Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2013
sv Cordelia

Nicklaus is on a distinguished road
Re: 2013 Sailing Season

It was a scorcher this weekend, but I decided to use the light winds as an opportunity to figure out how to use my spinnaker. I was expecting a major ordeal, but we got it up with only a few minor hiccups. This was the first time the spinnaker has been out of the bag since at least 2005.

After all the “hard work,” we decided it was time to take a swim. I’ll second the other post on here about the water being murky. Visibility in the Rhode River was less than a foot.

Dodging Jelly Fish | On Board Cordelia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
swimming not nettles

Worton Creek and beyond. No nettles. Good post. Glad to see you are enjoying yourselves on Cordelia.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-16-2013
sv Cordelia

Nicklaus is on a distinguished road
Re: swimming not nettles

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Worton Creek and beyond. No nettles. Good post. Glad to see you are enjoying yourselves on Cordelia.
Thanks. We look for Haleakula when we go out.

They weren't nearly as bad on the Rhode as they were in South Creek off the West. I saw a ton of them there when I was running Saturday morning.

Old 07-16-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Odd there are so many nettles considering all the rain, I know water temp has something to do with but still.

We're probably going to North again this weekend or up the Chester.

On another note, I read in the Notice Mariners that they should be dredging Kent Narrows, specifically the North channel soon, no date just said mid to late summer IIRCC. Reports of less than 4' seem to be often now.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 07-27-2013

Spent Friday on a nice quiet sail over to Rock Hall and anchored in Swan Creek. Has a great dinner of grilled Mahi Mahi with mango salsa, potato salad and grilled zucchini. For Dessert..New Jersey blueberries and a few Godiva Bon bons for my B Day. ( last one in the 50s)

Today had a rip roaring sail up the Chester River to a favorite spot behind Cacaway Island. We were supposed to raft up with people from our club, but they wimped. They stayed close to the club and went to Bodkin. We were already across the Bay so we decided to stay there in the peace and quiet. We are watching now the radar as thy got a good t torm there. Here...no rain at all.

For dinner tonight we had shrimp, black bean, fresh mango red pepper and roasted corn with a sesame garlic ponzu sauce stuffed in soft tacos. A great light summer meal. Saved a few Bon bons for later

Tomorrow predicted beam reach back across the. Bay with 10-15 knot winds and showers. Thank goodness for the enclosure my wife made we can zip in if we need to.

Great weekend break from the Chessie heat. Doesn't get any better than this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-27-2013

Wimped...lmfao

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 07-27-2013

Nice little jab Dave, you know its not always about the destination, it can be about whom your with, or not?

We enjoyed a great sail out the Patapsco towards the Chester, threw in a couple of tacks then set course on a reach into Bodkin Creek. We enjoyed some great food with the "wimps", shared some good stories among new friends. It was a great day to sail, even for the wimps!

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 07-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Nice little jab Dave, you know its not always about the destination, it can be about whom your with, or not?

We enjoyed a great sail out the Patapsco towards the Chester, threw in a couple of tacks then set course on a reach into Bodkin Creek. We enjoyed some great food with the "wimps", shared some good stories among new friends. It was a great day to sail, even for the wimps!
Care to share the anchor dragging stories. You weren't the wimp, they were. I thought it amazing that they were going to try Worton.

I am sure Bodkin was not your first choice today. Sometimes when you get in a group decision you kind of have to go where the group goes, even if its only 5 miles. I understand that.

Glad you had a great time anchoring with everyone. They are nice people and are fun. We frequently do that. Had I started from the MYC today I probably would have done the same. We have always enjoyed rafting with Hal and Cindy, Dick and Irma, and you guys of course. They are some of the reason we have liked being at MYC. They dispel that "yacht club" persona image.

I thought it useless to come back across the Bay and have no where to sail but the river. Often Cackaway us a 5+ hour sail. Today starting in Rock Hall with he great winds at a good angle once we hit the Chester we were hauling all bough the curves at 7+ with a furled 150. Got anchored in 3 hours. Hopefully the rain holds off tomorrow.

Hopefully you'll still be there when we get in tomorrow. Looks like well have good wind to cross.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 07-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Wimped...lmfao
Haha. You are right. It is about friends. Glad you are mine and understand my humorless jab.
T37Chef likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 07-28-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

FWIW, Take Five gets a well-deserved break this week while we're vacationing on the shore of Lake Wallenpaupack. Instead, the other 2/3 of our fleet gets a workout. When the wind is dead and the lake is smooth, we go waterskiing off the Trophy boat. When the wind kicks up and it gets too rough to ski, we take out the Phantom sailing dinghy.

It's all good.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)