SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   Overnight Sails on the Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/91234-overnight-sails-bay.html)

Nicklaus 08-22-2012 09:55 AM

Overnight Sails on the Bay
 
I know we've listed favorite spots to drop anchor, but I was wondering about some of people's favorite towns on the Bay.

I would like a day sail from Herring Bay, anchor up at a marina to explore the town and then spend the night on the boat.

Any suggestions - Eastern or Western shore as we might have some friends meet us by car.

Thanks,
Nick

PalmettoSailor 08-22-2012 01:43 PM

Re: Overnight Sails on the Bay
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicklaus (Post 912833)
I know we've listed favorite spots to drop anchor, but I was wondering about some of people's favorite towns on the Bay.

I would like a day sail from Herring Bay, anchor up at a marina to explore the town and then spend the night on the boat.

Any suggestions - Eastern or Western shore as we might have some friends meet us by car.

Thanks,
Nick

Assuming your friends are coming from the Greater DC area, Annapolis is the easiest place for what you want to do. It would be the shortest drive for you friends, you can get a slip or you can pick up a mooring and your friends can come out to the boat by water taxi (really cheap).

St Michaels or Oxford are also easy sails from Herring Bay, but would be a further drive for your landlubber friends. St Mike's has a lot to see/do while Oxford is more a rustic quiet get-away sort of place. If you opt for St Michaels you can go up eastern bay and down the Miles River and take a slip or try to find a place to anchor (I understand they have a water taxi at St Mikes but I've never used it) or you can go through Knapps Narrows and up St Domingo Creek to anchor and dinghy in which is my prefered way to visit.

Can't help with Oxford as its still on my to-do list.

CalebD 08-22-2012 02:12 PM

Re: Overnight Sails on the Bay
 
Practically due east of you is the Choptank which is a very nice place to sail. I've spent a very peaceful night anchored just inside La Trappe Creek off the Choptank. No marina in sight but beautiful.
Somewhat closer are the Rhode and West Rivers on the western shore. Some nice anchorages up the Rhode and a few marinas here and there. Town? Not so much.
Next up is the South River. Nice anchorages to be found in Harness Creek, no marinas.
If you want night life and a place to meet your land lubber friends then Annapolis would be your best bet. They charge you by the minute to tie up in 'Ego Alley' but they do have showers, on shore head and it is kind of fun to be right in the thick of it. I'd grab a transient mooring if I wanted to spend the night there. 1 overnight mooring should be < $100.

jameswilson29 08-22-2012 02:34 PM

Re: Overnight Sails on the Bay
 
I recommend Schellenberger's "Cruising the Chesapeake" for cruising destinations.

I like Annapolis, Baltimore, St. Michaels, Oxford, Cambridge, Chestertown, Solomon's Island, Reedville, Tangier, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, and Cape Charles. (Some of these are more than a day's sail away from your slip.)

Nicklaus 08-22-2012 04:12 PM

Re: Overnight Sails on the Bay
 
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've sailed over to Oxford before, nice sail, nice town - though seemed to have a mosquito problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameswilson29 (Post 912936)
I recommend Schellenberger's "Cruising the Chesapeake" for cruising destinations.

I like Annapolis, Baltimore, St. Michaels, Oxford, Cambridge, Chestertown, Solomon's Island, Reedville, Tangier, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, and Cape Charles. (Some of these are more than a day's sail away from your slip.)

I'll order a copy now on Amazon.

cmp1110 08-22-2012 06:22 PM

Overnight Sails on the Bay
 
In Annapolis the moorings are only 30 bucks a night and it comes with showers laundry etc. stayed two nights in June I stayed at the front of the mooring field got s little rough one night. I think it is probably way smoother in the back on the other side of the bridge

PalmettoSailor 08-22-2012 06:51 PM

Re: Overnight Sails on the Bay
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CalebD (Post 912927)
Practically due east of you is the Choptank which is a very nice place to sail. I've spent a very peaceful night anchored just inside La Trappe Creek off the Choptank. No marina in sight but beautiful.
Somewhat closer are the Rhode and West Rivers on the western shore. Some nice anchorages up the Rhode and a few marinas here and there. Town? Not so much.
Next up is the South River. Nice anchorages to be found in Harness Creek, no marinas.
If you want night life and a place to meet your land lubber friends then Annapolis would be your best bet. They charge you by the minute to tie up in 'Ego Alley' but they do have showers, on shore head and it is kind of fun to be right in the thick of it. I'd grab a transient mooring if I wanted to spend the night there. 1 overnight mooring should be < $100.

$35 for moorings suitable for boats 36+ (don't know the upper limit) and $25 for the under 35' moorings in Church Cove on Spa Creek.

Sea Dawg 08-22-2012 06:57 PM

Re: Overnight Sails on the Bay
 
We just did Deltaville to Reedville, to Solomon's Island and to Tangier. I recommend Solomon's Island. We stayed at Zahnhiser's Yacht Club but plenty of anchoring available. We borrowed their bikes and got to see the sights. Then we sailed around to Calvert Cliffs to look for shark's teeth and fossils. No jellyfish and the water was beautiful.
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w.../P1030396a.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...z/P1030394.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...z/P1020778.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...z/P1020862.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...z/P1020792.jpg

BubbleheadMd 08-23-2012 07:17 AM

Re: Overnight Sails on the Bay
 
I've heard that the channel for Tangier gets mighty thin. Any intelligence to offer on this?

Sea Dawg 08-23-2012 07:21 PM

Re: Overnight Sails on the Bay
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd (Post 913221)
I've heard that the channel for Tangier gets mighty thin. Any intelligence to offer on this?

I "heard" it on the internet too. It would be a shame to have missed the stop in Tangier and we almost skipped. The North entrance from the bay side got to 6.5' at just one point. Best Mode draws 5' and we came in and went out at about mid tide. In fact, 21 knots and 3' seas on our careful departure. We traced the GPS line right back out on our original path. I don't know about the East Side entrance, we just came in from West side and followed the markers coming in from the North pf the island. We stayed two nights as the winds howled and I wasn't keen on bouncing the bottom.
PS: No pump outs, BYOB and keep your trash onboard. Milton Parks at Parks Marina greeted us with open arms. Stay there, it's a treasure and only $30 for a 40' boat.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012