Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2013
美國佬

willyd is on a distinguished road
Re: 2013 Sailing Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
First, the part about the heron is hilarious.

Second...it sounds like you live somewhere within close proximity to Annapolis? We offer some great classes on various cooking topics, I would be happy to help you improve your menu choices I swear its not much more work then heating some Ramen http://www.aacc.edu/noncredit/file/N...heduleFall.pdf
I can cook just fine, I just didn't bring along any decent food this time, since I usually go overboard (pun) bringing too much food. I would have included 1 stewed heron on the list of meals if I'd been able to scramble out of the cabin fast enough.
Old 10-18-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

A friend and I set off for the Chesapeake Bay Bridge which is the starting line for the Great Cheseapeake Bay Schooner Race.

The breeze started out very light at 6 kts, so we double-handed my symmetric spinnaker on a tight reach to Thomas Point Light from the mouth of the West River. After we rounded the light, it was DDW to the bridge.

Once we arrived at the starting line, the only reminders that we were still in the present day, were hulking bridge and a couple of anchored RO-RO's. It was like the set of Pirates of the Carribean.

I shot some video, and we probably took 1,000 still-shots. We're still sorting through them, but I'll post links to my photo sharing site once I've isolated the best ones. We motored around behind the starting line to stay out of the way.

After the race's start, we sailed upwind into a building breeze. Since I'm able to outpoint most of these old gals, we were able to get ahead of them and get some really good shots of Pride of Baltimore and another boat racing hard and in close quarters.

I think the camera lens perspective doesn't show it, but near Thomas Point Light, it really looked like these two ships were trying to run us down. We weren't pointing high enough to clear the lighthouse, and apparently the tactic these ships employ for tacking is to foot off and build speed just prior to the tack, to carry momentum through the tack, and build speed again.

Last night, a front passed through, changing the wind direction to come from the NW, so I'm sure they had a blast last night, sailing downwind.
T37Chef and willyd like this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Very kewl Bub

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 10-22-2013

boz86 is on a distinguished road

Our sailing season is officially over, boat going on the hard today. I plan some repairs/upgrades this winter.
Old 10-22-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Flickr photstream of the GCBSR here:
Flickr: rpacuti's Photostream
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 10-22-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Last weekend wed had our clubs annual Geese Circus watching weekend at Cackaway in the Chester, but had to divert.

8 boats..we being the smallest, 35 C&C, 36 CC Benetau, 3700 Tartan, 38 Hunter, 40 Catalina, 46 Passport, 62 Sundeer, and the mothership..a 68 foot custom made catamaran.

Winds were howling at 25 on the nose when we got out of the Patapsco forcasted to clock around to the NW at 25 overnight with the front passage so we decided to forgo the 4 ft chop on the nose and run for the Magothy to our hiding place Broad Creek.

We had a wild ride down the Bay and into the river and anchor in a great protected area. Party began at 4 PM with hors devores and pumpkin shooters and great hors devores. Big full harvest moon at sunset and great commrradiere.

And in the mnoring the geese followed us and we saw some of the circus with one clanging off our mast and fell onto the deck as they tried to "land" in formation. The mothership hosted apple cinnamon silver dollar pumpkin pancakes.

Sunday was a great sail home in 12-15 knots. Fall sailing in the Chesapeake is the best.

Dave
T37Chef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
62 Sundeer
Actually its a Sundeer 60, linked below plus I often walk down and just admire Dashews work of art, what an awesome boat!

World Cruising Club

Yours Truly,
THE Yacht Builder Police

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 10-22-2013

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

Sundeer does make a 62..

DashewOffshore.com - the serious cruising sailor's website

..but what do I know

Had a great sail this past weekend on the Chester..saw more eagles then those pesky ospreys
Old 10-22-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Actually its a Sundeer 60, linked below plus I often walk down and just admire Dashews work of art, what an awesome boat!

World Cruising Club

Yours Truly,
THE Yacht Builder Police
I maybe confused I know they made a few models adding cutting feet and morphed from the Deerfoot as Clay posted.

Having sailed on her 4 or 5 times on the Bay doing 9+ beating and 13+ downwind she is truly a phenomenal boat. Narrow for the waterline. I was fortunate to go with them for a few days offshore a few years ago. The bot handles almost all seas and points of wind effortlessly.

I got to meet their friends who have Ocean Jasper a similar Sundeer who convinced them to buy the boat. A step into another world from their previous Chrisina Hans Christian. and did the world ARC with them. I notice Ocean Jasper is for sail in Oxford for a mere $525,000

Great boats to dream about.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy:1109141
Sundeer does make a 62..

DashewOffshore.com - the serious cruising sailor's website

..but what do I know

Had a great sail this past weekend on the Chester..saw more eagles then those pesky ospreys
Never said there wasn't a 62, just pointing out to Dave the boat mentioned is a 60, its at the end of our pier.

Photo by Joe McCary