Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Pirates and Wenches Festival, Rock Hall

I'll be the first to admit that I was skeptical. In fact, as I've mentioned, in the past we have left town the weekend of the Pirates and Wenches Festival. I had always heard how it was just an excuse to get drunk and party so, while I don't need an excuse, add a crowd and it just wasn't something that interested me.

This weekend we stayed and had a blast. True, it really is an excuse for the town to party with a theme, but whatever. Perhaps things are different at night after the pub crawls, but Saturday afternoon we had a fun couple of hours watching the activities at the beach where the dinghy race ended. Music, lots of people in costume (mostly not historically correct I found out), vehicles decorated with pirate gear and odd mechanical contraptions that had me imagining steam punk, food, kids having fun.

Saturday night it stormed so we decided not to trek to the harbor for the fireworks and concert. We figured it wasn't happening anyway. We made sure that our boat was stocked with food as the restaurants had no more reservations available months ago when I called.

Sunday morning we rode our bikes into the center of town and visited the vendors. I bought a giant pirate flag for next year's festival We drank a mimosa and chocolate shakes and watched the sites and listened to the period music.

We just made it to Muskrat Alley on Sunday morning for our crab quiche before they ran out of food.

Then the parade of boats out of Swan Creek started. It's amazing how many boats can get packed in back there.

A very nice time that we hope to repeat. Maybe the trick to enjoying the weekend is not to go out after dark.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2012

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Re: Pirates and Wenches Festival, Rock Hall

We could hear the Pirate shenanigans(cannons) all the way over by Cacaway Island. In fact we had our own freight when a Benneteu decided to lose its only little piece of Lankford Creek real estate and started to proceed into our boat during Saturday night's storm..
Old 08-15-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

We were frustrated to still be on the hard, meaning we went by car (and had to come home early, rather than stagger to the boat in a marina slip there). Turned out just as well, as we got back to Annapolis just in time to batten down our hatches for the storms. And as Donna said, might also be more enjoyable to miss the going out after dark part anyway.

Hoping to repeat the experience next year!

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 08-15-2012
Banned

ParadiseParrot is on a distinguished road

Tampa has the best Pirate Festival Hands Down.

Gasparilla Rocks
Old 08-15-2012

sawingknots is on a distinguished road

I kindof know what a wench is but whats a pirate?,long live long john silver?
Old 08-26-2012

swampcreek is on a distinguished road

We had a blast last year. We couldn't go this year since we were selling our boat that weekend. It's gone, we're boatless...At the moment. We'll be there next year in our "new to us" boat!
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

Life should be an adventure, not a guided tour!
Not all of us in the herd are sheep.
Old 08-29-2012

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

I might be treading on thin ice here..but maybe all this political correctness has finally affected me..but I'm having trouble with this 'celebration' of Pirates day in Rock Hall or any other place for that matter..

Supposed someone dressed like a modern day pirate meaning a Sri Lanka or Somilia type with his typical armament of a AK47 and grenade launcher and showed up at one of these fests...technically he's a pirate as well..

Somalia's modern day pirates use grenades, not swords, in high seas life of crime - New York Daily News

..don't think you'll find to many long distant cruisers that have navigated those 'affected' waters celebrating these kind of shenanigans not alone host the Jolly Roger...

Yes I know what some are thinking...it's not the same. But the thinking behind Piracy is the same..

Just my humble 2 cents opinion...

p.s. What's the Somalian translation for Arrrrrr...?
Old 08-29-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
I might be treading on thin ice here..but maybe all this political correctness has finally affected me..but I'm having trouble with this 'celebration' of Pirates day in Rock Hall or any other place for that matter..

Supposed someone dressed like a modern day pirate meaning a Sri Lanka or Somilia type with his typical armament of a AK47 and grenade launcher and showed up at one of these fests...technically he's a pirate as well..

Somalia's modern day pirates use grenades, not swords, in high seas life of crime - New York Daily News

..don't think you'll find to many long distant cruisers that have navigated those 'affected' waters celebrating these kind of shenanigans not alone host the Jolly Roger...

Yes I know what some are thinking...it's not the same. But the thinking behind Piracy is the same..

I think it's a bunch of clicking sounds...
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 08-29-2012

swampcreek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post

You are correct that pirates of old and pirates of today have the same goal. Rob, kidnap and destroy property. Rememberance of historical events can get bent like light in a prism. Many of us are guilty of the same thing in our personal lives, did you ever look back at a period in your life and say "yeah, they were the good old day's" when actually that time pretty much sucked except for the handful of good things you chooe to remember?

Pirates of old were dispised every bit as much as modern pirates although few today "dance the hempen jig" (Getting hanged). Not all were sea badits out for just themselves, privateeres worked for established governments. I think the romanticization of the pirates of yore are only on certain aspects of pirate life. Many of us like the idea of casting away the safety net of society and living for the moment, partying without care, the toughness, the colorful language, the snappy clothing we see (Although I'm sure there are a few exceptions but pirates did NOT where boots, most of them also probably dressed in smelly rags), we all have a little rebellion in us it's human nature. Being sailors we're pretty much more at risk than most in falling into the romanticization, we sail, they sail, we meet hostilities at sea...well mostly nasty looks from weekend warriors in Bayliners. I think about the similarities of ancient and modern pirates and even mention to friends while attending these very events, we all acknowledge the facts and then disconnect our minds, talk funny, party, and act like people who aren't quite right...Adult Halloween.

I did read the word "Cruising" has it's roots in piracy, cruising ment sailing with no particular land destination, just zig zag the shipping lanes looking for a prize...ARRRR!
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

Life should be an adventure, not a guided tour!
Not all of us in the herd are sheep.
Old 08-29-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

I'm guessing our modern fascination comes from the frustrations of "real life" for so many - staring at a computer screen in a gray cubicle for 40+ hours per week would have anyone romanticizing life as a rebel on the open seas.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project: