SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   Labor Day Weekend (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/91528-labor-day-weekend.html)

Nicklaus 08-30-2012 04:04 PM

Labor Day Weekend
 
What's everyone planning to do this weekend?

Depending on the wind, we're either:

* Heading to St. Michaels for a few days;
* Doing St. Michaels and then Annapolis;
* Or sailing up to Annaplis to spend a few days putting around the creeks and eating crabs at Cantler's.

4arch 08-30-2012 05:29 PM

Re: Labor Day Weekend
 
No solid plans as of yet. We'll probably try to find some secluded anchorage on the eastern shore off the Chester and take things from there depending on wind and weather.

I wouldn't have expected last year's Labor Day weekend with 3 straight days of spectacular sailing weather to be matched, but it looks like we'll be getting whatever Isaac remnants we're going to get by late Sunday. Just hoping it's not enough to cut the long weekend short.

The bright side is that Labor Day isn't the end of summer - it's the beginning of the three best months for sailing the Chesapeake.

sealover 08-30-2012 08:56 PM

Labor Day Weekend
 
Boat auction in St. Michael's. Gonna be a bottom feeder and see what I can save from the chainsaw.

dacap06 08-30-2012 11:03 PM

Re: Labor Day Weekend
 
The wife wants to go camping. Looks like I'm land bound this weekend. Just as well -- I need to get the hull and prop cleaned. When I went out a couple of weekends ago, the best the boat would do while motoring was 3 kts -- half speed!

brokesailor 08-31-2012 04:45 AM

Re: Labor Day Weekend
 
I'm heading out from Solomons on Saturday morning, destination unknown, waiting for the Saturday morning windcast.

UncleJim 09-01-2012 06:50 PM

Re: Labor Day Weekend
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sealover (Post 916242)
Boat auction in St. Michael's. Gonna be a bottom feeder and see what I can save from the chainsaw.

Went early, left before the bidding started as I wasn't impressed with the boats they had. I looked at the Seafarer, the Irwin, A hunter 25 and a Saber 28(?). What kind of deals were to be had.

WendyM34 09-02-2012 10:58 AM

Re: Labor Day Weekend
 
Just doing some day sailing for the long weekend. No big plans except to sail wherever the wind takes us.

brokesailor 09-02-2012 06:43 PM

Re: Labor Day Weekend
 
We ended up sailing to Cherry Island Cove on the Little Choptank River. Great sailing up the Bay. The cove is large and mostly unprotected. We rode out the night time storms without any issues. great holding. Had to run the engine the whole way back to Solomons. We just got back before the afternoon thunderstorm hit.

Nicklaus 09-03-2012 02:18 PM

Re: Labor Day Weekend
 
We ended up mostly motor-sailing up to Annapolis on Saturday. Met friends on Sunday and motored up to Cantler's before motoring all the way back to Deale yesterday. Pulled into the slips both nights with just enough time to grill on the boat before the rain.

Kicking myself for listening to the weather forecast and coming back before lunch this morning...

PalmettoSailor 09-03-2012 03:11 PM

Re: Labor Day Weekend
 
So we planned not to have a plan and play the weekend by ear. Our club was heading north on Saturday and further north on Sunday. If the forecasts were correct that would be upwind both ways. I've had enough upwind for the time being so we decided to do our own thing and headed from Rockhold Creek down around Black Walnut Point Saturday AM. We had a nice sail down to Sharps Island light throwing in 3 or 4 jibes from long bar point to turn into the Choptank. We did get rained on a bit which was the first clue the weather guessers had missed the mark. After entering the Choptank the wind pretty much died so we motored on up the Choptank to the Tred Avon, were we saw Donnybrook (not sure if this is a new Donnybrook, or the old one has been repaired) tied up at the yacht club. We decided to head up to Plaindealing creek to anchor with the thought we might dinghy over to Oxford, or alternately move over to anchor off the strand on Sunday then dinghy over.

Well I'd read that folks had had problems getting a Delta to set in Plaindealing and that was exactly our experience. We tried 3 times in 2 different locations to get the anchor to hook up away from the other boats, then ran aground trying to find a 3rd location. Fortunately, I'd already completed about 50% of a 180 turn to port and away from shore and with a goose of reverse, the propwalk pulled us off. Finally I gave up trying to be polite and went and anchored at a likely looking spot, fairly close to another boat (by my shaped in the southern bay estimation) but not unreasonably so using mid bay standards. Here the anchor bit the first time and stayed put with a good dose of reverse. Still I let out a good deal of scope and used a mushroom anchor kedge for good measure. I only did this because of our problems getting the anchor to set not because the forecast called for severe weather because it didn't. At least it didn't until about 7PM when we started to hear thunder in the distance and a quick check of NOAA on the smartphone alerted us to a line of severe thunderstorms from Baltimore to Annapolis moving our way. Great. I was rained on when it wasn't supposed to, its hot a hell and now severe storms are sliding my way. The first band missed us to the north and east and I thought we were done, but a couple of hours later it was apparent another storm this time further south was going to slide across us. Between 11PM and 2PM we were rocked by 2 strong cells with lots of nearby lightning. I had my wife stay clear of the keel stepped mast and I stood in the companionway watching how we swung as well as how the boats around us were fairing. Fortunately, the anchor held and no lighting strikes but is was a hot and uncomfortable night with the boat closed up due to the downpours.

Sunday's revised forecast called for more rain and TS by 11AM, and we'd had enough of the heat, so after breakast we motored home across a bay that was about as still as I'd ever seen it. It truly was a motor boaters wet dream Sunday AM, but there didn't seem to be a lot of boats out considering it was a holiday weekend. We got back in the slip around 12:30 and were showered and on the way home by 1:30. Moting past was as close to Oxford as we got so its still a place we've yet to visit. Not really our most enjoyable trip, and we were certainly glad we didn't have any guests to suffer through this one with us.

I tease my wife about here always wishing for different weather than we have but at this point I'm ready for some cooler weather.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012