Overnight Sails on the Bay - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-22-2012
Nicklaus's Avatar
sv Cordelia
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 207
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 3
Nicklaus is on a distinguished road
Overnight Sails on the Bay

I know we've listed favorite spots to drop anchor, but I was wondering about some of people's favorite towns on the Bay.

I would like a day sail from Herring Bay, anchor up at a marina to explore the town and then spend the night on the boat.

Any suggestions - Eastern or Western shore as we might have some friends meet us by car.

Thanks,
Nick
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old 08-22-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 2,008
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 9
PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: Overnight Sails on the Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklaus View Post
I know we've listed favorite spots to drop anchor, but I was wondering about some of people's favorite towns on the Bay.

I would like a day sail from Herring Bay, anchor up at a marina to explore the town and then spend the night on the boat.

Any suggestions - Eastern or Western shore as we might have some friends meet us by car.

Thanks,
Nick
Assuming your friends are coming from the Greater DC area, Annapolis is the easiest place for what you want to do. It would be the shortest drive for you friends, you can get a slip or you can pick up a mooring and your friends can come out to the boat by water taxi (really cheap).

St Michaels or Oxford are also easy sails from Herring Bay, but would be a further drive for your landlubber friends. St Mike's has a lot to see/do while Oxford is more a rustic quiet get-away sort of place. If you opt for St Michaels you can go up eastern bay and down the Miles River and take a slip or try to find a place to anchor (I understand they have a water taxi at St Mikes but I've never used it) or you can go through Knapps Narrows and up St Domingo Creek to anchor and dinghy in which is my prefered way to visit.

Can't help with Oxford as its still on my to-do list.
__________________
PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 08-22-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old 08-22-2012
CalebD's Avatar
Tartan 27' owner
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,503
Thanks: 4
Thanked 83 Times in 76 Posts
Rep Power: 7
CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Overnight Sails on the Bay

Practically due east of you is the Choptank which is a very nice place to sail. I've spent a very peaceful night anchored just inside La Trappe Creek off the Choptank. No marina in sight but beautiful.
Somewhat closer are the Rhode and West Rivers on the western shore. Some nice anchorages up the Rhode and a few marinas here and there. Town? Not so much.
Next up is the South River. Nice anchorages to be found in Harness Creek, no marinas.
If you want night life and a place to meet your land lubber friends then Annapolis would be your best bet. They charge you by the minute to tie up in 'Ego Alley' but they do have showers, on shore head and it is kind of fun to be right in the thick of it. I'd grab a transient mooring if I wanted to spend the night there. 1 overnight mooring should be < $100.
__________________
"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old 08-22-2012
jameswilson29's Avatar
Senior Smart Aleck
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 2,011
Thanks: 25
Thanked 62 Times in 57 Posts
Rep Power: 5
jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Re: Overnight Sails on the Bay

I recommend Schellenberger's "Cruising the Chesapeake" for cruising destinations.

I like Annapolis, Baltimore, St. Michaels, Oxford, Cambridge, Chestertown, Solomon's Island, Reedville, Tangier, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, and Cape Charles. (Some of these are more than a day's sail away from your slip.)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old 08-22-2012
Nicklaus's Avatar
sv Cordelia
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 207
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 3
Nicklaus is on a distinguished road
Re: Overnight Sails on the Bay

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've sailed over to Oxford before, nice sail, nice town - though seemed to have a mosquito problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
I recommend Schellenberger's "Cruising the Chesapeake" for cruising destinations.

I like Annapolis, Baltimore, St. Michaels, Oxford, Cambridge, Chestertown, Solomon's Island, Reedville, Tangier, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, and Cape Charles. (Some of these are more than a day's sail away from your slip.)
I'll order a copy now on Amazon.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old 08-22-2012
cmp1110's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
cmp1110 is on a distinguished road
Overnight Sails on the Bay

In Annapolis the moorings are only 30 bucks a night and it comes with showers laundry etc. stayed two nights in June I stayed at the front of the mooring field got s little rough one night. I think it is probably way smoother in the back on the other side of the bridge
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old 08-22-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 2,008
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 9
PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: Overnight Sails on the Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Practically due east of you is the Choptank which is a very nice place to sail. I've spent a very peaceful night anchored just inside La Trappe Creek off the Choptank. No marina in sight but beautiful.
Somewhat closer are the Rhode and West Rivers on the western shore. Some nice anchorages up the Rhode and a few marinas here and there. Town? Not so much.
Next up is the South River. Nice anchorages to be found in Harness Creek, no marinas.
If you want night life and a place to meet your land lubber friends then Annapolis would be your best bet. They charge you by the minute to tie up in 'Ego Alley' but they do have showers, on shore head and it is kind of fun to be right in the thick of it. I'd grab a transient mooring if I wanted to spend the night there. 1 overnight mooring should be < $100.
$35 for moorings suitable for boats 36+ (don't know the upper limit) and $25 for the under 35' moorings in Church Cove on Spa Creek.
__________________
PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #8  
Old 08-22-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Chesapeake
Posts: 139
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 3
Sea Dawg is on a distinguished road
Re: Overnight Sails on the Bay

We just did Deltaville to Reedville, to Solomon's Island and to Tangier. I recommend Solomon's Island. We stayed at Zahnhiser's Yacht Club but plenty of anchoring available. We borrowed their bikes and got to see the sights. Then we sailed around to Calvert Cliffs to look for shark's teeth and fossils. No jellyfish and the water was beautiful.




jameswilson29 likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #9  
Old 08-23-2012
BubbleheadMd's Avatar
Chastened
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Edgewater/Annapolis
Posts: 2,789
Thanks: 0
Thanked 49 Times in 46 Posts
Rep Power: 5
BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Overnight Sails on the Bay

I've heard that the channel for Tangier gets mighty thin. Any intelligence to offer on this?
__________________
S/V Old Shoes
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #10  
Old 08-23-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Chesapeake
Posts: 139
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 3
Sea Dawg is on a distinguished road
Re: Overnight Sails on the Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
I've heard that the channel for Tangier gets mighty thin. Any intelligence to offer on this?
I "heard" it on the internet too. It would be a shame to have missed the stop in Tangier and we almost skipped. The North entrance from the bay side got to 6.5' at just one point. Best Mode draws 5' and we came in and went out at about mid tide. In fact, 21 knots and 3' seas on our careful departure. We traced the GPS line right back out on our original path. I don't know about the East Side entrance, we just came in from West side and followed the markers coming in from the North pf the island. We stayed two nights as the winds howled and I wasn't keen on bouncing the bottom.
PS: No pump outs, BYOB and keep your trash onboard. Milton Parks at Parks Marina greeted us with open arms. Stay there, it's a treasure and only $30 for a 40' boat.

Last edited by Sea Dawg; 08-23-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Overnight Race NautiGirlB Racing 115 03-29-2010 10:04 PM
Overnight to Salem NewsReader Mass Bay Sailors 0 06-01-2006 09:15 PM
The First Overnight Michelle Potter Learning to Sail Articles 0 03-22-2000 07:00 PM
The First Overnight Michelle Potter Her Sailnet Articles 0 03-22-2000 07:00 PM
Overnight Passaging Sue & Larry Seamanship Articles 0 09-30-1998 08:00 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:59 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012