SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

2013 5th Annual Sailnet Chesapeake Rondevous- June 8, 2013

28K views 286 replies 43 participants last post by  xort 
#1 ·
As has been the tradition the last 5 years Donna and I would like to continue to host the 5th Annual Chesapeake Bay Sailnet Rondevous at the Maryland Yacht Club on Saturday June 8, 2013 at 6 PM. We enjoy organizing and contributing to the commradiere of the event and seeing old friends and meeting new ones. The Rondevous in the past has had from between 50-90 participants.

I know its early to start planning as some of us havent even winterized our boats for 2012, but I though it would be good to get the date solidified for the upcomming year.

The MYC has been a good location for Sailnetters to reach from the uppper and middle Chesapeake. We have a great protected anchorage in Rock Creek if you decide to come by boat, availability for slips at $2 a foot, and also easily accessed by land shouldn you not be able to make it a weekend here or are coming from Pa, NJ, DC or Virginia by car. One of the great advantages having it here is that you can participate by land or by sea.

We use the clubs Pavillion which is covered with a roof and has wind/ rain screens if needed and has over 25 picnic tables as well as 6 BBQ pits for the get together on Saturday night.

MYC has a pool and showers for those who take slips as well as a full fuel dock with pumpout should you need it. Electricity for the slip is right now $5.

This year we may add a BBQ cook off ( lots of smack being talked here) as well as an informal breakfast get together the next morning for thoise who didnt get to "talk" to everyone,

In the past we have been lucky to have had some of the moderators attend and hope that will also continue this year also,

Feel free to ask questions or sign up as early as you want as I am starting a list.

Mark the date on your calander!!!!!!!!!!

See less See more
#255 ·
Have a great time everyone. I wish I could attend. I've always had a great time at these things. Even when I got my butt beat on the impromptu race back to Annapolis.

#268 ·
Yes, after waiting for what seemed like an eternity, the launch finally picked us up and delivered us to the festivities where we dined on caviar and roast duck and sipped champagne.
This was much appreciated after battling hurricane Andrea and her 80 knot winds for 18 hours to get up the bay. The 3 lightning strikes took out the electronics, the autopilot and blew out a thru hull. No big deal, we'll get er fixed tomorrow with some butyl tape we just received from Mainesail.

#269 ·
You left out the part where when you arrived to anchor you had to shake of the three Chesapeake Bay Swimmers you impaled on your bowsprit trying to find a maidenhead figure in front of the dolphin striker.

By the way it wasn't caviar but a poor impersonation. It was Susquehanna shad roe

#272 ·
Got home just before midnight last night, had lots of fun, met lots of wonderful people that I've not seen there in the past, and thanks to everyone, the food was fantastic.

Now, I'm flattered that some folks think it's not me singing or playing while sitting behind the keyboard and netbook PC. For those that think it's recorded music, or Karaoke - it's not. It's really me playing every note and every sound you hear. And, yes, it's really my voice you hear coming over the sound system. It's me!

For those of you that missed this annual event, you really missed a wonderful gathering of people from some highly diverse backgrounds that share many things in common - primarily sailing. The sailnet has spawned an incredible community unlike any other community on the planet. The cyber universe has allowed us to communicate over vast expanses in a matter of microseconds, but the one thing it does not provide is the human connection that takes place when people get together at gatherings such as these. Thanks to everyone who attended and contributed to the 5th Annual Sailnet Rendezvous.

Everyone loved the taste of my homemade Kahlua, and the Green Coconut Margarettas. Here's how it's done:

Green Coconut Margaretta

2 ounces Chi Chi Margaretta Mix with Tequila
1 ounce Melon Liquor
1 ounce Coconut Rum

Serve over ice

Stovetop Kahlua

4 cups water
5 cups sugar
4 cups vodka
1 tblsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup instant coffee

In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil, add 1 cup of sugar and stir in coffee until dissolved. Stir in remaining sugar, simmer for 20 minutes and allow mix to cool to room temperature. Add vanilla extract and vodka, stir, bottle, and serve over ice.

Thanks again everyone,

Gary :cool:

#275 ·
Great time, fantastic food, excellent entertainment, good weather, what more could we hope for? It was so nice to meet some sail netters live and in person. Gonna make it again next year, Lord willing.

Gary, you'll have to post where and when you are playing so we can come out enjoy a night of your music. You gave Amy a few more good songs to add to her sailing playlist!

Many thanks again to our wonderful hosts, you put together a very enjoyable event. Amy and I got to Solomons around 12:30, slept like the dead and had near perfect weather Sunday for sailing our guests up and down the bay. Was a little calm until after lunch but then we were seeing 8-10 kn and smooth water. Good weekend all around.

#276 ·
It was great meeting all of you! We just got in at Delaware City (long story), We hope to have a nice, leisurely sail back to Philly tomorrow before the front comes through.

Reactions: boz86
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.