Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2012

jasn is on a distinguished road
Western Shore Marina Recommendations

Hi All,

(My first post, as I anticpate being a sailboat owner very soon.) The 38' keelboat I'm looking to purchase is in Florida, and I will likely take the recommendation of the selling broker and have a delivery captain sail it to me here on the Western shore of the Chesapeake.

(BTW, is it general consensus that self-delivery is better than having it trucked up here?)

So since I live, (dirt dwell?), in Maryland, (pretty close to Herrington Harbor), I was hoping to have folks share recommended marinas suggestions, for folks who live here. The amenities that would rank as important for me, would be cost, safety, ability to do haulouts for either service or storage, and great service/support staff.

Thanks..

Jason
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2012
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Western Shore Marina Recommendations

Congrats on your "new" boat and welcome to Sailnet. Regarding your question about delivery options, I think the best option is for you to hire a delivery captain to deliver the boat to you and you come along as crew. The captain (should have US Coast Guard license) would be in charge and responsible for navigation and boat operation and you would participate in helping pilot, crew and other boat tasks. You will gain immeasurable knowledge of your boat and how it operates, how to get it to perform at its optimal best, like having your personal trainer with you, every step of the way. If you cannot do that due to time constraints or other commitments then it becomes a decision based more on money / cost. The trucking option is quick, safe and efficient. It is pricey. To hire a captain also can be pricey and other tangible and intangible costs are involved such as the need to wait out weather when making those off-shore hops, equipment failure and breakdowns on this boat you don't know about beyond the survey, and other unanticipated issues. I would get estimates of costs for both options and carefully decide.

The marina options are plentiful in your area. Herrington Harbor North is a good option as they are competent and responsive. There are other good marina options there as well and marine supply is convenient. The main drawback is having to sail down to the bottom of Herring Bay to go other places. The cruising area is very good as well with lots of great destinations once you round Herring Bay R2 mark.

South River and West River have options as well. There are marinas in Selby Bay. I am not familiar with them but others are. Selby Bay is close to the Chesapeake which is good. West River's main detractor are the high number of crab pots you must avoid, particularly at the junction with the Rhode River. Both rivers have high powerboat numbers which can be annoying due to lack of a speed limit.

Continue to do your research. The closer to Annapolis, the pricier the marina. Sometimes a 20 minute drive will open up much more options for sail area and marina experience. We keep our boat on Rock Creek, off the Patapsco River and can recommend Oak Harbor highly. They have good and honest service and are good to deal with but they are probably much farther than the 20 minutes I talked about in general.

Good luck and welcome.

Tod
jameswilson29 and jasn like this.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-20-2012

Thank you Tod,

For the welcome and advice. I was thinking that I would love to crew on my new boat's delivery, so I will definitely be exploring that option. (I may be putting the horse before the cart here, as I still have to have my offer accepted, personal inspection, survey and sea trial, completed, but I'm confident that this is the one..)

I'm guessing that there's probably better expertise options in marina service and support, the farther north one gets to Annapolis. (I'm also guessing that there may be more service options meaning competition could help with service costs.) However, I live in Calvert County and would slightly prefer to have my boat at a Marina somewhere between Herrington Harbor North and points south, as it would make driving to it, a little easier. So far HHN looks like it may work out the best. I'll ping them later today to ask about rates.

Thanks again,

Jason
Old 08-20-2012

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

Jason,

Congrats!

i purchased a boat on the hard at HHN. They have some great tradesmen on site, an open yard and let you work on your boat. The West store is well stocked and the staff was above average. I did not look at dockage rates. The draft of your boat could be an issue.
One option is to look at West River Sailing Assocation. It is a condo marina, and individual slip owners set their own rental rates.
jasn likes this.
Old 08-20-2012
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasn View Post
Thank you Tod,

I'm guessing that there's probably better expertise options in marina service and support, the farther north one gets to Annapolis. (I'm also guessing that there may be more service options meaning competition could help with service costs.) Jason
I don't want to imply that the folks at Herrington Harbor North are less than experienced than Annapolis. They are very compitent and probably less expensive than marinas in Annapolis. There is an unofficial "surcharge" to having your boat worked on in Annapolis.

Hope it works out. By the way, my first posting made the assumption that the boat is capable of coastal or off shore passagemaking. That should factor in to the decision as well. A compitent boat captain or your surveyor will be able to determine that.

Again, good luck!
jasn likes this.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-20-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasn View Post
Thank you Tod,

For the welcome and advice. I was thinking that I would love to crew on my new boat's delivery, so I will definitely be exploring that option. (I may be putting the horse before the cart here, as I still have to have my offer accepted, personal inspection, survey and sea trial, completed, but I'm confident that this is the one..)

I'm guessing that there's probably better expertise options in marina service and support, the farther north one gets to Annapolis. (I'm also guessing that there may be more service options meaning competition could help with service costs.) However, I live in Calvert County and would slightly prefer to have my boat at a Marina somewhere between Herrington Harbor North and points south, as it would make driving to it, a little easier. So far HHN looks like it may work out the best. I'll ping them later today to ask about rates.

