SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

gearing up for sandy

7K views 51 replies 23 participants last post by  Nicklaus 
#1 ·
with sandy looming on the horizon, what prep work does everyone have left to do? My family and I are planning on breaking the boat down for the winter this weekend, hopefully sandy holds off until late sunday.

#35 ·
I took my head sail off and tied my main down pretty good. I adjusted the dock lines a bit and added some fenders. Took off all the canvas except the bimini that is already secured to the stay and the pulpit with a cover. I did wrap it with line as well though.

I also took everything expensive and portable out of my boat just in case it finds a new home under the dock or a bridge.

#36 ·
Oh, I also secured all my outside hatches with thin cord. I didn't have a manual bilge pump so I bought one from WM (not affiliated). Just in case I needed one after the poop hits the fan.

Chef2Sail - Good luck to you and I hope things are uneventful. Although, I think you're more than right about being the only one with power come Tuesday...

#38 ·
We took our boat to Anchorage Marina in Baltimore Saturday, I'm really impressed with the place and staff, it's protected and has floating piers. We have discovered a new cruising destination for next year. The marina is real friendly and the management actually REDUCES prices during hurricaines!!

We stripped everything off the boat except the genoa, somehow it's stuck up. I re-rolled it tightly and counter wrapped it with a spinnaker halyard...I hope it works but if thats the only damage we suffer I guess I won't be too upset. We did see many boats that didn't do any preparations, I hope them buildings shield the wind as good as some say they do.

Dave! be careful! I know you're in a protected spot but who knows what this storm can do. I do know I'm stuck at work watching the news making complete fools of themselves! "Look! the wind is blowing and the sailboat masts are swaying!" (Uh, yep, sailboat masts sway when the wind blows), It's almost painful watching these clowns freak out on TV when nothing has happened yet.

#39 · (Edited)
Indeed. You just never know. I'm on the mooring with a 500 lbs mushroom that has set for three years. Hopefully it's pretty deep in at this point with a 13,000 lbs boat digging it over that time. I have a really heavy duty 1" Yale pennant with chafe protection and through one of the main chocks. I decided not to double pennant (even though I have the extra) because I've found it gets into a tangly mess and starts winding the bow down.

By the way, I'm not ON the boat. I'm watching it from the house drinking coffee.

#40 ·
That is a nice place where you took your new boat. I went a adjusted the lines while it was still light out as the wind already has shifted somewhat. I have a new leak.grrrrrrrrrone of the middle hatches won't take 60 knot gusts with sideways winds. Winds holding at 45 with gusts in the 60s. I am watching e news and its like the hysterical idiots have forgot Thur ridilin.

Dave

#42 · (Edited)
When sailing you'll have to keep her under 60 knots in the turns:). Good luck tonight and above all STAY SAFE! I want to hear FROM you, not ABOUT you!

Here is our boat at Anchorage Marina in Baltimore...

Attachments

#44 ·
Never lost power. The boat and the house sprang a few leaks though!!

I removed the main, mine catches a lot of wind even covered and strapped down.

The boat remained in the water but we are in a good spot. I still would have hauled it had the eye gone South instead of North. Looks like an early season as the cold sets in.

#45 ·
We came through fine. I worked enough overtime to pay for this Winters shrink wrap...I think (I never did that before). Going up to Baltiomore tomorrow to bring our boat home. I might have to hire someone to go up the mast and find out why I can't get my jib down (roller furling).

#46 ·
May want to think about getting a nice canvas cover in two parts., or making one for next year for your new boat. Two years of shrink wrap will cover the cost and the canvas ( duckcloth) will last 10 years easily. Also allows the boat to breathe well in the time you have her covered so no mildew problems occur. Can put in on while on land or if you decide to stay in the water for a couple years to save the winter storage costs.

#47 ·
I've been saving a HUGE piece of military type green canvas for around 20 years for that special need one day, I guess that day has arrived. We'll probably shrink wrap this year and I'll dig out that canvas and see what I have to work with for next year. I think it's like 15' X 20', 20' X 20' or even larger, it might be a good start.

#52 ·
I received the below update from my office last night - granted my office is not in the weather business.

Coastal Nor'easter- Update

The National Weather Service forecasts that the coastal storm will pass further out to sea than originally forecast, thus minimizing the effects (high winds, heavy rains, and winter weather) to the DC Metropolitan area. There is still a chance that the DC area will get some rain and/or snow from this system, though little to no accumulation is expected.

The track of this storm is still uncertain. Please check for updated weather watches/warnings throughout Wednesday afternoon and Thursday morning.

CEPO will provide updates if any watches and/or warnings are issued for our area.

For up to date weather information and watches and warnings, please go to the National Weather service at:
NWS Baltimore/Washington Home page

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.