Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: 2013 Sailing Season

No wind this week, so no daysails for us. I'm entertaining a coworker from Japan tomorrow, so we told her we would sail her up to Philadelphia for lunch. I hate planning ahead like this, because we generally commit to go rain or shine. And, of course, the forecast is for rain tomorrow. I'm hoping it will hold off until afternoon. If not, I'll don my foulies and my wife and visitor will go down below into the cabin.

Despite all this I am looking forward to it. The chance for a visitor to see the city from the river will be the highlight of her trip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Quietly anchored in Jubb Cove, Bodkin after a nice sail today.winds were mainly E / NE at 10-13 which was great for north south tacks. We sailed down to the Chesapeake By Bridge and decided to return tack to get loser to home port as a storm coming up the coast s scheduled to dump a few days of rain.

Dinner was two herb rubbed NY strips, Pittsburg rare with grilled portebellas and grilled argus. Dessert was grilled golden pineapple and grilled fresh peaches drizzled with a port chocolate reduction. Nice bottle of Boogle Red Zin to accompany. Life is good.

Nice to have these cooler days in August on the Chessie.

Dave
To finish the weekend, It looked gloomy outside with NNE winds and the weather alerts were for rain, but the clouds looked mixed with the cumulous mostly to the east, probably on the Delaware River. The sysytem headed up the coast had us in nice steady 15 knot winds with a few spurts to 20. A little light rain ( no getting wet as we put the connecter between dodger and bimini in ) once in a while, but nothing major and an actually stupendous day to sail in the Patapsco.

After a nice relaxing breakfast of lox and bagels, turkey bacon and Kona coffee, We sailed twice all the way up through the Inner Harbor and back to Bodkin ( at the mouth of the Bay) in about 4 hours never going below 6.5 knots. Hardly any boats scared off by the forecast and we had most of the river to ourselves. Felt like fall, but shorts and T shirts were still the order of the day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-18-2013

fryewe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Felt like fall, but shorts and T shirts were still the order of the day.
Feels like fall here in Pensacola too, chef, but fall with a hurricane in the Gulf and rain bands coming in (even though we have no significant storm around). Broke records for cold weather all along the coast (71F at my house at midday). Over six inches of rain in the past 24 hours and more to come. No sailing this weekend.
Old 08-20-2013
sv Cordelia

Nicklaus is on a distinguished road

A more thorough report on our weekend. Our weather on the West River wasn’t as nice as Chef’s. It wasn’t raining cats and dogs, but still enough to get wet.

Back On The Bay | On Board Cordelia
TakeFive likes this.

Old 08-20-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

Our Japanese visitor enjoyed our sail up to Philadelphia on Sunday. The rain held off, aside from a few sprinkles after lunch. There was a very mild breeze from ENE, but enough to gently tack up the river on sail alone. The city really sparkles in sunny weather, and though the day was not as gray as I feared (there was always a trace of blue in the thin clouds), the city did not sparkle for our guest like I had hoped.

I had originally planned to tie up at the Philly public dock upriver of Dave and Busters, and go to Cavanaugh's River Deck for lunch, but that's such a drab looking area with noise and smells from the bridge. So I spent a few bucks more and stopped at Penns Landing Marina, a much nicer place to walk around. After looking at a few of the restaurants (all a little more upscale than I wanted), we decided to go to Chart House.

The historic boats around the area made for a very scenic walk, except for one very embarrassing part. A few of the boats were Navy WWII ships, and the Becuna submarine had four Japanese flag insignias on its side. I walked past as quickly as possible without pointing them out to our guest, but I would not be surprised if she noticed her own country's flag on the vessel. After the fact, I confirmed what I suspected: The Becuna was credited with sinking three Japanese merchant ships, and contributed to the sinking of a fourth one (hence the four Japanese flags). OOPS!!!

Our return trip was an easy DDW sail. I put the bimini up to protect me from the occasional rain drop. The wind pretty much died after we made our final eastward turn a few miles from our slip. We furled the jib and fired up the motor. I kept the mainsail up while we motored, with it sheeted in tightly for a little boost, since the windex indicated that there was just enough to fill the sail. The Admiral went down below to start packing up, and I had her give me the bimini cover so I could fold up the bimini. With the boat on autopilot, I stepped up on the port cockpit seat and started to zip the bimini cover on. Right at that point, a sudden gust from the north hit our sheeted in mainsail and heeled us over at least 30 degrees, pulling the outboard out of the water and scaring the crap out of our visitor (and me). Fortunately I felt it coming and had dropped down off the cockpit seat - otherwise I could have lost my balance and gone overboard. I was able to struggle uphill to the helm, throttle down the motor, and immediately steer into the wind to stop the heeling and re-submerge the prop. Ordinarily the Admiral would have released the sheet automatically, but she was down below.