Thanks again,

Jason
Did I miss a post on why no one is recommending Herrington Harbor South if that's closer to where you live? Do you require a boat yard at your home marina or is having one associated and 1/2 an hour away good enough?

I was at HHS for 2 seasons and can attest that its a first class facility with the feel of a vacation resort. My complaint was that the place was like a vacation resort -- after two seasons I could still go to the pool and not know a soul. Plus parking was tight both our slip and for our car so we decided to try HHN and the slips they could offer me looked even more challenging than what I already had so we decided to go much lower key and try Shipwright Harbor. I can throw a rock into HHN from my boat, and its a closer walk to Calypso Bay and West Marine from my slip than some slips in HHN. SHM does look like a dump in comparison to HHS/HHN though. Despite that, So far its a good fit for us and we already know the crews of nearly a dozen boats, so to us, Shipwright is much more of a community feel. Depending on how far south you live you might also consider marina's in Solomon's. There are several that I hear good things about but I really liked Spring Cove Marina. In our search for a new slip though we decided it was too far from our home in NOVA.

There are plenty of reputable marine trades in Solomon's as well as HHN, so don't give them short shrift thinking you need to go to Annapolis to get skilled marine trades.

Good luck with whatever you decide and welcome to Sailnet.
jasn likes this.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 08-20-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-20-2012

Thanks All,

To Tod, no worries, as a matter of fact, I'm glad you posted your feedback on HHN service. It's the kind of information I was looking for, and gives me impetus to choose a marina a bit away from Annapolis. To jsaronson, thanks and I'm happy that Herrington Harbour comes recommended, and to PalmettoSailor, I will definitely add HHN/HHS, to the marinas you suggested. I currently live in Northern Calvert County, Maryland, literally 20 minutes away from HHS. So I wouldn't mind if my boat were there, or at a marina a bit farther north, or a marina a bit farther south. I'll ping them all and ask the relevant questions about rates, etc. and then decide.

Thanks again folks..

Jason

Last edited by jasn; 08-24-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 08-20-2012
But if not...

paperbird is on a distinguished road

Jason,

This is our first year at HHN so can offer some insights. We've also kept boats on the South, the Severn and the Magothy Rivers.

While it is about a 20-25 min run down 'the slot' to get around the sand bar, it's a very short run from slip to several weekend destinations (Rhode and Choptank in particular)

The thing that has struck us about HHN is the degree to which each dock is a community. Ours has a handful of live-aboards and most folks are around for some or all of every weekend. For the most parts, the boats are used, people share experiences, help each other with projects and are a delight to get to know.

We actually live in Annapolis so are driving south. But we wanted the community that HHN seemed to offer and we were looking to be close to the Choptank and closer to the southern Bay - new cruising grounds to explore!

On the transport question - if the boat is seaworthy, I'll second the recommendation to hire a skipper but go along as crew. We trucked ours up from Houston, but she wasn't she wasn't seaworthy. The more time you can spend underway, the better you'll know her!

Enjoy!
Greg
jasn likes this.
Old 08-21-2012
sv Cordelia

Nicklaus is on a distinguished road

HHS is pretty pricy compared to marinas in Rockhold Creek - though I imagine cutting out the 30 minutes of motoring around the sandbar might be worth it. At 38 ft, you might draw too much water to cut across the sand bar – which is doable.

[Just to head off people saying you could sail down to the tip of the bar, it's due south with a somewhat busy / narrow channel and the wind is often coming from the South. So it's a lot of tacking while avoiding fishing charters. I’m sure a dozen people on here do it 4 times a week.]

We have kept our boat at Paradise Marina over by Skipper’s Pier restaurant for the last two years and love it. It’s not a resort marina with a pool, but it does have a nice, new, clean bath house and the landscaping is great. There are only about 65 slips total so it has a very neighborly feel and the walk from slip to bath house / ice machine / parking is never more than a minute.

Paradise isn’t a working boatyard, but you are literally across the creek from HHN, Shipwright and several others – which is where I store my boat in the winter.

If you want a low-key marina with friendly people who are just as likely to be sitting in the shade with a drink as they are to be polishing some brass or chrome or heading out on the Bay, Paradise is the place. It’s large enough to deal with upkeep but small enough that inviting a few dozen friends out on a Saturday evening for a crawfish boil (which I’ve done) doesn’t causes a stir.

PM me if you want any contact details.
jasn likes this.
Old 08-29-2012

Thanks again for the great suggestions/confirmations Greg and Nicklaus.

I've actually contacted folks at HHN(HHS), Paradise, Rockhold Creek, as well as Town Point, marinas and I figure that one of the them will definitely be suitable for my needs.

The one thing I'm thinking now, as I go through the purchase process, is that when I get my boat here, I'm pretty sure I will want to spend time upgrading some systems, (particularly electrical, and propane). The listing broker mentioned to me already that she will need new deck paint, and that may be a good time to look at upgrading deck hardware as well.

That kind of makes me think that I should probably get her to HHN, and get her hauled out and put into dry storage. I assume that would be best because I imagine that the easiest way to do most systems upgrades, would be dry docked. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong..)

It also looks like if I went that way, I wouldn't even necessarily have to rent a marina slip until after the work was done. Anyway. I appreciate the assistance / feedback.

Thanks all..

Jason