Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2013 Sailing Season

Well Sunday I took of half the canvas, replaced the impeller, opened the seacock and fired the Yanmar. Caught the first time and worked like it should. I said my thank yous to all the sea gods for that and gave Haleakula a kiss. While it warmed up I gave a run down my checklist of electronics and fired them all up. Stereo worked, chartplotter worked, radar worked, freshwater pumps, etc.

All looks good. The new cushions Donna has been working on all winter look great.

This comming weekend is our official start of boating season an our first weeked staying back on the boat every weekend. Good thing as our Club is having its St Patricks Party Saturday night and I dont wantto drive home afterwards...tihsway we can just roll down the doick to our boat

I have one project...new rope clutches and a few winches to rebuild but looks like the weekend of the 22 should be our first sail of 2013 weather permitting.

We usually start off with our 135 and she is waiting in the V berth to be put on the Harken furler.

Cant wait to set Haleakula free of her winter dock lines and knock the slime off her bottom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 03-11-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
We usually start off with our 135 and she is waiting in the V berth to be put on the Harken furler.
Good to hear you got some work done, but be careful not to pull that headsail in too tight, it may jam!

We'll see you Sunday I guess for slip pick day or whatever its called?
chef2sail likes this.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 03-24-2013

Got Miss Haleakula out of her slip today and shook her down without putting the sails up.
Took he for a spin across to Old Rhode Bay and back. Felt good to get out on the water albet it was as cold as a#$%^&*(*(&*^&%^%.

We slept on her last night. Sailing season 2013 has begun for us even tough chance of flurries exhitsts tonight..grrrrrr...
T37Chef likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-24-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Brought my new to me Irwin 38 CC from Herrington Harbor South to Pasadena (30 miles up the Chesapeake) yesterday - just a motor because I'm not done checking rigging yet.

The season has begun.
T37Chef, T37SOLARE and wingNwing like this.
Old 03-28-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Congrats Chuckles

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 03-30-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

I also made my first sail of the season yesterday.

The engine ran flawlessly after my winter maintenance.
I started with a reefed main, and my smallest jib. I shook out the reef after a bit, and had a fine afternoon sail.

The clouds rolled in as I departed, so I only had sporadic sun. The breeze was kind of blustery, but the water was pretty flat, so I made a good turn of speed.

The P30 is a sweetly sailing boat. Lashing the tiller with a jib sheet made an excellent autopilot while I fetched a beverage and checked my GPS.

T37Chef likes this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 03-31-2013
美國佬

willyd is on a distinguished road

I've been able to get out approximately once every two weeks since mid-February. It helps that I've got a flexible work schedule and have been able to catch the (few) good days we've had when they occurred. Yesterday was just grand. I really enjoy getting out early in the season, when there's no motor-boat traffic. It's also nice not to hear other machinery like the dreaded leaf blowers and such. We heard a loon call on the Severn during a daysail in February.

I'm also going to try rigging various self-steering combinations - my boat often sails herself upwind, but not always. I've used a setup similar to Bubblehead's (but run through the normal sheet block) to go downwind.
T37Chef and chef2sail like this.

Last edited by willyd; 03-31-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-01-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Heh, lashing the tiller is a temporary solution for me.

I have an Autohelm 1000 that I'm going to install, but I'll need to beef up the cockpit mounting point with a wood block and some epoxy. I've been waiting for the temperatures to be high enough for a good cure, and dry enough. I only want to do this job once.

I do believe it's time to start running the wiring though...
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 04-06-2013

Greetings from Ross Cove

We are anchored in Ross Cove on the Magothy River with our propane heater keeping the boat cozy. Had a nice grilled tri tip steak with wild rice for dinner. Always tastes better on the water. Was a cold sail in light winds with only a 120 up today. No others on the Bay except the Pride of Baltimore with all sails flying.

Sailed by Chuckles place ans saw he and Mary's new pride and joy. Good luck with her. She looks great.

Great to be back on the water .

Oh BTW the Osprey nest we are anchored close to gave the poor bird fits. He's gonna need a bird shrink

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 04-06-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Greetings from Ross Cove

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
We are anchored in Ross Cove on the Magothy River with our propane heater keeping the boat cozy. Had a nice grilled tri tip steak with wild rice for dinner. Always tastes better on the water. Was a cold sail in light winds with only a 120 up today. No others on the Bay except the Pride of Baltimore with all sails flying.

Sailed by Chuckles place ans saw he and Mary's new pride and joy. Good luck with her. She looks great.

Great to be back on the water .

Oh BTW the Osprey nest we are anchored close to gave the poor bird fits. He's gonna need a bird shrink

Dave
We can't wait. Final preps on the hard tomorrow, and assuming everything checks out we'll splash at noon high tide on Monday.

We spend the day at the Safety at Sea course at the Naval Academy. As the Capitol Steps would say, "Stood guff!"

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)