Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012

4arch is on a distinguished road
Re: Kent narrows vs. around Kent Island

Traveling to St. Michaels from Rock Hall via the narrows saves you about 17 miles or +/- 3 hours. Sometimes I'd rather spend those 3 hours sailing and other times I'd rather have them to hang out in the town, check out the CBMM, kick back in my cockpit while on the hook, or go exploring in the dinghy. But I do try to avoid the narrows on weekends (especially holidays) and I try to run at slack tide.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

the Marina with the BIG boats at it. first on the left I think. Good things are the Acme Market a short walk up the hill. and Carpenter street Tavern

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-08-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We travel through the narrows frequently and draw 4'6" no sweat. As far as the current, nothing that woudl make me go around...never had any trouble with it even waiting foir the bridge,. If it is behind you I usually find my place in line and turn around facing it feathering the enginge until the bridge opens...usually confounds the powerboaters.

If you are looking for peace and quiet anchorage hand a left at the Wye River on the way to St Mikes. Shaw Bay and Dividfing Creek are a few of the good spots,

Santa Domingo as mentioned on the other side of St Micheals, but will takew some time to get there. join the museum and stay for nothing.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-08-2012

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
We love the Acme market! Lol

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 05-09-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old 05-08-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Love how they Card anyone at any age that's buying alcoholic drinks?

my current "project"!
Old 05-08-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Love how they Card anyone at any age that's buying alcoholic drinks?
Yeah, I know. Gettin' carded at age 71 is a hoot!

Gary
Old 05-09-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

I fully acknowledge that St. Mike's is a beautiful place to visit, but it certainly can be expensive.

I really feel that Oxford, up in the Tred Avon River is greatly underrated as a place to visit. It's every bit as beautiful at St. Mike's, historical, less crowded, and less "touristy". Plenty of anchorage, and affordable slips and facilities at Mear's Yacht Haven.

On the other hand, maybe I shouldn't be plugging the place. I like the peace and quiet when I visit there.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 05-09-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post

On the other hand, maybe I shouldn't be plugging the place. I like the peace and quiet when I visit there.
Too late. It's going on my list. We like St. M but we're ready for something else.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 05-09-2012

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

a. Stay in the Wye River; it's lovely and within quick passage to St. Mikes, where you would anchor for the day only. Personally, I don't like St. Mikes enough to stay there too long.

b. I've been through the narrows many times and think it is pretty cassual (draft 3.5 feet, but I never saw less than 7 feet). The mistake too many make is crowding the bridge. Since it opens on the hour (check the sched), I always wait back about 1/2 mile where it is wider and less crowded, and then slowly move up. I've had to wait over an hour before when I just missed; it was dull, but not difficult. With the engines at idle, I marked time.

But there is no way I'm going to recomend going both ways, for the expereince (). Kidding aside, that would be a good plan, based upon the weather.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 05-09-2012

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

I don't get all the hype about St Mikes being so expensive? Sure, if you stay at the Inn at Perry's Cabin or take a transient slip at one of the town marinas it gonna be $$$...but that hasn't been my experience and I have been visiting the town since I was a kid.

At least during the high season, you don't go to there if you want peace and quiet? You go there to eat out (there are/were a few great places to eat), walk the town, be around people, enjoy the maritime museum, see one of the shows such as the wooden boat show in the fall, etc...

Its a great stop to restock on supplies as the Acme is a short walk from the docks. The people at Higgins Yacht Yard/Marina are always very friendly and helpful. In fact, several years ago (prior to Windgeist) I had to purchase a starting battery from them, they were about to close, but they found one for me and charged me no more than what I would have paid at an auto store. I've purchased ice from them several times, they let me fill my water tanks and empty my trash with the purchase of a few bags of ice, how is that expensive.

Are sailors really that cheap?

Oxford is great visit! (almost bought a bed and breakfast there many years ago). It has a totally different personality than STM. Be sure to stop in and see Cutts and Case boat builders while you're there. Good crab house there right on the Tred Avon, cant recall its name though? They have slips you can use while dining.

Anyway, I don't want to go off topic anymore than I already have
chef2sail and travlineasy like this.

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 05-17-2012 at 06:27 AM. Reason: lol...i spelled piece instead of peace

Tags
kent narrows , shoaling , st. michael's