2013 5th Annual Sailnet Chesapeake Rondevous- June 8, 2013 - Page 8 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road
Re: 2013 5th Annual Sailnet Chesapeake Rondevous- June 8, 2013

Hello - we'd like to attend this if there is room at the marina.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Ok I have you down for a slip. What is your draft.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-24-2013

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

Draft = 4.5'
Beam = 13.0'
LOA = 35.5'

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 01-24-2013

sailordave is on a distinguished road

My son's graduation is that week so I'm sitting out the Annap/Newport race this year. But that means ADM and I can attend! We'll either anchor out or go back to our dock and drive over. Looking fwd to meeting up!
David
Old 01-26-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Dave,

Thanks for reserving a slip for me. I'm having fun plotting our route. Currents will be real tricky this time, requiring ~noon departure from Essington on Friday, a few hours layover in DelCity (or anchored off Reedy) to wait for current in Canal, then shoot through after dark for very late arrival in ChesCity. Then early morning departure to your club Saturday.

I'll compare notes with Ulladh since we'll probably follow each other down.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 01-26-2013

Ulladh is on a distinguished road

Rick
Depart Essington Friday June 7th, 12:00 noon at slack before ebb
Enter C&D after 5:30 PM slack before flood
Slack before ebb at Chesapeake City is 10:45 PM but we should be there before 8:30 sunset.

Depart Chesapeake City 4:30 AM slack before flood, in twilight before 5:30 sunrise.
I will get to MYC in early afternoon, you are faster and should be there by noon.
Old 01-26-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Dave,

Sounds great, we'll be finishing up a 2+ week vacation, hopefully aboard Windgeist. Put us down for a slip this year, if we aren't already members by then We'll need 45' x 14' give or take a few.

Anyone who arrives early, perhaps we could coordinate boat tours if anyone is interested? I find it fun and informative to see what others have done to their boat!

We're looking forward to seeing everyone, the kids cant wait!
Dave, you got us down for slip correct? Havent heard anything

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Old 01-26-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
Rick
Depart Essington Friday June 7th, 12:00 noon at slack before ebb
Enter C&D after 5:30 PM slack before flood
Slack before ebb at Chesapeake City is 10:45 PM but we should be there before 8:30 sunset.

Depart Chesapeake City 4:30 AM slack before flood, in twilight before 5:30 sunrise.
I will get to MYC in early afternoon, you are faster and should be there by noon.
Colin - I should probably PM this you, but since we've gotten praise for sharing our planning process in the open, I'll post it here.

We should compare notes on how we predict currents, because I'm coming up with very different current predictions down near the canal. For the canal I like to use NOAA's current tables instead of trying to infer something from tide levels, because that can get you into trouble in the canal where currents are complicated by the differing water levels in Ches & Del sending "humps" or broad waves of water through the canal.

So for reference, the examples I'll mention here are covered in:

2013 Current predictions near Reedy Point
2013 Current predictions at C&D Canal Entrance
2013 Current predictions at Chesapeake City Bridge

For instance, on June 7 peak ebb near Reedy Point is 1656, followed shortly by low tide at DelCity (1749). Slack before flood at Reedy is 1925. But a mile away at the canal entrance, peak ebb is happening at 1921. So slack at Reedy is the worst time to enter the canal. This makes sense when you realize that low tide on the Delaware end of the canal is causing water to drain out of the canal. It takes several hours into the flood for the Delaware to rise enough to start pushing water back into the canal, and then you can ride the wave through. Unfortunately, slack before flood at the canal entrance is not until 2155.

You mentioned slack before ebb at Chesapeake City at 2030, but my table shows 2140, and remember that ebb at that point is defined as flowing toward the west, so arriving before 2140 means we would be fighting against the current the whole way. Arriving after 2140 means we have the current helping us out.

So that's why I suggested a ~2 hour stopover in Delaware City (hopefully on the city dock if there's enough water there) for dinner or maybe a nap (for the late night transit), and a nightime transit through the canal with the currents. If we do this, we would have to fight the Delaware River flood for 1.5 nm from DelCity down to the canal, unless we instead anchor south of the canal to wait it out.

Obviously the transit would not be in pitch darkness thanks to the sodium floodlights along the canal, but since it's almost new moon that night we'd be pulling into Engineer's Cove in pitch darkness. I'm open to your suggestions about how you feel about that.

Not sure how much danger we'd be in from the go-fast boats on a Friday night, or from large freighters (that I'd have lots of warning for on AIS). What's the experience with that from everyone here?

Another possibility might be to leave Thursday, which makes all the tides and currents about an hour earlier and gives us some slack time in case we're weathered in on the way down. If we arrive Friday in Baltimore, I'd be interested in daysailing around the area on Saturday.

FYI, I have a spreadsheet that calculates the net effect of the current along the whole route (maybe I sent it to you?). It was built around the currents for August 25, 2011, when we had planned to transit the canal but were washed out by Irene. At some point I'll generalize the calculations to work any day of the year. FWIW, absolute shortest time on the water is actually achieved by waiting 6 hours in Delaware City, but obviously that delays arrival significantly. In general, a 3 hour wait in Delaware City results in a 2 hour delay in arriving at Chesapeake City. You recover an hour of the wait time with the push you get from the current.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)

Last edited by TakeFive; 01-27-2013 at 01:24 AM.
Old 01-27-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

On second thought, while all of the above stuff is interesting, I suppose that it's an awful lot of trouble to avoid an extra hour of motoring against the current. We can discuss further if you want, but it's probably best to enter the canal at 1730 as you suggested, and get to Chesapeake City in twilight around 2030. You're affected by the currents more than me, so if you're willing to put up with it and burn a little extra gas, I certainly can.

Old 01-27-2013
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road

Take 5: I thought the C&D Canal flooded from the Chesapeake and EBB'd toward the Bay.
(Eldridge)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.