SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   Winterization service in Annapolis (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/92604-winterization-service-annapolis.html)

xluke 10-01-2012 07:00 AM

Winterization service in Annapolis

Hello,
I currently have my boat up on the hard at Jabin's in Annapolis and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on someone to winterize her that is trustworthy and reasonably priced.

Thanks!

jameswilson29 10-01-2012 08:12 AM

Re: Winterization service in Annapolis

It is really not that difficult. Why don't you do it yourself? You will spend a couple of hours, under $150 in materials, and get to know your engine systems better. (Plus, if you are a reasonably intelligent person you will probably do a better and more careful job than a yard hand.)

Some of the tasks would have been easier to complete while she was still in the water and you could still run the engine easily. You just need to hook-up water for your cooling intake.

Here is a link to Don Casey's Winterizing your engine: BoatUS - BoatTech - Winterizing Your Engine by Don Casey

aa3jy 10-01-2012 08:19 AM

Being the fact you noted that you're up "on the hard" it may limit you as to having someone out side Jabins doing service work on your boat without them adding to your bill..but someone on that side of the Bay can comment on that..

Suggest maybe if your handy to do the winterization your self but then again your requesting info for dependable professional service. I'd contact the Jabins and find out their prices and availability..the latter the service is done the harder it is to get service in a timely manner as most yards become extremely busy and I'd also ask about their policy bringing in outside contractors..

jsaronson 10-01-2012 08:50 AM

Try Fiddlehead Boatworks llc - Home

Jabins is outrageous!

jorgenl 10-01-2012 09:41 AM

Try hortonmarineservices.com. Ask for Nate.
Reliable and located at jabin's

xluke 10-01-2012 10:20 AM

Thanks for the thoughts. I would normally do this myself but regrettably I am over a thousand miles away from the boat, or it wouldn't be on the hard!
I suppose I could fly in to do the work...

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again!

chef2sail 10-01-2012 01:17 PM

Hortons is fine. You will pay Annapolis rates though.

Dave

nickmerc 10-02-2012 02:45 PM

I found Jabin's rate to be higher than other yards in Annapolis for various services, but when I had the boat hauled for transport to St. Louis I ended up going with them anyway. I had the boat hauled at Port Annapolis a year earlier so I could refresh the bottom paint and it ended up being quite expensive and they were a pain to deal with when it came time to honor a coupon from Spinsheet right before they splashed me.

The point is even though Jabin's rates are high they yard hands are very good and work quickly. The cost for the haul there ended up being less than at Port A because Jabins spent much less time messing around and got the job done. I would not shy away from using them to do the work.

Gunk-Holer 11-26-2012 07:01 PM

I have a related, but slightly different question. After several years being boat-less, I am about to close on 2006 Hunter 33. It is by far the biggest, nicest boat i have ever own, and i worked very hard for many years to be able to "afford" it (to whatever extent any of us normal people can really afford our boat addictions). I don't know if it is age/wisdom or just paranoia, but I am crazy worried about being able to close on it in time to get it winterized before something freezes and breaks. In everyone's experience living in this area (I am from up north), how close am I to being in extremis with respect to winterization?

I need to motor it around the bay a couple more times to move it from the owner's slip to a boat yard for survey and then to wherever I am going to keep it (probably Magothy Marina or the military marina at Carr Creek). I figure I can winterize the potable water, heads/wastewater and A/C systems right away.

I am worried about the Yanmar. I don't know how much of a pain it is to get the right water/anti-freeze mixture in the freshwater side, and, figure I might need several gallons of fairly expensive, high end anti-freeze for both the fresh and salt-water sides??? I am not as worried about the cost of the anti-freeze (although it will stink if I have to do it twice and it uses multiple gallons of $10-15/gal anti-freeze each time). I am worried about getting it done in time to ensure I don't crack the block...

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Gunk-Holer Joe

jsaronson 11-26-2012 07:10 PM

Water temp in the bay is 50 degrees. The boat will be fine unless temps drop into the low 20s