Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2013

wavedancer38 is on a distinguished road
Re: 2013 Sailing Season

We were out Sunday as well. Winds started out almost nonexistent and picked up to about 20 kn. We sailed down to the harbor and were lucky enough to see the Maryland Pride sailing right past us. Lots of cargo ship traffic in the Patapsco too.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2013
sv Cordelia

Nicklaus is on a distinguished road

We had a great, relaxing sail on Friday. Maybe one of the most enjoyable ones of the season.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/cord...xjMsgID=290530

There wasn't much sailing on Saturday

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/cord...xjMsgID=290531

and Sunday was probably the worst sail I've had yet. Weather turned. Boat problems. You name it.

Complete 180 | On Board Cordelia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-08-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Nick,

Email sent.

Rich
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 10-09-2013
美國佬

willyd is on a distinguished road

I got some unasked-for time to go sailing starting last week, so I set sail on Friday and motored and drifted and drifted and motored as far as Swan Creek Friday evening. Drifted to Reed Creek Saturday, which was beautiful. Got a lot of chores done on the boat since I was moving so little. After spending the entire morning becalmed, I almost sailed back home Sunday afternoon to avoid what sounded like a day of dismal weather on Monday, but I wouldn't have made it back before dark, and it would have been a beat the whole way, so I just sailed back and forth on the Chester that afternoon. I waited out the bad stuff in Davis Creek near Cacaway Island, then headed home with building winds yesterday, covering the 35 miles home by early afternoon.

It's funny how in one day you can sail in everything from deck-washing wind and chop to nearly glassy calm weather. This is especially true coming off the Bay and going up the Severn - the wind can be blowing like stink out on in the open water, and then nothing but intermittent gusts as soon as you pass the corner at the Naval Academy. All in all, though, I think yesterday may have been the best day I've ever had sailing, it was so perfect coming back up the Severn.

My outboard stopped pumping water on Monday, and then a heron landed on it when I was below decks and took a big crap on it to add insult to injury. I saw and heard so much wildlife during this trip it was almost annoying: honking, squawking, hooting, screeching, splashing, and evening something braying at a nearby farm. No leaf blowers, generators, or traffic rumble.

Oh yeah, meals: 1 can of Chef Boyardee ravioli, one can of lite beef soup, two packets instant microwave macaroni and cheese (don't have a microwave on my boat, so I boiled it on the stove), 1 packet of ramen, some leftover Turkish kofte and vegetables, two apples, four or five granola bars, one pint of mixed nuts and raisins, one beef sausage stretched out over three days, five eggs, two cups of oatmeal, some coffee, and instant cocoa. And popcorn. I lost nearly five pounds.
T37Chef and BubbleheadMd like this.

Last edited by willyd; 11-04-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-09-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Time for bottom paint. Hauling at HHN. I sailed down yesterday (spinnaker run all the way - excellent). Tuna salad for lunch, burgers on the grill last night, matzo brai for breakfast. Sitting in the lift well waiting my turn.
T37Chef and BubbleheadMd like this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-09-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
My outboard stopped pumping water on Monday, and then a heron landed on it when I was below decks and took a big crap on it to add insult to injury.

Oh yeah, meals: 1 can of Chef Boyardee ravioli, one can of lite beef soup, two packets instant microwave macaroni and cheese (don't have a microwave on my boat, so I boiled it on the stove), 1 packet of ramen, some leftover Turkish kofte and vegetables, two apples, four or five granola bars, one pint of mixed nuts and raisins, one beef sausage stretched out over three days, five eggs, two cups of oatmeal, some coffee, and instant cocoa. And popcorn. I lost nearly five pounds.
First, the part about the heron is hilarious.

Second...it sounds like you live somewhere within close proximity to Annapolis? We offer some great classes on various cooking topics, I would be happy to help you improve your menu choices I swear its not much more work then heating some Ramen http://www.aacc.edu/noncredit/file/N...heduleFall.pdf

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 10-10-2013
Mermaid Hunter

High winds yesterday, off and on, so took most of the day to get hauled and blocked. Plenty of time for baked cod, brown rice, and roast Brussel sprouts for lunch.

Auspicious is on the hard this winter for the first time in seven years. I have a long list of projects...
T37Chef likes this.

Old 10-10-2013
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
We offer some great classes on various cooking topics, I would be happy to help you improve your menu choices I swear its not much more work then heating some Ramen http://www.aacc.edu/noncredit/file/N...heduleFall.pdf
I see a couple that would be great fun. Lots of demos and not so much hands-on though. The Thai class looks interesting, but it's a demo so what do i do with my Thai sticky rice steamer and 1-gallon mortar and pestle? *grin*

Old 10-10-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Dave, you could teach most of these vocational classes!

They are really designed mostly for entertainment. I rarely teach them, there are a few that are hands on and are geared to a specific technique, method, and/or subject.

We have tried to offer some more advanced classes, but I think the names lost peoples interest? What seems to grab people are things like Artisan Breads or You go Grill...not Grilling Basics or Butchery 101 I guess sometimes you just have to cater to the majority audience?

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 10-10-2013
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Dave, you could teach most of these vocational classes!
That would be fun!

We'll just have to get together and play with our food sometime. *grin*

My sister-in-law is Thai. I've been trying to capture some of her recipes (she just cooks and has nothing written down). Somewhere there is a picture of Lamoun and I both on the floor pounding away with pestles. Her peanut sauce starts with raw peanuts.

Quote:
They are really designed mostly for entertainment. I rarely teach them, there are a few that are hands on and are geared to a specific technique, method, and/or subject.
I did notice the absence of your name in the catalog. The knife skills course was the one that lept out at me as hands-on. I have a knife day coming up. Boat knives, my house knives, and Janet's house knives are all due for a session with a tri-stone. 20 knives will chew up some time. *grin*

Quote:
We have tried to offer some more advanced classes, but I think the names lost peoples interest? What seems to grab people are things like Artisan Breads or You go Grill...not Grilling Basics or Butchery 101 I guess sometimes you just have to cater to the majority audience?
Agreed. You know Mike Smollen don't you? He had some great classes, including spending a day in the back doing production butchering. I loved that experience but it clearly wasn't of broad appeal. I'd still take a long time to turn a cow into plastic-wrapped cuts and grinds in styrofoam trays but I know I can do it. Fowl are easy and I can fit a chicken into the galley. A cow -- even a skinny Anegada cow -- would require a beach and a tree. *grin*

As you pointed out, it doesn't take much to improve on boil-in-a-bag or nuke-em food. The experience is a huge improvement and the effort is not that significant.

I recall a delivery a few years ago that was nearly side-by-side with another Swan. The crews ended up in a bar at Nanny Cay comparing passage notes. My crew kept talking about food. The other boat ate frozen dinners for two weeks. They all ended up on our boat for dinner eating leftovers. *grin*

There are some interesting books out about cooking at sea but generally it's all the same skill set, just bumpier. Mise en place becomes more important, and non-skid is of great value. My best resource at sea is Joy of Cooking 1975 (1997 is awful, the 75th Anniversary edition is fine). I read MtAoFC and McGee for entertainment and general understanding. On the boaty cooking front I like Greenwald and Pardey. I have a copy of Carolyn Shearlock's "the boat galley" and am still working my way through it. No judgment yet. I do like her presence on the Internet and her responsiveness to questions.

Dinner tomorrow will be Thai shrimp skewers on the grill with sticky rice.
T37Chef likes this.