Moral of the story: When packing up on autopilot, always drop the mainsail before going aloft to fold up the bimini.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 08-21-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Our Japanese visitor enjoyed our sail up to Philadelphia on Sunday. The rain held off, aside from a few sprinkles after lunch. There was a very mild breeze from ENE, but enough to gently tack up the river on sail alone. The city really sparkles in sunny weather, and though the day was not as gray as I feared (there was always a trace of blue in the thin clouds), the city did not sparkle for our guest like I had hoped.

I had originally planned to tie up at the Philly public dock upriver of Dave and Busters, and go to Cavanaugh's River Deck for lunch, but that's such a drab looking area with noise and smells from the bridge. So I spent a few bucks more and stopped at Penns Landing Marina, a much nicer place to walk around. After looking at a few of the restaurants (all a little more upscale than I wanted), we decided to go to Chart House.

The historic boats around the area made for a very scenic walk, except for one very embarrassing part. A few of the boats were Navy WWII ships, and the Becuna submarine had four Japanese flag insignias on its side. I walked past as quickly as possible without pointing them out to our guest, but I would not be surprised if she noticed her own country's flag on the vessel. After the fact, I confirmed what I suspected: The Becuna was credited with sinking three Japanese merchant ships, and contributed to the sinking of a fourth one (hence the four Japanese flags). OOPS!!!

Our return trip was an easy DDW sail. I put the bimini up to protect me from the occasional rain drop. The wind pretty much died after we made our final eastward turn a few miles from our slip. We furled the jib and fired up the motor. I kept the mainsail up while we motored, with it sheeted in tightly for a little boost, since the windex indicated that there was just enough to fill the sail. The Admiral went down below to start packing up, and I had her give me the bimini cover so I could fold up the bimini. With the boat on autopilot, I stepped up on the port cockpit seat and started to zip the bimini cover on. Right at that point, a sudden gust from the north hit our sheeted in mainsail and heeled us over at least 30 degrees, pulling the outboard out of the water and scaring the crap out of our visitor (and me). Fortunately I felt it coming and had dropped down off the cockpit seat - otherwise I could have lost my balance and gone overboard. I was able to struggle uphill to the helm, throttle down the motor, and immediately steer into the wind to stop the heeling and re-submerge the prop. Ordinarily the Admiral would have released the sheet automatically, but she was down below.

Moral of the story: When packing up on autopilot, always drop the mainsail before going aloft to fold up the bimini.
Did you have a harness or PFD on when you walked away from the helm with the autopilot on?

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-21-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

Quote:
Did you have a harness or PFD on when you walked away from the helm with the autopilot on?
We wear PFDs all the time. And I hadn't really walked away, since the bimini is directly over the helm (see signature pic). I was in arm's reach of the wheel, but it was locked because the autopilot clutch was engaged. The clutch and outboard were both on the starboard side and I was on the port side, which meant I needed to climb to the other side of the boat.

Last edited by TakeFive; 08-21-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-24-2013

4arch is on a distinguished road

Just got back from our 9 day cruise around the Chesapeake! Almost 200 nm round trip, 10 gallons of diesel and a half a gallon of gas burned, a healthy amount of provisions consumed. The details:

Friday: Departed from the Patapsco mid afternoon. No wind but we had the tide going out with us. Motored down the bay to the Rhode River. Lots of boats were anchored south of Flat Island so we went north of it and dropped the hook in Sellman Creek off Camp Letts around 7 PM. Other than for the water skiers and jet skis, it's a beautiful serene area.

Saturday: Launched the dinghy in the morning and headed over to the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center. Hiked the trails and went to the nature center there. Weighed anchor late morning and headed south toward the Choptank. We were able to sail down the bay in 12+ knot winds on a close reach and then when we hit the mouth of the river go close hauled and beat our way down to Oxford. Pulled into Mears Marina around 6 PM. Hopped off the boat and headed to Pope's restaurant where we had a great dinner followed by ice cream at the Scottish Highland Creamery.

Sunday: Rain, chilly in the AM. Had free coffee and doughnuts on the covered deck at Mears. Strolled around Oxford in our foulies for a couple of hours. Motivated ourselves to leave around lunchtime as the rain was letting up. Wind went light so we motored over to San Domingo Creek and dropped the hook.

