2013 5th Annual Sailnet Chesapeake Rondevous- June 8, 2013 - Page 24 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: 2013 5th Annual Sailnet Chesapeake Rondevous- June 8, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
OK seriously you all know the boat floats tin the stuff right? I thought they are just calling for heavy rains tonight through Friday, not much wind? Not trying to sound critical of anyone's decision I guess I'm just a bit surprised rain wound change so many folks minds.
The radio and TV stations are all hyping 40-50 mph gusts. But all the predictions show that happening offshore, so it's largely irrelevant to us.

The issue for me is low visibility and possibility of thunderstorms in the MORNING both Friday and (currently) Saturday. If it was the normal afternoon thunderstorms, I would just do my sailing early each day. But delayed morning departure because of thunderstorms can be a real problem, especially for the currents in the C&D canal (need to get there by noon Friday).

I'm really on the fence about canceling my departure Friday, so your note of skepticism is causing further second thoughts. But there aren't a lot of bailout places on the Delaware River, so I need to be cautious.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

hey...everybody has to do what they think is right...no heroes required I haven't looked at any weather because I'm down in the bilge all.day installing my new L16 Trojan batteries
T37SOLARE and TakeFive like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 06-06-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Rick,

Id stay put tomorrow. Even though winds aren't bad, 2-4 inches of rain s miserable. Saturday shoud be nice though.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-06-2013

Quote:
hey...everybody has to do what they think is right...no heroes required I haven't looked at any weather because I'm down in the bilge all.day installing my new L16 Trojan batteries
Yeah Shawn's new nickname.....Battery Man.

Impressive batteries.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-06-2013

UncleJim is on a distinguished road
Re: 2013 5th Annual Sailnet Chesapeake Rendezvous- June 8, 2013

Quote:
OK seriously you all know the boat floats in the stuff right? I thought they are just calling for heavy rains tonight through Friday, not much wind? Not trying to sound critical of anyone's decision I guess I'm just a bit surprised rain wound change so many folks minds.
I was on a drive trip down in the keys and it started raining on the boat ride out, someone asked why they weren't canceling the trip

I would normally agree with you, but we are still new to the boat and 8"loa is a big learning curve for us both.
with the possibility of bad weather and the Bay Swim closing the area under the bridge it just seems more prudent to drive in and have more time to enjoy the company.
Old 06-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJim View Post
I was on a drive trip down in the keys and it started raining on the boat ride out, someone asked why they weren't canceling the trip

I would normally agree with you, but we are still new to the boat and 8"loa is a big learning curve for us both.
with the possibility of bad weather and the Bay Swim closing the area under the bridge it just seems more prudent to drive in and have more time to enjoy the company.
No worries. Glad you se coming.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 06-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJim View Post

With some traveling for a couple days to get here on the water the forecast for Friday was bound to present problems.

Thank you Dave (S/ Auspicious) for reminding us about Bay swim. The past Rendezvous have had the same date as the past Bay swims. It should not present an issue here as it never as in the past. The last channel to open under bridge is 1:00 PM. You'd have to leave MYC before 10 AM to run into conflict. This is really becomes a non issue to most.

As far as sounding the alarm about Tropical Storm Andrea, that is also a non issue too except for those who have a two day boat travel to get here. Besides its going to be a substantial rain event only for the Chesapeake on Friday and till late Friday evening as not only will it be offshore, it will be at NYC around 3 AM Saturday AM. So it will be way past us when you wake up Saturday with increasing improving conditions.

I say this to allay any concerns. One reason we have had this at MYC is the availability to pull it off rain or shine, tropical storm or Bay Swim.

Those who feel its easier to come by car...cool. Those by boat...cool. Those who can't make it, you will be missed . We still intend to have fun. Those who can come,...good commradiere and good food as well . I can guarantee we will all have fun renewing old friendships and making new ones.

By far this has been the largest get together by any regional Sailnet group ad has become a tradition for some of us. Many of us have made good friends and relationships from this. Each year some of the previous participants drop out and are replaced by new people keeping this fresh and exciting.

My wife Donna and I have gladly organized and hosted this every year. ( Now that Shawn and Irene are at MYC it may be cohosted). We all now that organizing sailors is like herding cats, so we do take the lead, as it might not happen otherwise. Wingnwing has done this and sponsored organized a get together in Annapolis around the October Sailboat Show. Any get together of sailors in friendship is a good thing. Take5 has tried to do similarly with te Delaware River Group.

My hope is others may follow the and do the same on other months/ days with similar events. These established events are happenings and we have fun. Just look at the pictures. Meeting in person cuts through the Internet personas we have and makes them real. ( I am not as prickly in person. trust me) . We all have stories to share.

I cant wait tilll Saturday night.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Last edited by chef2sail; 06-06-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-07-2013
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road

What would be a good time to arrive by car? Is everyone going to wear tags with their call sign? Hope so!
Old 06-07-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

I'm still in.
What time is the wet t-shirt contest?

I don't need a name tag - how many folks have an anchor stuck in their ear?

Old 06-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesailor View Post
What would be a good time to arrive by car? Is everyone going to wear tags with their call sign? Hope so!
I would say 5:30-6

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-