Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: Western Shore Marina Recommendations

Well I suppose it depends on how critical the upgrades are. The season is winding down rapidly so if it were me, I'd look for a good monthly slip rate and sail the boat through October at least. On our haul out years (we haul every other year) we usually won't haul until after Thanksgiving but you might want to haul a bit earlier to get a jump on the work you want done.

The only thing you mention that rasies flags was the propane system. If there are problems with that, they need to be addressed before you use the boat, but its likely they could be addressed just as easily with the boat in the water as on land.

The rest of the stuff you mention sounds like the kind of work best done on the hard over the winter. HHN has the tradesmen to do the work you are looking for and they will likely be a tad cheaper than Annapolis though still expensive by my measure.

Edit to add, I don't think there really is such a thing as "dry storage" for 38' keelboats at HHN. There are certainly service bays where vendors do fiberglass and paint work but I think they are only for boats undergoing repair and they get moved outside once the work is done. Shrinkwrapping is a popular option to protect boats at HH marina's.
jasn likes this.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 08-31-2012 at 07:03 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-2012

jasn is on a distinguished road
Re: Western Shore Marina Recommendations

Great advice PalmettoSailor.

I figure that since I'm looking to hire a delivery captain, they will be able to help me fix, tweak, and/or upgrade any systems that are necessary prior to the delivery trip from FL to MD. Given that, it may be more fun for me to spend the fall months sailing the bay, before doing any serious upgrade work on her.

BTW, my mention of electrical and propane, were meant as ideas I had about doing upgrades, not mentions of systems I think aren't working. For example, I would like to upgrade the propane system to larger tanks, and upgrading the electrical to add more batteries and more solar panels, etc.

Thanks again..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook