SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   Is Ch 27 automatic radio check dead in Tochester? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/88404-ch-27-automatic-radio-check-dead-tochester.html)

MastUndSchotbruch 06-09-2012 10:19 AM

Is Ch 27 automatic radio check dead in Tochester?

Could not raise it last weekend. Is it my radio or doesn't it work anymore?

ronbo1 06-10-2012 06:56 PM

Re: Is Ch 27 automatic radio check dead in Tochester?

Ch 27 worked today 6/10/12 in Rock Hall.

MastUndSchotbruch 06-11-2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronbo1 (Post 883056)
Ch 27 worked today 6/10/12 in Rock Hall.

Thanks.

Hm, will try to call it again today.

CalebD 06-11-2012 01:45 PM

Sounds like you might have a VHF problem.
Ch. 27 worked fine this weekend in Annapolis.

MastUndSchotbruch 06-11-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalebD (Post 883357)
Sounds like you might have a VHF problem.
Ch. 27 worked fine this weekend in Annapolis.

Thank you.

It may be time to retire the 15 year old VHF...

The SH with built-in AIS looks mighty attractive :)

travlineasy 06-13-2012 12:05 AM

Might a corroded antenna connection(s). VHF radios are really tough, and most of those on sail boats are not exposed to the elements like those aboard power boats. Consequently, they seem to last forever. Use a multimeter and check the connections before shelling out the money for a new one. I though mine dropped dead while at the rendezvous, stopped at west marine and picked up a new one today. While removing the old one the radio suddenly came to life. Turned out to be a corroded crimp connection on the negative power line. I removed both crimps, soldered and heat shrinked the connections, and my 15-year-old VHF still works like a champ.

Good Luck,

Gary :cool:

MastUndSchotbruch 06-13-2012 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travlineasy (Post 884083)
Might a corroded antenna connection(s). VHF radios are really tough, and most of those on sail boats are not exposed to the elements like those aboard power boats. Consequently, they seem to last forever. Use a multimeter and check the connections before shelling out the money for a new one. I though mine dropped dead while at the rendezvous, stopped at west marine and picked up a new one today. While removing the old one the radio suddenly came to life. Turned out to be a corroded crimp connection on the negative power line. I removed both crimps, soldered and heat shrinked the connections, and my 15-year-old VHF still works like a champ.

Good Luck,

Gary :cool:

I do admit that I suspect an antenna connection. It has been on my 'check out' list for some time.

But where would then be my excuse to buy one of the cool new models with integrated AIS ? :D

MastUndSchotbruch 06-19-2012 09:26 PM

You were dead right! I checked the antenna connection (in the bilge) and it was badly corroded. Re-soldered it and got a beautiful signal from Tolchester Radio!

[yes, I know a connection in the bilge is not ideal. Will have a more permanent solution at some time...]

chef2sail 06-20-2012 09:24 AM

If its in the bilge can you make it waterproof by getting some of the shrink electrical tubes you use for crimping connections and make it waterproof.

Dave

MastUndSchotbruch 06-20-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 886876)
If its in the bilge can you make it waterproof by getting some of the shrink electrical tubes you use for crimping connections and make it waterproof.

Dave

You are right. I should do a better job on that.

On the list for the next visit to the boat...

tx