Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: 2013 Sailing Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklaus View Post
There is surprisingly little to do in Galesville aside from dinner and a band at Pirate's Cove. I suspect that's the way they like it. As for the house, it seems every home I drive past in Galesville or on Chalk Point is for sale. Wonder if they know something we don't... Any who, glad you enjoyed your night on the West River. It's our first season docking there and we love it.
Your blog posts make me homesick. My grandparents lived in Deale, on the waterfront at Masons Beach, and we spent a lot of time down there. When they passed away I had a chance to get their house, but I would have had to buy out the shares of my aunt and uncle. I briefly looked for a job down there, but ultimately had to let the house go outside the family.

So lots of houses for sale near Galesville? Tempting...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2013
sv Cordelia

Nicklaus is on a distinguished road

We were in Deale the past two seasons. Love the community, but the draft on our new boat made the area a little tight.

Redfin has several properties listed and there are even more with signs. It's a beautiful area.

If I didn't think the daily commute would drive me insane, we would sale our condo in DC and move out there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-28-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
We had a great sail this past weekend and are looking forward to a hot Labor Day weekend on the boat.

Dog Days of Summer | On Board Cordelia
I just read last night, that the long-running Labor Day fireworks on the Rhode River have ended. The 3 men who ran the event for 14 years, have retired. No one picked up the gauntlet.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 08-28-2013
sv Cordelia

Nicklaus is on a distinguished road

Read that last night as well. It help finalize my weekend plans. Anchoring over on the Eastern Shore instead of staying close to home Saturday. Was really looking forward to some fireworks, too...

Old 08-28-2013

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Read that last night as well. It help finalize my weekend plans. Anchoring over on the Eastern Shore instead of staying close to home Saturday. Was really looking forward to some fireworks, too...
Last Friday, don't know why they chose a Friday, I personally experienced a great show in Queenstown Harbour..I'd say it rivals Rock Halls fire works. But without the mass..Not many boats in the harbour only two others. Surprised not more..maybe because of local knowledge of the shoaling. The show was mentioned in the Notices to Mariners...

Last edited by aa3jy; 08-28-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-02-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Best sailing three day weekend ever.

Saturday we joined in a raft up on the Corsica River with 7 fellow boats from our Maryland Yacht Club including T37Cchef and his family. The winds were 15 steady across the Bay on a near haul heading with 20-25 in the Chester River on various tacks and pints of sail including a sleigh ride 8.5-9.3 knot run on a 3 mile broad reach. Once in the Corsica we had to rescue a fellow member whose boat stalled 3 times from sediment in his diesel tank and the shock of the biocide he used horribly clogging his filter. he anchored under the sail the first time in the cover at Washes Point, we rafted to him and he changed filters. As we began dragging on his anchor, which he had to set while under sail we pulled off and he started his engine. It was running fine so we proceeded to the raft up area and anchored. We sighted him sailing and called and his engine had conked out again, so we lowed our dinghy and I sped over. When I got there my dinghy engine died...grrrr. Shawn ( T37chef arrived to rescue him and towed him to our boat and rafted it to us as I hopeless drifted away trying to restart the engine and flooded it.

He came back to rescue me and took us back to our boat. We had a great mixed dinner of mahi mahi with mango, Cajun chicken strips,, southern rice and beans and salad with a light white Santa Merherita pinot grigio. We then dinghied over to the " party boat? a Lagoon 38 for dessert including the famous Baltimore area " Bergers Cookies" The party broke up as the only T stormn in 200 miles came over head and we headed back to the boats.

The next morning brought discussion as to where to head with 5 different directions. Some had to return to the club. Our friend rafted to us and I discovered that the O ring on the new filter was no seated firmly letting air into the diesel line and thus his second issue. His engine was running great so he cast off for home port while we decided where to go. We decided to wait till we got out of the Chester. Great winds at 12-15 knots from the South, so we made a fast beeline to the Magothy. We knew our other choice Swan Creek would have lots of people anchored in it.

