SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   Crossing the sandbar at Harrington Harbor North, Deale (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/87422-crossing-sandbar-harrington-harbor-north-deale.html)

sccndc 05-15-2012 02:40 PM

Crossing the sandbar at Harrington Harbor North, Deale
 
I'm new to the Harrington Harbor North marina and have seen a few sailboats crossing the sandbar.

I've got 4' of draft

Does anyone here cross it regularly or confidently with a draft equal or greater than mine?

jsaronson 05-15-2012 03:09 PM

Re: Crossing the sandbar at Harrington Harbor North, Deale
 
I've got 6.5 foot draft and would not try it again with mine, but you should be able to clear it.

PalmettoSailor 05-15-2012 03:16 PM

Re: Crossing the sandbar at Harrington Harbor North, Deale
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sccndc (Post 871441)
I'm new to the Harrington Harbor North marina and have seen a few sailboats crossing the sandbar.

I've got 4' of draft

Does anyone here cross it regularly or confidently with a draft equal or greater than mine?

We recently relocated to Shipwright from HHS. We have friends at North that say it can be crossed with more that 4' of keel, but we haven't tried it yet. We're hoping for an opportunity to follow them across the first time we attempt it.

As I understand, the cut is close to the breakwater leaving Tracy's/Rockhold not further towards the 1 as you might expect.

sccndc 05-15-2012 04:24 PM

Re: Crossing the sandbar at Harrington Harbor North, Deale
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor (Post 871452)
We recently relocated to Shipwright from HHS. We have friends at North that say it can be crossed with more that 4' of keel, but we haven't tried it yet. We're hoping for an opportunity to follow them across the first time we attempt it.

As I understand, the cut is close to the breakwater leaving Tracy's/Rockhold not further towards the 1 as you might expect.

The location of the crossing point makes sense because the tidal flow funnels through the harbor channel.

Nicklaus 05-15-2012 05:25 PM

Re: Crossing the sandbar at Harrington Harbor North, Deale
 
If someone has done this, I too, would be VERY interested. Cutting my motor time down from 40 minutes to 5 would be amazing.

I've heard that if you head straight out of the sea wall and continue on that heading you can make it. I've never tried, so would really like to hear from someone who has.

BubbleheadMd 05-16-2012 07:44 AM

Re: Crossing the sandbar at Harrington Harbor North, Deale
 
We've done it once or twice on my buddy's C&C35 MkIII (with centerboard). I think he draws close to 4' with the board up, and he only does it at high tide.

I think it's safe to give it a try, but the first few times especially, I'd proceed slowly, closely monitor the depth finder, and only attempt it at high tide.

bjung 05-16-2012 08:03 AM

Re: Crossing the sandbar at Harrington Harbor North, Deale
 
I draw about 4 ft and have thought about crossing the bar, but I prefer less public spots to run aground. ;)
I've thought about trying at the flood side of low tide (waiting to float off, rather than getting hooked up to a red boat with flashing lights, and drug off the bar) and dropping waypoints across, but haven't quite gotten the balls to do it.
Maybe this year. If you see a PSC 31 out on the bar for a lenghty time, we're just cleaning the bottom!:D

chef2sail 05-16-2012 08:58 AM

Re: Crossing the sandbar at Harrington Harbor North, Deale
 
Quote:

We've done it once or twice on my buddy's C&C35 MkIII (with centerboard). I think he draws close to 4' with the board up, and he only does it at high tide-Bubblehead.
FYI....C&C35MKIII draws 4'2 board up..no equipment..no water. Usually more like 4'6"

Dave

bjung 06-07-2012 09:26 AM

Re: Crossing the sandbar at Harrington Harbor North, Deale
 
This was printed in the HH Harbour Watch newsletter.
From Rockhold Creek #1 head straight for Herring Bay#1 with a heading of 140deg. for 6' of water at low tide across Long Bar.
Courtesy of fishing boat "Patent Pending" out of HHN.

Nicklaus 06-07-2012 10:05 AM

Re: Crossing the sandbar at Harrington Harbor North, Deale
 
Thanks. Nice to have.

Looking at it on the charts, seems to back up what I've heard about heading straight out the Rockhold channel and keeping that bearing.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012