SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   Mechanic? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/86816-mechanic.html)

Nicklaus 04-29-2012 04:56 PM

Mechanic?

Anyone know of a good mechanic in or around Deale that has experience with a finicky Atomic 4?

I know it's a busy time of year for mechanics / boat yards, but I've been waiting two weeks for mine to remove and replace a broken bolt in my manifold - more annoying part is the lack communication on whether or not it's fixed.

Today's too nice a day not to be sailing.

dacap06 04-29-2012 06:18 PM

Re: Mechanic?

Have you tried asking your marina staff who they'd recommend?

Nicklaus 04-29-2012 07:15 PM

I'm using the mechanic they recommended.

Most of the other people at my marina take their boats up the Bay for work. Not sure what they do if the engine needs more than scheduled work.

travlineasy 04-29-2012 08:53 PM

You may want to contact the folks at Moyer Marine--that's what they specialize in. Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Engine Rebuilding and Parts

Good Luck,

Gary :cool:

T37SOLARE 04-29-2012 09:31 PM

I know a guy in Deale who only works on A-4's as a retired University professor and is highly recommended by Moyers, just don't have his contact info. Give me a few days and I'll get you his contact info.

bljones 04-29-2012 10:10 PM

I hate removing busted rusted manifold bolts. I REALLY hate removing busted and rusted manifold bolts on a boat. Dirty, nasty, sweaty, cramped, and HUGELY time consuming. You may gulp when you get the bill.

CalebD 04-29-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T37SOLARE (Post 864950)
I know a guy in Deale who only works on A-4's as a retired University professor and is highly recommended by Moyers, just don't have his contact info. Give me a few days and I'll get you his contact info.

Will Sibley?
He works on diesels too so can't be your guy.

BubbleheadMd 04-30-2012 07:44 AM

I was going to volunteer to help until I got to the part where the problem is a busted bolt. My aim is terrible when drilling those things out. :(

Nicklaus 04-30-2012 09:09 AM

Yes, it is tight and cramped back there.

More frustrating is that the same mechanic replaced the manifold last season - why he didn't use new bolts then...

BubbleheadMd 04-30-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicklaus (Post 865114)
Yes, it is tight and cramped back there.

More frustrating is that the same mechanic replaced the manifold last season - why he didn't use new bolts then...

Wait- Can you remove the rest of the bolts and the manifold so that we can drill the busted bolt out of the manifold on a work bench or something? I'm having trouble envisioning this exactly.