SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   Chilly solo sail down the Bay at hull speed during Dec. small craft advisory (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/94914-chilly-solo-sail-down-bay-hull-speed-during-dec-small-craft-advisory.html)

jameswilson29 12-12-2012 09:34 AM

Chilly solo sail down the Bay at hull speed during Dec. small craft advisory

I had a great, chilly, solo sail yesterday from the Coan River on the southern shore of the Potomac to Urbanna on the Rappahannock River during a small craft advisory. The temp. was in the 40s and the wind speed 10-15 knots gusting to 20 out of the North. My Pearson was at or near hull speed the entire voyage, covering 50 some miles in about 8 hours, pretty good for a boat with a 24 ft. waterline. As I sailed toward Smith Point after clearing Point Lookout to the North, the boat was hit on a beam reach with some of the larger waves I have experienced on the Bay, the largest in the 4-5 foot range. Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g2BA...ature=youtu.be

After clearing Smith Point, I ran wing and wing down the Bay surfing down the waves. I was too chicken to fly the spinnaker due to the broach potential and my fear of falling into the cold water. My GPS indicates the boat hit a max speed of 9.7 knots on the trip.

BubbleheadMd 12-12-2012 09:36 AM

Re: Chilly solo sail down the Bay at hull speed during Dec. small craft advisory

Damn you. I'm jealous.

chucklesR 12-12-2012 09:52 AM

Re: Chilly solo sail down the Bay at hull speed during Dec. small craft advisory

I agree, damn you.
Thanks for the fix (you bastard).

:)

jameswilson29 12-12-2012 09:53 AM

Ha, ha, ha!

Here is the more peaceful wing and wing sail portion:

Sailing wing and wing down the Chesapeake Bay in December 2012 during small craft advisory - YouTube

jameswilson29 12-12-2012 10:08 AM

...and here is the close reach into the Rappahannock under reefed main and #1 near suset:

Sailing on a close reach into the Rappahannock River near sunset in December - YouTube

chef2sail 12-12-2012 10:21 AM

Good vids I got a chill just looking at those leaden skies. Thanks for the posts.

chucklesR 12-12-2012 10:22 AM

Rub it in, someday we will meet face to face.

p.s.
Got any more?

BubbleheadMd 12-12-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 960376)
Good vids I got a chill just looking at those leaden skies. Thanks for the posts.

I can't watch the vids at work, but I know what you're referring to.

I've learned (and I'm sure you well know) that sailing is just not a fair-weather sport. You go when the wind blows, if you actually want to sail. It might be bitterly cold, it might be raining, it might be both. Some people sail when it snows.

I'm slowly acquiring good foul-weather clothing to extend my sailing season. If I can be comfortable, then I can sail as long as the water is ice-free.

jameswilson29 12-12-2012 11:06 AM

I was fine until the sun set. Then it was cold, even with a knit watch cap, gloves and sailing jacket. One more, reach south of Windmill Point:

aa3jy 12-12-2012 11:20 AM

What are you using for a Whisker pole?