SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   gearing up for sandy (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/93463-gearing-up-sandy.html)

Catalina400mkII 10-25-2012 01:10 PM

gearing up for sandy

with sandy looming on the horizon, what prep work does everyone have left to do? My family and I are planning on breaking the boat down for the winter this weekend, hopefully sandy holds off until late sunday.

chef2sail 10-25-2012 01:33 PM

Re: gearing up for sandy

Sails and canvas off. Fill with water. Extra dock lines with plenty of slack. Chafe gear for the lines. Position the boat in the center of the slip.

Planning to stay on the boat through Tuesday to raise and lower through the tidal surge and changes., Therefore extra food, cell phone batteries. Electricity will probably get cut off.

Removing stuff from the dock box. Make sure you have holes cut into the bottom of yours

My slip is very protected from wind in all directions especially eastern componnents as their is a bank on front of it 45 ft high.

Rain will be starting Sunday AM. Winds proabably wont exceed 60, but to early to predict surge as it depends where it makes landfall. Right now it looks north of us which will be a good thing, but some models say Delaware Bay. Every tree and power line in MD will be down because they let them grow through the pwoer lines here.

Isnt your dads boat three slips from me? Ill watch her during the storm if you guys are back home.

Dave

jameswilson29 10-25-2012 02:34 PM

Hauling out tomorrow, early end to the season...:(

Capt. Gary Randall 10-25-2012 02:47 PM

The work is done here, Marathon Florida, winds 30 to 35 knots North Northeast.my vessel is tied across a canal four ways in 12' of water because my draft is 7 feet we may lose some water before we gain some. The boat is already provisioned because I just came in yesterday from a nine-day sail. CaptG

Minnewaska 10-25-2012 05:54 PM

I went up on the hard for the winter today. With current tracking, we should only get strong winds from the south, but hopefully below TS level. Fingers crossed. This is the third year in a row with one of these. WTF.

jsaronson 10-25-2012 06:01 PM

Heading to the boat tomorrow to remove canvas, add lines etc. Luckily, my slip is also very sheltered and wide. The stronger wind quadrant is on the NE side, so we should not get the worst of it. Minnewaska, you may not be so lucky!
Supposed to crew on a J35 this weekend. We'll see if we race Sunday!

Dave, why fill with water?

Minnewaska 10-25-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaronson (Post 938514)
....Minnewaska, you may not be so lucky!....

Oh man. Now, I'm going to blame you for the jinx, if you're right. :eek:

CalebD 10-25-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 938401)
Fill with water.

Dave

I'm also wondering what the rationale for this tactic is???

I'm sure he means to fill the water tanks and not the cabin. But why?

jhgreen 10-25-2012 06:17 PM

Hauling out next week for winter and hope i get out before ut come through

jsaronson 10-25-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 938520)
Oh man. Now, I'm going to blame you for the jinx, if you're right. :eek:

I'm from Cranston. Believe me, I'm not wishing it on you or anyone else!
Joel