Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2012

wavedancer38 is on a distinguished road
Sailabration today

Was anyone else out on the bay today watching the tall ships come in? It was a beautiful day with sunny skies and high winds gusting to about 27. We reefed the sails and put on our working jib. Normally these high winds would be a little uncomfortable but with the smaller jib we were under control. We sailed right along the shipping channel sailing closely by the tall ships who were staying with in the channel. Made for some great photo opportunities.
dacap06 and kb3pwc like this.

Last edited by wavedancer38; 06-13-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-2012

kb3pwc is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailabration today

Hope you will post some pictures, Wavedancer 38. I will be trying to get to Baltimore via land Saturday. I missed the last time they were in many years ago. Do not want to miss it this go round.

Leslie

s/v Tango, Cabo Rico 34
Lankford Bay Marina,,,,finally launched.
Old 06-13-2012

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06

Oh, how I wanted to! I had planned to take off but at the last minute my main customer said they needed me.
Pasadena, MD
Old 06-13-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Dan's still pretty fragile after (NON-cancer) surgery Monday, so we missed this opportunity. We'll visit them in Baltimore on Monday, and hope to catch the departure on Tues AM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 06-13-2012

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Sounds awesome, I wish we had been able to get out to see them. The last time I saw the tall ships sailing was in 1976 when I was just a kid, I remeber it well.

We're sailing on the Skipjack Sigsbee Friday to see the practice session for the Blue Angels and to view some of the ships by boat, cant wait!

We're also getting a private tour of the Eagle on Sunday and then we're headed over to a secret spot to tailgate and watch the Blue Angels show on Sunday afternoon.

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 06-15-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-15-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Sounds great! We saw the Eagle sailing in the lower Chesapeake Bay last autumn as we were southbound; so graceful. We're looking forward to seeing her up close - we plan on going to Baltimore on Monday.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 06-16-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We are sitting in a little cove across from Ft McHenry on the middle thoroughfare right in the acrobatic box for the Blue Angels. They let 100 vessels in here then closed off the river. The Coast Gaurd basis surrounded and told us wecantmove till 4 . We can't wait for the show to start. We hope Donna and John found a good spot as we saw them last night at the club and I know they were headed here today

We got up at 6:30 slipped away from our slip and got to go up into Inner Harbor before we anchored. We saw all the big tall ships replete with flags as well as all the navy ships in Locust Point. On the way up we passed Mike (MGM head) and his wife in Rhythm...looking good. Didn't realize it was him till we passed.

Hopefully we get more good pictures of the Blue Angels. We will post later.

Donna and Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-16-2012

4arch is on a distinguished road

We made it down to our temporary slip in Canton last weekend and went Thursday evening to take a spin around the inner harbor. Some of the ships down there are really impressive and it was great to see them from the water! We're heading back down to the boat later this afternoon to watch tonight's fireworks from the slip and we'll probably be able to catch the air show from there tomorrow also.

Here's some pictures from Thursday evening...

dacap06 and travlineasy like this.
Old 06-16-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

The air show will not be visible very much from that branch. Try to get over to Ft McHenry as most of the acrobatics take place in front of the Fort down to the Med Star hospital on the the middle branch. For security reasons they don't want to go up the branch the tall ships and marinas are on. You will be able to see some of the show, but not much as most takes place at a most water level.

It was truly remarkable and loud and we had ringside seats

We are anchored on the Bodkin for the evening.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-17-2012
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road

We saw the show anchored on the line of the acrobatic box off Vane Bros. it was absolutely incredible! Such precision flying. Fast and loud. Several times it looked like they were only a few feet above our mast.

The display or parade of aircraft preceding the Angels was interesting. To see that huge transport plane come in low and then try to soar skyward as if it was trying to compete with the crack acrobatic team was interesting. The early AWACS planes were interesting as well. A notable absence was the A10 Warthogs. Where were they? I expected them there but not a one!

We then had to return to Rock Creek to pick up crew and didn't have time to tool around the harbor and see the ships. However, we were treated to a very nice sail until the wind fizzled southeast of the bridge. Oh, we found out what happened to the sixth Angel who was missing for part of the show. He was over a motorcross race where our friend / crew was working in southern Maryland doing some stunts over them.

We then went to dinner at the new restaurant on the Creek: Mikes. We ate inside since the wait for tables outside was much too long. They need to put some sound deadening in there as the acoustics are that of a gymnasium. The decore is bland as well. The food was ok, nothing spectacular. Wait staff were attentive. They need a dingy dock as it was a challenge getting there from our anchorage on the creek. The notifier they give you reaches out in the creek. So we were alerted of our table inboard our boat at anchor.

Tod