Monday: Took the dinghy to St. Michaels via the San Domingo dinghy dock. Went to CBMM and the wood sailing skiff I had helped build as part of the class afloat and apparently ready for auction. Strolled around the town a bit and headed back to the boat around lunchtime. Set off southward on an increasing wind. Wind built to 12-15 as we beat our way out of the Choptank and down the bay. Eventually the wind went light and we ended up motoring the last few hours to Solomons. Dropped the hook right at sunset just off of Zahniser's.

Tuesday: Took the dinghy to Zahniser's for much-needed showers in their very clean facilities. From there rode the dinghy over to the Calvert Marine Museum, which neither of us had seen before. This marked 3 out of 3 remaining screwpile lighthouses we had seen on this trip. Walked into Solomons and had lunch at the CD Cafe. Unexpectedly got an amazing meal and great service. Eventually headed back to the boat to find the house bank struggling. Ran the engine during dinner to put some juice back in and it seemed to do the trick. Dinghyed over to the Tiki Bar for a drink at sunset.

Wednesday: House bank was dead to the point that the fridge had to be turned off around 2 AM. In the morning, had to flip over to the reserve bank to start the engine (I have plans in the works to rectify the battery/power situation, it just didn't hit home how bad the situation was until this trip). No wind today so we motored back up the bay. Decided to make Knapps Narrows our stop over since Sharon had never been to Tilghman and they have a nice marina with a pool where we could plug in and fully recharge. Docked around 2, went to the island's self-serve fresh produce stand, then to the little grocery to do some reprovision. Finally hit the pool for some chilling out.

Thursday: Awoken early by watermen heading out starting before first light. It was kind of fun to watch the spectacle of just how many boats were headed out though. The marina has a hotel on premises and transients are entitled to the free continental breakfast there. We filled up on bagels and doughnuts and then took off back out toward the bay. The initial plan was to head up Eastern Bay and to the Wye, but light SE wind meant zero apparent wind for us on one of the hottest days of the trip. We decided to stay cool and turned NW back toward the West/Rhode mouth. Ended up dropping the hook off Galesville and jumping in the surprisingly nettle-free water to cool off. We took the dinghy to the town dock and walked around looking to see if there was anything to do. There wasn't but oddly we did find an open house so we walked in and checked it out. Great views of the West River if you've got $975k. We capped off the evening with a nice dinner at Pirate's Cove.

Friday: Forecast called for winds at 8 knots out of the north so I knew it was going to be a day of either beating or motoring. When we got out to the mouth of the West, winds were double that! We spent a while motoring straight into it getting our brains beat out until we finally decided to beat our way up the bay for a smoother ride. With the north winds expected to continue through Saturday, we decided anchoring in Swan Creek would set us up nicely to sail home on Saturday. We anchored pretty far up and enjoyed seeing a rainbow and a spectacular sunset.

Saturday: North winds continued as expected and we screamed across from Swan Creek back into the Patapsco seeing 6-7 knot speeds over ground and surfing 2-3 foot chop. A really fun ride home to close out the trip!

We had hoped to make it as far south as Crisfield or Tangier or Smith Islands but even from Solomons they turn out to be a pretty long haul without options for protected stops. We probably could have pushed harder and spent less time in port, but the trip would have been much less relaxing had we done so. Hopefully in the future we'll have more time to explore the southern bay, but this was still a great taste of the mid-central Chesapeake and overall an awesome trip.
T37Chef, arf145, chef2sail and 3 others like this.
Old 08-27-2013
sv Cordelia

We had a great sail this past weekend and are looking forward to a hot Labor Day weekend on the boat.

Dog Days of Summer | On Board Cordelia

Old 08-27-2013
sv Cordelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
Thursday: Awoken early by watermen heading out starting before first light. It was kind of fun to watch the spectacle of just how many boats were headed out though. The marina has a hotel on premises and transients are entitled to the free continental breakfast there. We filled up on bagels and doughnuts and then took off back out toward the bay. The initial plan was to head up Eastern Bay and to the Wye, but light SE wind meant zero apparent wind for us on one of the hottest days of the trip. We decided to stay cool and turned NW back toward the West/Rhode mouth. Ended up dropping the hook off Galesville and jumping in the surprisingly nettle-free water to cool off. We took the dinghy to the town dock and walked around looking to see if there was anything to do. There wasn't but oddly we did find an open house so we walked in and checked it out. Great views of the West River if you've got $975k. We capped off the evening with a nice dinner at Pirate's Cove.
There is surprisingly little to do in Galesville aside from dinner and a band at Pirate's Cove. I suspect that's the way they like it. As for the house, it seems every home I drive past in Galesville or on Chalk Point is for sale. Wonder if they know something we don't... Any who, glad you enjoyed your night on the West River. It's our first season docking there and we love it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.