SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   Advice for Chesapeake Cruise this week-end (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/94333-advice-chesapeake-cruise-week-end.html)

telecam 11-22-2012 08:57 AM

Advice for Chesapeake Cruise this week-end

Hello all,

I have been enjoying sailing our new Benteau Oceanis 41 for the past two weeks and we are planning a week-end cruise to St Michaels / Wye River. We have managed without too much trouble to sail Zoya in 10-15kt with 20kt gusts in the past two weeks but Friday night will be our first anchorage on the Eastern Wye river. I see in the forecast NW winds 15 to 20kt with gusts at 30kt for that area... Are they any good coves on the Wye Eastern river that would provide good protection or should we just bag the trip and go for day sailing? I have sailed a lot in my youth and know my basics but cruising on 40' boats is definitely a new world for me. Any advice welcome.

Thanks!

4arch 11-22-2012 09:35 AM

Re: Advice for Chesapeake Cruise this week-end

Try Granary or Dividing Creeks on the Wye. They are two of the nicest anchorages on the bay and will be very well protected from NW winds.

telecam 11-22-2012 09:41 AM

Thanks. I have a 5'1" draft so, these look plenty deep. Anyone else planning to sail around that area this Friday or Saturday?

zz4gta 11-22-2012 08:50 PM

Just curious, when did you buy the boat? I know an AYS broker who sold one earlier this year.

telecam 11-22-2012 09:03 PM

I actually bought it from the Moorings back in July. It's in their Annapolis Landing Marina charter fleet. No charters until May so, I am free to sail.

Take care,

chef2sail 11-23-2012 01:18 AM

Dividing Creek will be well protected. Granary Creek is also but is very narrow and shoals a lot. Granary has a bald eagle nest back past the curve ibn the creek, but it is shallow back there. Also not NW winds with that speed will give a blowout tide so expect to loose a foot or foot and half extra of depth of the water.

On a calmer day Shaw Bay on the way in is also a nice anchorage/ but not as protected. Thats a great place in the summer if you want a breeze.

You may also want to think about Broad Creek on the Magothy at the elbow in the creek. You are proected from the NW by eagle hill ( 500 ft) We have been in there in 40 knots and nary a ripple. Great glass house on the starboard bank. as you come in the creek

Another nice place is the Chester River. though none of these are NW protected except maybe behind Cacaway ( Langford Creek) where the geese circus performs at sunset every night. Greys Inn and Corsica are nice also bit are not NW protected.

Brian you are giving away our hiding spots...

4arch 11-23-2012 08:51 AM

Since I can't be in the Wye this weekend, I figured I might as well let someone in on the "secret" who can!

One other thing about Dividing or Granary creeks is that if you have a dinghy, it's fun to land it at Wye Island and explore the island, most of which is a state park. There's a network of hiking trails and it also has the oldest holly tree in MD.

I've always wanted to do a Thanksgiving weekend cruise but family or work obligations or weather always seem to get in the way. Eventually we'll make it out there but for now will just have to live vicariously!

Enjoy.

telecam 11-23-2012 04:59 PM

Thanks a lot guys, I am writing at anchorage in Dividing Creek, very quiet and beautiful now but we are expecting NW winds to pickup overnight with gusts at 20kt if forecast holds up. we had a beautiful sunset...

PalmettoSailor 11-23-2012 06:21 PM

What do you have for heat? Its gonna be a cold night.

telecam 11-23-2012 07:44 PM

Just a small Coleman BlackCat portable heater and our beds thick comforters. We are pretty hard core campers so, the boat feels like a 5-star hotel.

Cheers