Chilly solo sail down the Bay at hull speed during Dec. small craft advisory - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012

jsaronson is on a distinguished road
Re: Chilly solo sail down the Bay at hull speed during Dec. small craft advisory

Sweet!
jameswilson29 likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Re: Chilly solo sail down the Bay at hull speed during Dec. small craft advisory

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
What are you using for a Whisker pole?
It is a used Forespar extendable pole I picked up from a Craigslist listing for about $100. I probably should have extended it another notch before attaching it.

I also have a oversized spinnaker pole (longer than "J") I picked up from a Craigslist listing for $200 to go with my oversized spinnaker from an Islander 30 I picked up from eBay for $200 (I don't race so I don't care if the dimensions exceed what is permitted under the rules).
Flybyknight likes this.
Old 12-12-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaronson View Post
Sweet!
Yeah, I was feeling some love for the P28 yesterday. It's great to blow along at hull speed with the full main and #1, heeled over at 30 degrees, get hit by a 5 foot wave on the beam, heel another 15 degrees to 45%, roll back, and keep plowing along, feeling secure in the boat, no problema!

Gotta love the classic plastic!
kd3pc likes this.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 12-12-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-12-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Yeah, I was feeling some love for the P28 yesterday. It's great to blow along at hull speed with the full main and #1, heeled over at 30 degrees, get hit by a 5 foot wave on the beam, heel another 15 degrees to 45%, and keep plowing along, feeling secure in the boat, no problema!

Gotta love the classic plastic!
I totally get you. When I've got the right sails flying for the conditions, I have total confidence in my P30.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 12-14-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Oh hell yeah!!

Nice sailing jw!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 12-14-2012

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

that video makes me wanna spend everyday at the boat so.its ready to launch ASAP this coming spring! thanks for sharing
Old 12-14-2012

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

"BFS... When sheer terror is replaced by ecstasy"
I think I'll have a transom-sticker printed up......
Old 12-14-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaten View Post
"BFS... When sheer terror is replaced by ecstasy"
I think I'll have a transom-sticker printed up......
Now you're getting it! Actually, I, ah, have a few of those stickers if you need them....

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 12-19-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Here is a snippet from one day during our trip south in that same area back in Sept. In our case it was a beat down from the Wicomico, and broad reach up to Urbanna. Same kind of wind speeds and they built as we approached Windmill point until we were severely overpowered and fighting to keep from rounding up (full main, reefed jib). Once we were able to make the turn it was all good though. Also it is amazing how the camera flattens things out. You can see from the pitching of the boat there were some good sized waves this day.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 12-19-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-20-2012

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Chilly solo sail down the Bay at hull speed during Dec. small craft advisory

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
It is a used Forespar extendable pole I picked up from a Craigslist listing for about $100. I probably should have extended it another notch before attaching it.

I also have a over sized spinnaker pole (longer than "J") I picked up from a Craigslist listing for $200 to go with my over sized spinnaker from an Islander 30 I picked up from eBay for $200 (I don't race so I don't care if the dimensions exceed what is permitted under the rules).
Oh! You're going to rock!
Dick