Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012
sv Cordelia

Nicklaus is on a distinguished road
Re: Mechanic?

Just heard back from my mechanic. Assume the hole might be inside the block... He said you would need a bore scope to look in the stud hole.

Either way, I'm going to get a second set of eyes to check it out.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2012
sv Cordelia

Just got in touch with Moyer. They also recommended Will Sibley.
Old 05-03-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Yes, there IS a hole in the block. In fact, there are several. I can see them in your picture.

The four big ones are exhaust ports.

The two small ones are bolt, or more properly, threaded rod holes. One of them has a threaded rod stickin' out of it. The other appears to have a broken rod end stuck at the bottom.

Follow the advice in Gary's second paragraph;
Quote:
If that happens, the next step requires drilling the center of the bolt with a drill-bit that's slightly smaller than the bolt diameter. This takes a steady hand so you don't get off center. Once the bolt has a nice, clean, relatively deep hole in the center then you can insert an easy out. However, I would recommend again heating the block with a propane torch--this can make a world of difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.

Last edited by eherlihy; 05-03-2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: added a comma
Old 05-03-2012
sv Cordelia

Ha, yes. Saw those holes. I’m slightly confused as to why he would have even inserted a scope in the block to begin with since he initially started with just removing a broken rod. My hope is that the other mechanic can provide a fix for the season and then I’ll spend the summer reading up on how to perform a more extensive overhaul next winter.

I'm of the opinion that my mechanic doesn't like finicky A4s – something I find odd considering the constant source of income (though likely headache) the Windsong has provided him.
Old 05-03-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklaus View Post
Ha, yes. Saw those holes. I’m slightly confused as to why he would have even inserted a scope in the block to begin with since he initially started with just removing a broken rod. My hope is that the other mechanic can provide a fix for the season and then I’ll spend the summer reading up on how to perform a more extensive overhaul next winter.

I'm of the opinion that my mechanic doesn't like finicky A4s – something I find odd considering the constant source of income (though likely headache) the Windsong has provided him.
Now I'm even more confused

If your mechanic was working on a broken rod, then it's possible that you do in fact have a new, undesigned hole in your block. That would explain the need to get the manifold off which would explain the broken stud.
Old 05-03-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklaus View Post

I think that this is often the case with mechanics who are uncomfortable working on A4's. They'll look for any excuse, real or imagined, to say you need to replace it with a diesel.

Willis Sibley won't be cheap (no mechanic is) but he is honest. I hope he has time for you.

Everybody has one:

Old 05-03-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

After looking at the posted photos I sincerely believe you have a broken stud--that's it! I didn't see any holes other than the manifold holes that should be there. Did you send the photos to Moyer Marine? If not, it would be a good idea to do it so they can access the problem in detail.

The biggest problem will be access, but if you can get a camera in there to take a closeup photo, you shouldn't have a problem getting a drill in there as well. As stated above, this isn't rocket science.

Good Luck,

Gary
Old 05-05-2012
sv Cordelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
Now I'm even more confused
Sorry. Should have said stud in my above post. Not rod.

Spoke with Mr. Sibley yesterday. He said he used a scope to look for a hole too but couldn't find one. He told me that my mechanic might be better than he is, but that he is "pretty good."

He saw the rust around the aft stud and thought there might be a leak, but suggested using JB Weld to secure the back stud - and seal the leak - and replace the manifold.

So, hopefully that's all it is.
Old 05-07-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

I knew that hole story was BS. Hopefull you'll be running soon.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 06-25-2012
sv Cordelia

Well, problem fixed. Had the delayed maiden sail this Saturday and went out again Sunday. Engine water temp never got over 150 degrees.

Sibley rethreaded the studs holding on the manifold and reinstalled them - adding a little JB Weld to stop any leaking. The water plate was rusted through and he replaced that as well. Also added a new set of spark plugs and tested the pressure. All for only about $400 more than the previous mechanic charged to remove, rebuild and never re-install the carburetor.

Saturday was great sailing. Pretty smooth seas and a nice steady wind. GPS registered 7 knots – which I think is pretty good for an old 27 footer.