SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Crossing the sandbar at Harrington Harbor North, Deale

6K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  arf145 
#1 ·
I'm new to the Harrington Harbor North marina and have seen a few sailboats crossing the sandbar.

I've got 4' of draft

Does anyone here cross it regularly or confidently with a draft equal or greater than mine?

#3 ·
I'm new to the Harrington Harbor North marina and have seen a few sailboats crossing the sandbar.

I've got 4' of draft

Does anyone here cross it regularly or confidently with a draft equal or greater than mine?
We recently relocated to Shipwright from HHS. We have friends at North that say it can be crossed with more that 4' of keel, but we haven't tried it yet. We're hoping for an opportunity to follow them across the first time we attempt it.

As I understand, the cut is close to the breakwater leaving Tracy's/Rockhold not further towards the 1 as you might expect.

#6 ·
We've done it once or twice on my buddy's C&C35 MkIII (with centerboard). I think he draws close to 4' with the board up, and he only does it at high tide.

I think it's safe to give it a try, but the first few times especially, I'd proceed slowly, closely monitor the depth finder, and only attempt it at high tide.

#7 ·
I draw about 4 ft and have thought about crossing the bar, but I prefer less public spots to run aground. ;)
I've thought about trying at the flood side of low tide (waiting to float off, rather than getting hooked up to a red boat with flashing lights, and drug off the bar) and dropping waypoints across, but haven't quite gotten the balls to do it.
Maybe this year. If you see a PSC 31 out on the bar for a lenghty time, we're just cleaning the bottom!:D

#8 ·
We've done it once or twice on my buddy's C&C35 MkIII (with centerboard). I think he draws close to 4' with the board up, and he only does it at high tide-Bubblehead.
FYI....C&C35MKIII draws 4'2 board up..no equipment..no water. Usually more like 4'6"

Dave

#15 ·
All the time, for 20 years. I draw 3.5 feet.

As for those who state that it is 6-feet, perhaps some places and some times, but I promise you there are 4-foot spots at extreme low tide. It just depends on exactly where you cross and how many times you cross. I've never hit, but I've seen some low numbers many times and I know my sounder to be acurate within inches (we often anchor and swim in shallow areas). Pay attention. The chart is not wrong.

Most of the time, most places, about 6 feet.

#18 ·
I went across the bar a couple times in May just to try. You just have to be careful where you pick to cross and watch the depth gauge.

HHS had some great fireworks last night. We caught the bus from HHN and made it just in time for the show.

Happy 4th of July everyone!

#23 ·
OK, I finally got the nerve up to do this last Saturday, and it worked like a charm! Travelling on a course of 140 deg from Rockhold Creek #1 at close to a lowish high tide, we saw 8 feet of water through the sandbar. Doing this could really cut down on our motoring time when daysailing! I plan to try it at low tide too--we draw 5 ft BTW.

#24 ·
And remember that the further north you get, it can get very thin way out. You still need to give the north shore at least 1/2-mile almost all the way.

#25 ·
For sure. Which is why it would be important to head at 140, which takes you southeast and away from the wider and shallower north end. Just looking at the chart, heading due east from Rockhold #1 would definitely not work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.