Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Re: Rock Hall gouge?

Travelineasy...you wont recognize the Kings Creek side of Cape Charles. We were there a few years (2010) ago and stayed at Bay Creek Marina and Resort. Weird place if you ask me, it was dead. It was a very nice marina, floating piers, nice little pool, decent store, and the folks were very nice...but something was odd about this resort community?I wish we had gone into Cape Charles town but the admiral refused to take a slip in between two work boats (they smelled bad) and we missed the shuttle into town, not knowing it was a close walk...oh well. The channel into Kings Creek is a bit tight, and long, I cant imagine trying to navigate it during any kind of rough water.

A shot of Bay Creek Marina

jameswilson29 likes this.

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

I agree. Kings Creek was a quaint, rural marina years ago. Now, the area has become a retirement community.

The town marina is nice, inexpensive, and clean, although the environment is industrial. I stayed there overnight last summer. I also stopped for fuel and ice on another occasion and headed down to Kiptopeake Beach to anchor, which gives one an easier jump out into the Atlantic through the North Channel (I can't figure why so many stay in Little Creek instead). Kiptopeake Beach is a state park with public restroom and shower, dinghy beach, launching ramp, and a protected anchorage inside the sunken WWII ships - cool place to seek shelter.

I found the current up the beach channel just south of Cape Charles surprisingly powerful - be careful about your timing in that area - it can shoot you into Cape Charles or make it very difficult to enter or exit. Next time, I will stay farther away from the Eastern Shore unless it is favorable.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 06-18-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-18-2013
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Travelineasy...you wont recognize the Kings Creek side of Cape Charles. We were there a few years (2010) ago and stayed at Bay Creek Marina and Resort. Weird place if you ask me, it was dead. It was a very nice marina, floating piers, nice little pool, decent store, and the folks were very nice...but something was odd about this resort community?
I am in Cape Charles frequently, although from the land side, as my parents live in ESVA. If you ask me, the oddness is King's Creek dying a slow death. The marina, golf course, and restaurant there always seemed out of place and are seldom used by locals (at least those that I know).
Old 06-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotun View Post
I am in Cape Charles frequently, although from the land side, as my parents live in ESVA. If you ask me, the oddness is King's Creek dying a slow death. The marina, golf course, and restaurant there always seemed out of place and are seldom used by locals (at least those that I know).
Not surprising Another town that has suffered a unfortunate death is Crisfield. The once thriving crabtowne is all but deserted it seems. Would have been a great place to build a resort community right

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-18-2013

4arch is on a distinguished road

We like Rock Hall probably because we live in the city and find it relaxing to occasionally escape to the tranquility of places like it. It would be nice if it were more vibrant and had more things to do and better places to eat, but weíve found that with most small towns on the bay the key is to arrive with our expectations low and provisions high. Itís unfortunate that so many of these towns are in decline and I hope at least some of them can be revitalized without fully turning themselves into resorts and/or tourist traps Ė but Iím not going to hold my breath.
Old 06-18-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Like so many towns on the Bay, Rock Hall was once a working waterman's town that is struggling to re-invent itself and survive amongst all the other towns struggling to re-invent themselves. The town won't be everything to everyone and maybe nothing to a lot, but we love it there. Over the years it has become more than just a place to keep our boat. We've met and befriended other sailors, enjoy talking to the few people left who actually grew up and worked there, and discovered the town ghost. We even met for the first time a slip neighbor who lives about three miles from our house. Small worlds sometimes collide.

Every now and then I venture out and explore moving, but we always return.

My take is that the town is trying to not grow so fast that it ends up with a lot of carcasses of big box stores and fancy resorts that don't survive.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 06-18-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Like so many towns on the Bay, Rock Hall was once a working waterman's town that is struggling to re-invent itself and survive amongst all the other towns struggling to re-invent themselves. The town won't be everything to everyone and maybe nothing to a lot, but we love it there. Over the years it has become more than just a place to keep our boat. We've met and befriended other sailors, enjoy talking to the few people left who actually grew up and worked there, and discovered the town ghost. We even met for the first time a slip neighbor who lives about three miles from our house. Small worlds sometimes collide.

Every now and then I venture out and explore moving, but we always return.

My take is that the town is trying to not grow so fast that it ends up with a lot of carcasses of big box stores and fancy resorts that don't survive.
Don't get me wrong, I know there is a big difference between a great base for your boat and a great destination. I absolutely loved sailing out of Deltaville, but wouldn't really recommend it as a destination - unless you were looking for boatyard services, nothing is really convenient from the water.

I can definitely see the attraction of Rock Hall as a base for those coming to the bay from points north.
Old 06-19-2013

Well said PS...I would say the same thing about where we are. I would rather keep my boat in a town like Rockhall then where we are now. Rock Creek is nothing special, well except that I keep my boat there....lol

Old 06-19-2013
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road

"Jotun, I did take the range light to starboard on the way out, but my reading of the chart said to cheat just north of the range coming and going. I never saw less than about 8.5 ft, and I draw 4.3 (the tide was about .5 above MLW both times.)"

I always cut across the bar when going to Swan Creek from Rock Creek. I always pass just north of the range light and never had issues even though I draw 5'. The charts indicate deeper water just to the north than to the south. It surprises me to read the recommendation to go to the south!

I would never cut across the bar in extremely low situations such as after strong NW winds or when there are 2' waves at low tide. I don't want to challenge Neptune now!

Tod
Old 06-19-2013

I travel north of the range light as well but perhaps we should clarify which range light as there are two a northerly one and a southerly one right.

Last edited by T37Chef; 06-19-2013 at 07:36 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.