Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012
sv Cordelia

Nicklaus is on a distinguished road
Re: Mechanic?

Forgive my ignorance of inboard engines (hence the need for a mechanic), but to answer your question... I don't know.

I crawled under my sink to check it out and it appears to be one of the lower, aft bolts that holds the manifold to the engine block. What I couldn’t tell was where it actually broke. Since part of the bolt came out, I am assume the piece that needs to be removed is in the engine and not the manifold. If that’s the case, then it couldn’t be drilled out on a work bench.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Have to remove the manifold to get to the broken stub. Then the drill and easy out if it's broken flush to the block. May not be easy but can't tell till you see it up close.Then call for help. Maybe new bolts all round and careful not to over torque to the correct pattern. Learning new skills makes boating more fun.
Old 04-30-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Ok, this may not be too bad then, Nick.

You remove the other bolts and remove the manifold. The remainder (stub) of the broken bolt should be easily accessible. You soak this in a penatrent called "Kroil". The stuff is AMAZING. Then, we can put some tools on the stub and twist it out.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 04-30-2012
sv Cordelia

Thanks for the help. If I can get out to the boat before the mechanic, I think I'll give it a try or at the very least give him a head start.
Old 04-30-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

If the bolt is broken off flush with the engine block, there's no sense in removing the manifold. However, if there is a stub sufficient enough to grasp with vise-grip pliers, then remove the manifold, soak it with Liquid Wrench, or Kroil for a couple days, then heat the block with a a propane torch. When the block around the bolt is fairly hot, grasp the bolt stub with the vise-grips and carefully work it back and forth until it loosens. This sometimes works well, and sometimes the bolt will break right at the block.

If that happens, the next step requires drilling the center of the bolt with a drill-bit that's slightly smaller than the bolt diameter. This takes a steady hand so you don't get off center. Once the bolt has a nice, clean, relatively deep hole in the center then you can insert an easy out. However, I would recommend again heating the block with a propane torch--this can make a world of difference.

Most of the bolts used in the Atomic-4 were mild steel, so they should drill fairly easily. Once the bolt is removed, it's a good idea to chase the threads with the same size tap that was originally used to tap the block. Before inserting the new bolt, you may want to use a good quality, thread lubricant on the bolt so you don't have the same problem in the future. And, if you have to remove the manifold, replace all the old bolts with new ones that are also lubricated as well.

Good Luck,

Gary
Old 05-02-2012
sv Cordelia

Well, heard from the mechanic today. And of course it's never good news.

Apparently my A4 block has a hole in it.
Old 05-02-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklaus View Post
Well, heard from the mechanic today. And of course it's never good news.

Apparently my A4 block has a hole in it.
Um, how'd we go from replacing a broken manifold stud to finding a "hole in the block"? What kind of a hole, and where is it?

You might want to consider getting a second opinion...
Old 05-02-2012
sv Cordelia

I'm going to head out and take a look tonight.

Will try and post pictures tomorrow, but I would ASSUME it's behind the manifold.

And, the second opinion brings me back to my original post for good mechanic suggestions...
Old 05-02-2012
sv Cordelia

Went out there after work and nosed around. I examined the area where the manifold was and took a couple pictures - attached here - where the manifold was attached. Since that was the original problem, I assumed that's where my mechanic found the holes.

Granted, I don't really know a dang thing about Atomic 4s aside from the fact that mine hates me and has since I bought my boat last year, but everything looks normal to me.

Stopped by a local bar / restaurant. Asked the bartendar if any mechanics come in there. Left my number for one she said comes in every afternoon for a drink on his way home. Maybe he'll call tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Mechanic?-district-7-20120502-00031.jpg   Mechanic?-district-7-20120502-00043.jpg  
Old 05-03-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

If you had taken the manifold off your self you'd have a better idea of the scope and problem. Is there a 'hole in the block'? Doesn't look like it.Do broken studs need drilling and easy out? Should replace the remaining stud at the same time.Will chasing out the threads and new studs properly installed with new gasket cure the issue? Maybe a second or third confirmation would help .This is not rocket stuff. Or trust the guy to install new Isuzu and gear and learn the love the little bugger.

Last edited by Capt Len; 05-03-2012 at 02:01 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.