SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   Need To Hire A Local "Up The Mast" Person (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/93796-need-hire-local-up-mast-person.html)

swampcreek 11-05-2012 12:13 AM

Need To Hire A Local "Up The Mast" Person

2 Attachment(s)
My jib/roller furling is stuck up and I can't get it to budge. I need to get it down since we're hauling out November 16th. I took pictures of the top of the mast to see if anything was tangling up there with the halyards but all looks good. I need to have someone go up there and find out what's going on. Are there any recomended people that handle this type of stuff local to the Pasadena area?

chef2sail 11-05-2012 01:44 AM

Re: Need To Hire A Local "Up The Mast" Person

This may sound dumb not infering you are. Have you unfurled your sail...by hand. Will the furler rotate around the headstay. When you bought the boat was the furler already on> Is there another cam cleat...maybe on the mast for the jib Halyard? Everything looks ok in your picture.

Dave

swampcreek 11-05-2012 05:26 AM

The boat came with the furler already rigged, it rotates fine, the rope clutch was all the way open with the jib halyard having slack to where it enters the mast.

chef2sail 11-05-2012 06:44 AM

And after you pull the sail all the way out you cant drop the jib? I know youve used the furler so the top swivel works too. That sucks. Is it wire to rope halyard or all rope? Must be hung up inside the mast or it has come off of the sheeve. Doesnt look like anything is wrong at the top in your pictures. I dont know anyone other than Annaplis riggers who go up the mast, We have snall guys at our club who do it here, but I dont think they would go elsewhere. Check Oak Harbor?

Dave

T37SOLARE 11-05-2012 07:57 AM

The Schafer 2100 roller furler that Catalina put on the C-320 has a design defect that the lower bearing can freeze up, I've seen it on a few 320's as well mine. Call Schafer and they will sell you the re-designed unit at cost ($140). Here is a good write-up on the procedure to replace the unit or call your rigger to do it. http://www.mammothcondos.com/2100-c320.pdf

jameswilson29 11-05-2012 08:12 AM

Why don't you climb the mast and investigate?

I use ascenders and a climbing harness to scale the mast.

It appears you could tie a line to the jib halyard, then release it from the furling equipment. I assume either the halyard is jammed or the furling equipment is stuck in place.

zeilfanaat 11-06-2012 04:27 PM

To pick up on Chef2sail's point: we have a jam cleat just below the mast exit plate for the jib halyard. Even when I lift up the clutch on the cabin top, the sail won't come down.

The boat is still new to us and I always forget it's there because it's obscured by the stackpack. It was good for a brief moment of panic when I had my wife up the mast in the bosun's chair and couldn't lower her back to the deck a few weeks ago.

swampcreek 11-07-2012 12:02 AM

The jib rolls just fine, it just won't budge when trying to pull it down. I really am uncomfortable with the idea of going up the mast since I don't have the equipment, I've never been up a mast and at 245lbs I'm not sure it would do the boat any good having that kind of weight up there. I really think the halyard jumped off the pully and is wedged. The other 2 halyards work fine so it isn't tangled in them.

chef2sail 11-07-2012 04:56 AM

OP is a big guy like me, even taller. Would be an effort to get him aloft ( Sorry) smile)

Is the halyard all rope or wire rope? Sounds like it jumped the sheeve.

No jam cleat?

If you have someone else go up. Try and combine projects and replace bulb, tape spreader boots etc. It probablky wont take a lot of time to fix your problem.

swampcreek 11-07-2012 05:49 AM

I'm 99% it's all rope...At least I don't see any wire.