SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   Rock Hall Transportation Update (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/88713-rock-hall-transportation-update.html)

DRFerron 06-18-2012 11:31 AM

Rock Hall Transportation Update

They don't call it the Rock Hall trolly any longer, but the Rock Hall Blue Crab Crawler and the Osprey Flyer are now operational as of 15 June. Cost is $1 per trip.

It would be great if anyone could purchase a season pass but as far as I know, only property owners can for $35.

wavedancer38 06-18-2012 11:51 AM

Re: Rock Hall Transportation Update

Good to know, thanks for sharing the news!

4arch 06-18-2012 01:04 PM

Its good to hear a transport service is back up and running - and the price is right!

That said, Ive always thought the RH transportation issues could be significantly reduced by getting more bikes on the roads. RH is a very bikeable town but the $4-5 per hour bike rental rates most of the marinas charge for transients dont exactly encourage people to use bikes for anything beyond brief errands or quick joyrides around town. If my wife and I wanted to take two bikes across town for a few hours to go to dinner wed be looking at $30 and it would be even worse if we wanted to be ambitious and spend an afternoon exploring Eastern Neck Wildlife Refuge. There are several times wed have been happy to pay $30 or so if we could have used the bike all day or all weekend but its quite steep just for a ride to dinner.

DRFerron 06-18-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4arch (Post 885965)
...RH is a very bikeable town but the $4-5 per hour bike rental rates most of the marinas charge for transients don’t exactly encourage people to use bikes for anything beyond brief errands or quick joyrides around town. ...

Interesting. I thought our bikes at Osprey Point/Gratitude were free to anyone in a slip. I'm checking on that.

Edit: Just got confirmation that the bikes are free and they've just ordered new ones to replace the old fleet. Internet access is free as well.

4arch 06-18-2012 02:33 PM

Edit: Thanks Donna! Maybe we've been staying in the wrong places in RH! I think a couple marinas have gone back and forth on charging or not charging over the years, but it doesn't get publicized.

DRFerron 06-18-2012 02:39 PM

You're welcome. Gratitude has a new service manager and he has replaced or ordered more of a bunch of stuff. He's very visible and accommodating.

aa3jy 06-19-2012 07:41 AM

Lankford Bay Marina provides a small bus into town on weekends..