in MD is that you have to pay any 'differential differences' between what you paid in sales taxes in your original state and that charged in MD
PA sales tax is more than MD so in my case I didn't owe anything.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.