While we like the Magothy on the off summer months we usually avoid it during the height of the season as it is crowded, many racing power boaters with no manners, and generally noisy anchorages. We prefer the quiet of the Chester as well as other Eastern Shore creeks, but our friends assured us of a quiet spot near the Eagles Nest we had never been in. Cornfield Creek. So we raced our friends with their new to them Tartan 3700 ( great boat) across the Bay and nestled in this quiet little creek with no boat traffic. The forecast was for some rain and T storms Sunday afternoon.

We rafted together , enjoyed great company. good wine and good conversation and broke off as they wanted to leave early to avoid the T storms. We enjoyed an nice simple grilled tenderloin steak dinner with grilled portabellas, haricot verts, and baby butter lettuce salad with Jersey Beefsteak Tomatoes. Nice Boogle Red Zinfandel. Dessert was grilled peaches and nectarines with a vanilla and brandy sauce. Life is tough.

Today we had our breakfast in this beautiful peaceful creek and motor sailed out the Magothy and were treated to another 12 knot southerly breeze to sail back to Rock Creek on two different broad reaches.

We sailed almost the entire 63 miles this weekend and under optimum conditions. Only exception was arriving back at home port oit was 92 degrees with 110% humidity which
took the starch out of us.

We missed our NE LI Sound trip this tear do to my wifes caring for her 91 year old mom as well as some passing minor health blips for me, so we are planning a late September 9 day cruise down the Chesapeake.
T37Chef and 4arch like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 09-03-2013

4arch is on a distinguished road

Anyone have plans for the coming weekend? (I know, I'm thinking about it already and haven't even made it back to work yet!) Looks like the temps will cool slightly but stay clear. I'm thinking a trip up to Worton or Still Pond probably for the last swim of the season might be in order. Wouldn't be opposed to rafting either.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 09-03-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Time to start planning to attend the SSCA Annapolis Gam at Camp Letts on the Rhode River Sept 27-29. Lots of great seminars, great people, and the chance to hear Beth Leonard's keynote speech. The anchorage in the Rhode is outstanding.

Boats start drifting in by Tuesday and there are lots of informal gatherings. There is a dinghy raft-up planned for Thursday evening. Seminars being Friday afternoon and continue through Saturday, with round tables and a flea market Sunday morning.

See The Seven Seas Cruising Association - IX - .
T37Chef likes this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 09-03-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
Anyone have plans for the coming weekend? (I know, I'm thinking about it already and haven't even made it back to work yet!) Looks like the temps will cool slightly but stay clear. I'm thinking a trip up to Worton or Still Pond probably for the last swim of the season might be in order. Wouldn't be opposed to rafting either.
We're in Brian. Still Pond sounds great.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 09-03-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Well the Ravens open the football season Thursda so that leaves the weekend open

We're looking to go South, I like to save the northern bay for later in the fall. If weather cooperates, I would love to make it to the Wye. We may raft up with jozrulz

Nice write up about the past weekend Dave, it was a good time. Funny how quickly the party broke up as the storm approached. I took three trips in the dingy shuttling folks back to their boats, I was crawling over the stern rail and the skies opened, just in the Nick of time.

Sunday we enjoyed a great sail from the anchorage on the Corsica down the Chester while it seemed most were motor sailing. As were turned north towards Swan Creek we had a leisurely sail into the creek and dropped sails off Rockhall. Perfect night as we enjoyed a bottle of wine on deck after the kiddos went to sleep.

Mondays sail west into the Patapsco was just about perfect. Caught a nice size Rockfish east of Bodkin Point but the kids agreed that we should throw it back.

Back in the slip the girls enjoyed the last swim in the pool for the year while I completed a few boat projects.

All in all is was a pretty awesome holiday weekend and most of all we had some wonderful family time away from all the craziness the first week back at school brings.

Can't wait to be back out this weekend!!!!!