Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: 2013 Sailing Season

My season went like this:

Work like mad get boat launched early.

Cold

More Cold

Work

Cold

1st overnight, 1st weekend of June

3 days after 1st overnight Emergency surgery for me - large tumor - 7 days in hospital

find out its not cancer - whew what a relief - Right?

weeks to recover enough to go back to work

Wife has mammogram appointment wants to cancel-I'm still recouperating-I make her go.

Mammogram shows "Abnormality" probably nothing, but need biopsy

Biopsy show atypia, but not cancer. Whew, what a relief Right?

I recover enough to do Gov Cup, wife recovering from biopsy and can't go, Awesome crew this year, but a buzz kill she can't be there.

Wife does help deliver the boat back home which takes 2 days (Strong north winds on Sun) pretty good time with a nice night in Solomons

Dr.s reviews biopsy and is concerned they missed an area, so she has a 2nd procedure

More atypia still no cancer, still atypic tissue but must be removed

Lumpectomy

Overnight to Annapolis motoring since she can't help sail the boat and even if I single handed the boat, the heeling would be too much for her

Lumpectomy shows cancer and no clean margins - fear of mastectomy becomes your reality

One last day sail in Herring Bay with our non-sailing neighbors that have done so much to helps us out the past months - crossed tacks with T37Chef close enough to exchange pleasantries.

Wife has double mastectomy

Biopsy results - Finally clear of cancer - no need for radiation or follow on drugs - Thank you God! Finally, some real relief.

So, here I sit two weeks past her surgery, knowing she still has a tough painful road ahead but that also that this will soon be behind us, and we'll soon be peacefully at anchor somewhere on the Bay.

Fair winds and following seas to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Your post sure puts it all in perspective. Take care of yourself and loved ones first. There will always be sailing later. My prayers to you and your wife for healthy recoveries.

Peace!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 10-28-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Jesus, Palmetto. You sure got the short end of the stick this year. May next year, and those that follow, be better.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 10-28-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

For some reason, getting my boat's name actually printed out and installed seemed like a trivial annoyance. I've had bigger, more critical upgrades and repairs to me.

My blank transom has mocked me for the past two years. Something about it really gnawed at me, as if I were doing the boat a disservice.

Keeping the engine reliable, replacing standing rigging. Those seemed so much more important than a vinyl decal on the stern, yet seeing that blank panel really irritated me.

Installing the name was a real PITA. The backing sheet really tried its best to screw up the release of the name, but I finally got it.

1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 10-28-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Donna and my prayers are with you. Real life outshadows sailing . Hopefully things improve my friend. A blessing they got the cancer.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-30-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the kind words.

As said by those who trod this path ahead of her, my wife is now a member of a club no one wants to join. I can't help but be awed with the way she faced this battle. My heart goes out to those who have faced similar and even more daunting challenges.

As for this years sailing season, its true we didnt pile on a lot of adventures but the few we did are all the more treasured as they served as punctuation to reminders how things can change in the blink of an eye. Remember life is not a dress rehersal so live it large without regrets.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 11-12-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Enjoyed a good solo sail Monday for a few hours. Was a perfect fall morning with the river pretty much to myself. There's certainly something special about sailing alone, the connection with the water, wind, and boat is unique isn't it. We're hoping to get out this weekend, destination unknown. Surprised how many boats that have removed sails already? So a few flurries this morning but still many days left to sail???

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Old 11-12-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Monday at noon.

Season over
Old 11-12-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Pretty boat Chuck

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Old 11-13-2013
美國佬

willyd is on a distinguished road

I went out Saturday on the Severn with two sailing club (ASC) members and my daughter. The wind was rather inconsistent, but it was still a nearly perfect day. We saw maybe two other sailboats. I assume there were more the closer you got to the sailing capital. Don't really get while people think you can only sail when you have to get sunburned and sweaty and dodge motor boat wakes to do so.
Jeff_H likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.