SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Shrink Wrap recommendations & rates

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  swampcreek 
#1 ·
We're planning to shrink wrap our boat this year. I talked to a guy doing this at our marina and although he is willing to do a sailboat he really doesn't know anything about sailboats, I know he is just shrink wrapping and doesn't need to know how to circumnavigate but a little knowledge about sailboats by the shrink wrapper doing OUR boat would make me feel better. He also quoted $12 per foot which is maybe a little high?

Also I have heard the arguments pro and con on shrink wrapping and see the logic in both BUT we looked at a lot of boats this Summer before buying ours and the difference between the ones that were shrink wrapped in the Winter besides the ones exposed to the elements was very noticeable.

Does anyone hear shrink wrap? If so who do you use and whats their rates?

#2 ·
Is he doing the frame, too? Will he repair the cover if it's 'compromised' due to a snow/ice storm? (That's one advantage over covering it yourself). That's not a terrible rate, but not a steal either. I'm assuming he's experienced -- I wouldn't want someone near my boat with a flame who hasn't done this before. If you live in the area, consider having him install a zipper door so you can do work aboard before removing the cover in the spring. A door usually costs a little extra (~$30). Make sure you have adequate ventilation to minimize mildew.

#3 ·
12.00 foot is a bargain IF DONE RIGHT.. Most don't do it right and cut corners. If this is mast up that is an even better deal....

Rule #1 for areas that expect snow, GOOD PITCH. The center point on this ridge pole is nearly 7' off the deck. This cover never retained snow and shed all of it. Also take note of the "knee" supports for the upright support poles where they meet the ridge pole. This helps keep the ridge pole from "leaning"...

Rule #2 This is an area where MOST shrink wrappers cut corners and is perhaps the most critical part to get right.. A perimeter board and then cross ties at or close to each stanchion. This prevents any snow load from compressing or bending the stanchions inward and creates a solid perimeter for a more even "shrink" with less sags, dips and low spots to catch and retain snow.

Here you have visual of the pitch, perimeter and cross ties from inside:

Rule #3 NEVER shrink wrap over painted finishes.. It is easier to do but you can ruin a 12k paint job in one winter.

Also do not forget a zipper door and work with your shrink wrap guy on where you want it placed. I found with a walk though transom it was best right above the swim ladder..

On our boat I do a custom vestibule using the davits so I can come and go easily..

Many ways to skin the cat but many ways to screw the pooch too.....;)

#7 ·
Your job is maybe the best I have seen Main Sail But I have seen the other end of it too!
The damage that people cause with Shrink Wrap : Rot, Mildew, Paint lifting,and more. Better off with a canvas Trap or cover. The key as you know is venting and with plastic it's Hard to do right! Canvas is a lot more forgiving...Dale

#8 ·
I have been bugging Fairclough for nearly four years to build me a custom canvas cover that goes only to the toe rail. They won't do it.

NOTHING touches my paint not even canvas... For now shrink wrap is the best for our boat. I have never, ever had rot, moisture or mildew issues but the key is to install it correctly.. I have a gap of about 1.5" all around my toe rail, purposely left open, and the entire stern is left open with my vestibule design. Boat stays dry, no snow and no mildew....

#9 ·
Maine - thanx for the pix, as we get ready to do our first shrinkwrap ourselves, for the first winter we'll experience since 2008. I'm "assuming" we won't get the amount of snow here in Maryland that you get further north, but at the same time, knowing how you deal with the extremes gives us a lot of insight into how to do our version, mast up and in the water.

#10 ·
Thanks Maine, VERY GOOD PICTURES!!!!

Once again, we looked at MANY boats this year before buying ours, there was a huge difference in the ones that were shrink wrapped and the ones that weren't. That is what convinced me to go this way for this season.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.