2013 5th Annual Sailnet Chesapeake Rondevous- June 8, 2013 - Page 10 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2013 5th Annual Sailnet Chesapeake Rondevous- June 8, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I could be wrong about all this, so I'm posting again to make my point as clear as possible. I hope I am wrong - feel free to show me where my errors are.

Yes, his numbers seem to agree with mine give or take an hour. And that hour difference can be explained by the effect of approximating the whole canal's current with a single number instead of NOAA's multiple stations. I'm probably guilty of over-complicating this by looking at too many current stations.

This is where you lose me, because James and I both show the current in the canal turning against us starting around 4 pm, and getting worse after that. Entering the canal between 4 and 5:30 pm looks to me like it would be the worst time. We'd be opposing the flood (eastward flow as James pointed out), not riding it.
[EDIT: Oops, I just realized that "ride the flood" probably refers to sailing down the Delaware, not through the canal. I agree that we want to get close to the canal entrance before the Delaware River current opposes us too strongly.]

While it would be nice to arrive before sunset, the Chesapeake City ebb helps us because it's toward the west. Arriving before 9:30 means fighting the current the whole way though the canal. After 9:30 the current favors us. The tradeoff is having to find a spot to anchor in pitch dark.

My concern is that when I run the numbers on my spreadsheet for your boat's motoring speed, arriving before dark looks to be impossible. So if we'll be in the dark anyway, we might as well take a break at Delaware City and wait it out for easy, fast motoring.

This is why I was so concerned about it. I can motor 5.5 kt SOW with ease, so my swing is 3.5 to 7.5 kts. 3.5 knots still mean a 3-4 hour transit for me. 2 knots could mean a 6 hour transit for you, which means you'll be effectively waiting out the current change while burning a lot of fuel.

I think I created much of the confusion of "flood" vs. "ebb," since it's defined in opposite directions on different current stations. But my NOAA predictions show that the current at the canal entrance goes against us from 4 pm to 9 or 10 pm, and with us after that. James' numbers show pretty much the same thing.

This whole analysis is a great learning experience for me, so thanks for guiding me through it. We've got 4 months to figure this out - I'll try not to take up the whole time with this exercise.
You guys may be ovethinking all this. You are certainly making my head swim

Rick I thought you had Navionics or any other program since you have your computer at the helm. It tell you tide and currents and vector arrows direction at specific spots along the way or even at your location.

I know how to figure out with Eldridge and all, but in todays world where I know you are comptuer savy there is an easier more efficient less time consuming way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-27-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
You guys may be ovethinking all this. You are certainly making my head swim...
I'm trying to be a good boy and reduce the hijacks. So please go to the other thread to see my response.
chef2sail likes this.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 02-24-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Don't forget to reserve a slip for the band. Saturday's Child, 33-Morgan Out Island, 13-foot beam, 4-foot draft. If possible, something close to land so I can safely get all the music equipment off the boat.

Thanks,

Gary
Old 02-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Don't forget to reserve a slip for the band. Saturday's Child, 33-Morgan Out Island, 13-foot beam, 4-foot draft. If possible, something close to land so I can safely get all the music equipment off the boat.

Thanks,

Gary
Gary, I already have you down. You were in my mid automatically my friend

Where they give you a slip will depend upon the availability and the draft depth size of the other vessels, and will be on the B pier somewhere probably on the first half ( I think thats where you were last year if I rememeber). I will be sure and let them know of your request.

There are lots of carts and will be help for you from some of the muscled up other SN memebrs I am sure. The surrounding community has placed a 10 PM noise ordinance, but we were at all loud last year so I dont think that will affect us.Already have double the number of people signed up at this time a year ago.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-28-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Dave...

I think you could take our boat off the list for a slip
Old 02-28-2013

Figured that.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 02-28-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

when the hell did you get to 5,000 post? Must be OT crap
Old 02-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
when the hell did you get to 5,000 post? Must be OT crap
Yeah but only 1000 of them are worth anything. The Bounty thread. It had my interest for a long while....still does though its waning now that the hearinhs have concluded. have to wait for all the lawsuits now.

Also boredom in the winter plus Donnas been down living at her moms in Rockville three days a week taking care of her, Shes 91, living oin her home of 65 years,, god bless her.

Now that the covers coming off the boat in a few weeks Ill spend more time there and less here will give everyoie else a break too

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 02-28-2013
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Dave...

I think you could take our boat off the list for a slip
I take it you decided on a new slip at MYC? If so, congrats!

SOLARE
T-37 #442
Old 03-01-2013

Not enough room at MYC for two chefs

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-