SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Baltimore Fireworks: How far away?

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  wingNwing 
#1 ·
We are going with a sail club to the Patabsco River for OpSail 2012 in June. We're spending two nights at Maryland Yacht Club near the mouth of the Patabsco and the plan is to sail up to Inner Harbor during the day and see the sites from the water.

Can anyone tell me if we might be able to see the fireworks from the YC? Or is our best bet to go out into the river? I sort of don't want to get mired in boat traffic heading out of Inner Harbor after the show.

Thanks!

#3 ·
I think baltimore will be too far for you to see anything from maryland yacht club... however the homeowners on rock creek put an amazing show on last time we were there. I bet it lasted over 2 hours, I'm not talking about little fire crackers and bottle rocket either... thousands of dollars off fireworks... when we got back to our slip at 11 o'clock in the evening they were still going.

If you do go up to the inner harbor to see the fireworks by boat... beware it is nuts... plan on staying the night or leaving very late. It will blow your mind all of the idiots in there cigarette boats barreling down the river at 60 miles an hour in the dark.

#4 ·
...however the homeowners on rock creek put an amazing show on last time we were there. I bet it lasted over 2 hours, I'm not talking about little fire crackers and bottle rocket either... thousands of dollars off fireworks... when we got back to our slip at 11 o'clock in the evening they were still going.
This isn't fourth of July. Maybe they'll be inclined to put on a show for the celebration in June. We're sailing up to Baltimore from MYC during the day for OpSail, the weekend after the Sailnet get together. MYC is stuck with us for two weekends. :)

Reactions: chef2sail
#5 · (Edited)
As Shawn stated the fireworks in Rock Creek are major crazy...rivaled only by the ones we saw on the Rhode River together one year rafted up with T37chef ( Windgeist)

You really cannnot see the Baltimore fireworks from MYC, but can see the ones at Fort McHenry To see them you really have to go up the fork (West Channel) in the Patapsco past Fort McHenry which puts you into the mayhem which occurs when they stop.

Are their fireworks with OP Sail? HOw about staying in a marina close to Inner Harbor, but not right on top of it say the next to the Old Domino Plant- Harbor View Marina or further out Browns Warf Marina which is close to Fells Point and great bars/ restauarnts too/. You might even try Canton Marina or Anchorage Marina///great restaurants and neighborhooods close by. I am sure you could walk to Inner Harbor or even hop a 2 mile cab ride. The fireworks should be visable from either of these places.

You may be able to go up the Middle Branch of th Patapsco past the Cruise ship terminal to the Baltimore Yacht Basin, but I have never been up there and it is somewhat industrial area.

Donna, make sure you talk with Carol at MYC letting her know you are requiring a transient slip the following weekend. It may be the Tartan Club or Singles in Sailing weekend at MYC so make sure she has your reservation. If you want to I will call her.

Dave

Dave

#7 ·
There is a Baltimore Circulator free bus service that runs around the city. If you put in at BMC or Anchorage in Canton, or anywhere in Fells Point, or anchor in teh area, you could catch this bus to get to the Inner Harbor. Of course, there is also the Water Taxi...

#9 ·
We wouldn't consider leaving our boats anchored during these festivities. I'm expecting it to be crazy on and off the water. I don't know yet what the security zones will be but the Navy (a bunch of vessels) and the President are expected to attend in addition to the tall ships so I expect heavy security. We want to be able to escape back to MYC and not get stuck in the harbour.

Thanks to both of you for the suggestion though.

#11 ·
The only slip reservations we could find, were $100/night (for a 33-foot boat!) so we're coming by car...

#12 ·
This is an outing with one of my sail clubs. When I called for slips in the marinas in Inner Harbor they required a 3-night minimum and the two closest marinas said they only had slips for boats 40 feet and up.

So we're staying at Maryland Yacht Club and sailing up on Saturday. We'll see the tall ships from the water, but that's OK.

#13 ·
yeah, for $100/night I want a motel, with a hot tub.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.