Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
2012 Fall Annapolis Boat Show

I find myself in a position to attend the fall boat show this year, and I have a few questions:

1. I'd like to sail to the boat show. I don't require a slip, or even a mooring ball necessarily, but do you think any mooring balls will be available, will anything in the anchorages be available?

2. Dinghy access: Is there any? Is it rowable? What are the odds my dinghy will be stolen if left at a dinghy dock for several hours?

Thanks.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-2012

jsaronson is on a distinguished road
Re: 2012 Fall Annapolis Boat Show

The dinghy dock is not accessible during the show. I assume the water taxi operates, but you might want to call the Harbormaster to verify and check on mooring availablity. (410) 263-7973. It is usually first come first served.
Old 08-30-2012

nickmerc is on a distinguished road

I believe there was a temporary dignhy dock at past shows. IIRC it was piled high with dinghys and they all looked the same.

I used to live on Back Creek and would just take the water taxi over for a few dollars. You can anchor in there, but be very mindful of where and how well you anchor. Every year we had problems with people dragging and/or anchoring too close to the docks or in the middle of the channel. Anchoring there responsibly is a great option. It does fill up quickly so if you can get there on the early side you will have more options.
SVAuspicious likes this.
Old 08-30-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmerc View Post
I believe there was a temporary dignhy dock at past shows. IIRC it was piled high with dinghys and they all looked the same.

I remember this from our last show trip.

When we were in the BVI I put a bit of bright orange duct tape on our dinghy and motor so it could easily be distinguished from all the others that looked just like it. Especially at night. Might work for you at the show, too.
kb3pwc likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-30-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

If you don't mind walking a couple of extra miles you could anchor in Weems Creek.
Old 08-30-2012

sealover is on a distinguished road
2012 Fall Annapolis Boat Show

There definitely has been a dinghy dock at the show for the last 4 years. Gray inflatables with 4 horse Yamahas piled 3 deep. Take your pick!

Watched a couple ram their way through - looked like a piglet fighting for a teat.

I go by car on Saturday then put in at Sandy Point Sunday and watch them leave. Last year it coincided with trawlerfest at Inner Harbor.

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
PA Freshwater / Chesapeake
Old 08-31-2012
Chastened

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
If you don't mind walking a couple of extra miles you could anchor in Weems Creek.
Ah, that's certainly a worthy idea. I'm not opposed to walking around. Not sure where I'd tie my dinghy up though.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 08-31-2012
Chastened

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealover View Post
There definitely has been a dinghy dock at the show for the last 4 years. Gray inflatables with 4 horse Yamahas piled 3 deep. Take your pick!

Watched a couple ram their way through - looked like a piglet fighting for a teat.

I go by car on Saturday then put in at Sandy Point Sunday and watch them leave. Last year it coincided with trawlerfest at Inner Harbor.
This concerns me. My dinghy is unpowered, and without reg numbers (because they're not required). "piled 3 deep" sounds like a euphemism for "have your dinghy stolen" or simply lost because someone will take offense that you dared raft up to their dinghy.

2 years back, at the Good Old Boat Regatta, the dock was full, and I had to attend the skipper's meeting. I tied off to another dink, figuring a fellow GOBR attendee wouldn't mind, and would just tie me to the dock when they left. I found my dink about to float away when I returned. The guy just cast me adrift when he left.

What is the opinion on this? Am I violating protocol? What say you?
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 08-31-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
This concerns me. My dinghy is unpowered, and without reg numbers (because they're not required). "piled 3 deep" sounds like a euphemism for "have your dinghy stolen" or simply lost because someone will take offense that you dared raft up to their dinghy.

2 years back, at the Good Old Boat Regatta, the dock was full, and I had to attend the skipper's meeting. I tied off to another dink, figuring a fellow GOBR attendee wouldn't mind, and would just tie me to the dock when they left. I found my dink about to float away when I returned. The guy just cast me adrift when he left.

What is the opinion on this? Am I violating protocol? What say you?
Sounds like you found an a$$.

Let me drop my buddy a line to see about dink docks on Weems Creek. He goes up there every year for the show.
Old 08-31-2012

nickmerc is on a distinguished road

If you do anchor in Back Creek the water taxi will come right to your boat. I think it even goes out to Weems Creek during the show. No need to tie up the dink. I've also seen several boats anchored out near Horn Point. Not my first choice but that is also in the service area of the water taxi.
wingNwing likes this.