Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012

Eric1968 is on a distinguished road
Kent narrows vs. around Kent Island

I'm doing a cruise May 18-21 out of Rock Hall, with st. Michael's as one destination. I'm reading "Cruising the Chesapeake: a gunkholer's guide" and getting a profusion of ideas. Is it worthwhile to go through Kent narrows to get there (shorter distance), or too tricky due to shoaling? Maybe I could go one way (it will be fun to sail under the Bay Bridge) and come back the other? Also, I've heard the marinas in St Michael's are expensive, any nearby marinas/anchorages that you advise?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2012

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Re: Kent narrows vs. around Kent Island

It depends..need more description of your vessel.

Regards,

Clay
s/v 'Tango'

Last edited by aa3jy; 05-07-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-07-2012
But if not...

paperbird is on a distinguished road

Couple thoughts.

Yes - St Michaels marinas are expensive. If you're willing to pay, you might consider mooring at the Maritime Museum. Worth a visit!

There is lots of room to anchor at St Michaels. Some of it inside, lots of it outside. The water taxi runs both inside and outside.

There's also a couple other places close by: Leeds and Hunting Creek. Nice, calm, secluded.

Regarding Kent Narrows - haven't been through there for a couple years. Used to be well marked. Lots of boats go thru there, did it several times, but never really felt comfortable.
Old 05-07-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

If you're really trying to save money visiting St Michaels, anchor around the "back side" on San Domingo Creek - only about a 3-block walk into town and a lot quieter than the St Michaels side.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 05-07-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Kent Narrows has a nasty current to contend with. Unless you have a fair amount of engine power on your boat I would not attempt the narrows passage. It would be real easy to be swept into the draw-bridge during a hard, outgoing tide. And, when the tide is running hard, you have power your way between the draw spans at a fairly high rate of speed in order to maintain steerage. As for navigational problems, the channel is fairly wide and deep, and well marked.

Good Luck,

Gary
Old 05-07-2012

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Whats the draft of your vessel?

We have transited the narrows many times with no issues, but we only draw 4'. I think you have the right idea though...do Eastern Bay and under the bay bridge on the way down, and the narrows on the way back. Keep in mind the current in the narrows can be pretty quick, add waiting for the draw bridge to open and the traffic, it can be exhilarating. Be sure to call the bridge tender to get right of way info if you're unsure. The bridge opens on the half hour BTW.

I am not much for staying in marinas if there is room to anchor, and there is near St Michaels. If you want to be out of the harbor, anchor off Parrott Point on the Miles. You could go inside the harbor and drop the hook off the Maritime Museum or The Inn at Perry's Cabin, we have done this many times in the off season. Another option as wingNwing suggest, San Domingo Creek on the "back side" of St Michaels. Another, I have never been, but Leeds Creek is an option if you have a dingy. Should also mention there is a water taxi service, not sure when their season starts though?

Good luck

Last edited by T37Chef; 05-09-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-07-2012

Eric1968 is on a distinguished road

I forgot to mention, the boat I'm chartering is a Hunter 34, draft is 4' 6". 27 hp diesel, nothing high powered.
Eric
Old 05-08-2012

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric1968 View Post
I forgot to mention, the boat I'm chartering is a Hunter 34, draft is 4' 6". 27 hp diesel, nothing high powered.
Eric
No problem..Just time your passage with tides and current go'n in you favor..and honor the temp. bouyes that appear outside the main channel due to shoaling..

Regards,

Clay
s/v 'Tango
Cabo Rico '34
Old 05-08-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

2 yrs ago we sailed around... I mean that's why we were on the bay right? to sail? KN I don't know that I'll ever bother going through there.. no point inho. When In St M's we anchored right across from the Museum for 3 day. The hook wouldn't break loose without the 2 of us working up a sweat! hard mud like cement. I was charged $15 for one bag of trash and maybe 20 gals of fresh water.. I'd say yeah.. plan on spending lots of $$$ there.

My boat is for sale.
Old 05-08-2012

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Wow...what did you use? Bottled water to fill your tanks?

Tags
kent narrows , shoaling , st. michael's