Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2013 Sailing Season

Beautiful morning here on the Magothy. Mrs Osprey has calmed down while her mate is gathering more materials for the nest. This after he shared a fish breakfast with his mate. We are having our usual fish Sunday breakfast of smoked Scotish Lox and bagels ( tomatoes cream cheese and fresh chives) , turkey bacon and sausage., and French pressed Kona coffee.

This Magothy river is one of the prettiest on the eastern shore with lots of coves and anchorages. First time we ever pulled in here. We usually like Broad Creek, Eagles Nest , Dividing Creek areas.

Very protected except for west wind. Today is calling for S to Ssw 25-30 knot winds and SCWarnings so we re getting an early start.

Should be a sleigh ride home north to the Patapsco and Rock Creek.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
It has been a while since I have been out...did they move the Magothy to the Eastern shore?

Glad to hear you had a nice weekend, beats running bilge hose!
TakeFive likes this.

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Last edited by T37Chef; 04-07-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-07-2013

What do you want from a Jersey Boy. It was the smoked lox or may all the damn wind blew us all over. Correction western hore,

Today we left early to beat the huge winds and shot up the Bsy pushed litterally by steady 20 with gusts to 35. Sailed up on a 110 jib. Docking the boat with a huge tailwind was a trip too, there was even wind in our club pier areas today.

Was a great first weekend out. Next week instead of eating the lox...well smoke and see if I can navigate better

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-07-2013

4arch is on a distinguished road

Dave - Glad to hear you and Donna made it out this weekend - sounds like a great time!

We splashed Thursday night and I spend the better part of the weekend putting the boat back together. She should be ready to go for 2013's adventures now.
Old 04-08-2013
sv Cordelia

Nicklaus is on a distinguished road

Yesterday was our first voyage on Cordelia. Man what a day – I think she handled it a lot better than we did.

Despite spending Saturday doing the rigging and final system checks, we still weren’t able to pull out of Smith’s until close to noon. We had white caps all the way down the Severn. Since it was our first sail – and my first time to rig the boat – we figured consistent 22-24 knot (saw a gust up to 31) winds and 2-3 ft seas would be a bit too adventurous for the first sail and would only be a) asking for trouble and b) convince my wife to never set foot on the boat again.

We only saw one other boat out on the Bay proper – a 40 ft plus J Boat with about 6 crew. Beautiful boat and man they were chugging along.

Pulled into the West River late afternoon – still had the white caps but luckily the waves died down. The winds even died down some and I thought the day might turn after all. Checked the anemometer to see “died down” was still 18 knots.

Luckily the winds were blowing us out of our slip, but we still had to dock fast because the second I knocked us out of gear we would start blowing out of the slip. After two failed attempts, I pulled in going close to two knots. That gave us enough momentum to get tied off.

Wasn't the best day, but was good to get out there.

Old 04-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklaus View Post
Yesterday was our first voyage on Cordelia. Man what a day – I think she handled it a lot better than we did.

Despite spending Saturday doing the rigging and final system checks, we still weren’t able to pull out of Smith’s until close to noon. We had white caps all the way down the Severn. Since it was our first sail – and my first time to rig the boat – we figured consistent 22-24 knot (saw a gust up to 31) winds and 2-3 ft seas would be a bit too adventurous for the first sail and would only be a) asking for trouble and b) convince my wife to never set foot on the boat again.

We only saw one other boat out on the Bay proper – a 40 ft plus J Boat with about 6 crew. Beautiful boat and man they were chugging along.

Pulled into the West River late afternoon – still had the white caps but luckily the waves died down. The winds even died down some and I thought the day might turn after all. Checked the anemometer to see “died down” was still 18 knots.

Luckily the winds were blowing us out of our slip, but we still had to dock fast because the second I knocked us out of gear we would start blowing out of the slip. After two failed attempts, I pulled in going close to two knots. That gave us enough momentum to get tied off.

Wasn't the best day, but was good to get out there.
Ill bet you had an interesting day heading South on the Bay. actually a small sail up hile motoring would help stabilize the bost, but understand not testing the first day as it was really blowing and gusty. We headed north and etched a few southern bound boats getting crushed.

Rig up a permanent spring line with the proper length from the dock to catch first and connect to midship cleat on the jib track . It will be your first line always coming and last going. It prevents you from hitting the dock, and floating out while you get the other lines to secure the boat.

Yesterday was not a docking day for the faint of heart as we saw 20 knots directly being us " pushing us into the slip" . Grabbing that line stopped the boat.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Last edited by chef2sail; 04-08-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-08-2013

zeilfanaat is on a distinguished road

I am glad everyone is reporting the same high wind speeds yesterday. We were out in the afternoon on the Patapsco off Rock Creek and saw nothing lower than the 20s, with gusts in the low 30s. However, the history at the Francis Scott Key Bridge showed winds in the 15-20 range throughout the day. I was wondering if the calibration on our wind instruments was off! It sure felt like a 20-30 kind of day.
Old 04-08-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

No great sailing story today. But she's in the water (splashed at noon), in the slip, and I'm enjoying a Wawa hoagie in glorious weather. Will bend the sails on after I eat.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 04-08-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-08-2013
sv Cordelia

Nicklaus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Ill bet you had an interesting day heading South on the Bay. actually a small sail up hile motoring would help stabilize the bost, but understand not testing the first day as it was really blowing and gusty. We headed north and etched a few southern bound boats getting crushed.

Rig up a permanent spring line with the proper length from the dock to catch first and connect to midship cleat on the jib track . It will be your first line always coming and last going. It prevents you from hitting the dock, and floating out while you get the other lines to secure the boat.

Yesterday was not a docking day for the faint of heart as we saw 20 knots directly being us " pushing us into the slip" . Grabbing that line stopped the boat.

Dave
You're right. Letting out a little jib would have helped, but would have forced us to tack as we had the wind right on our nose and in those conditions on a new to me boat... I wanted a direct shot.

I wish someone would have left a line on the dock, but the pilings were cleared by the previous slip holder. I'm going to put a spring line up, but didn't yesterday since I had to wait for a lull to do any adjusting.

Old 04-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeilfanaat View Post
I am glad everyone is reporting the same high wind speeds yesterday. We were out in the afternoon on the Patapsco off Rock Creek and saw nothing lower than the 20s, with gusts in the low 30s. However, the history at the Francis Scott Key Bridge showed winds in the 15-20 range throughout the day. I was wondering if the calibration on our wind instruments was off! It sure felt like a 20-30 kind of day.
We probably saw you headed out of Rock Creek we came in about 1 and there were only 2 or 3 boats out. What size Jeanneu? Where do you keep her ?

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.