SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Crab Pots in Rhodes and West Rivers

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  T37SOLARE 
#1 ·
It's been several years since anchoring in the Rhode River. Are the crab pots out in force as you approach the West and Rhode River?

#6 ·
I just passed through the entrance to the West River two days ago. The crab pots are just showing up in force. The good news is that the 'float free' zone for the channel is apparently in effect and with DNR floating markers in place.

The real good news is almost the entire MD portion of the Bay is absolutely 'swimming' with migrating small/teeny crabs. The early predictions of a very good crab harvest seem to becoming correct ..... yum.

#8 ·
I live on the Rhode. The float free channel certainly exists, but the crabbers aren't exactly precise about adhering to it.

If you arrive during the day, you'll have no problems. If you arrive after dark, have someone on the bow with a sun-gun to spot for you.

#10 ·
So if you snag one in the no float zone can you keep the crabs in the trap? Only seems fair.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
Yes, but only after you clear the line wrapped around your prop shaft, and that means swimming with the jellyfish....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.