Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: 2013 Sailing Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Bubble,
You were on the Magothy? At Fairwinds? I was there Saturday looking at a friends boat.
Wish I'd known.
This was yesterday, at Ferry Point Marina. not Saturday. No worries.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Actually I'm 5 minutes from Ferry Point Marina by dinghy.
You said mouth of the magothy - that's up by deep creek. I'm down by the triangle of the MR, #2 and #15 day marks.
Old 04-23-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
hey Bubblehead...sorry I didn't join you Monday ...perhaps we'll meet up sometime this season. Glad to hear your trip went well
Old 04-27-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Looks like we are headed out going south this AM . Light winds grrr. I think we may head to Whitehall or Mill Creeks as we rarely get there in the summer as its busy and protected ( hot) up inside the creeks.

I have some water balloons so Jeff/ Jaronson watch out

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-27-2013

We are anchored way up Whitehall Creek past the marina in an absolutely beucholic setting. Pars of ducks and geese everywhere like we stumbled into an aviary sex clinic or mating ground.

Lazy spring afternoon. Having some grilled fresh swordfish steaks with fresh line and mangos with a salad for dinner. I've been forced by recent events to change some of my eating habits to eliminate starches so no rice tonight, bummer.

Winds tomorrow expected to be on the quarter sailing home at 15-20 knotts.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-28-2013

4arch is on a distinguished road

We motored down to Broad Creek on the Magothy yesterday afternoon and anchored fairly close to the little island there. We saw a lot of goose, osprey, and blue heron activity. There were a couple of other boats but it was still very serene. Last night the new propane stove made its debut and it was amazing. Now it's possible to do some real cooking aboard without pulling our hair out. This morning the wind was up by 9 AM. We beat out of the Magothy and then sailed on a broad reach out into the bay and jibed into the river. It was an amazing sailing day, especially before the cloud cover started to roll in around noon.

I also have to say the soda blasting and bottom job I did over the winter/spring is proving to be worth every penny. The speeds we were seeing all weekend under motor and sail were remarkable compared to before even when freshly repainted. The boat just feels lighter and more sprightly now.
Old 04-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
We motored down to Broad Creek on the Magothy yesterday afternoon and anchored fairly close to the little island there. We saw a lot of goose, osprey, and blue heron activity. There were a couple of other boats but it was still very serene. Last night the new propane stove made its debut and it was amazing. Now it's possible to do some real cooking aboard without pulling our hair out. This morning the wind was up by 9 AM. We beat out of the Magothy and then sailed on a broad reach out into the bay and jibed into the river. It was an amazing sailing day, especially before the cloud cover started to roll in around noon.

I also have to say the soda blasting and bottom job I did over the winter/spring is proving to be worth every penny. The speeds we were seeing all weekend under motor and sail were remarkable compared to before even when freshly repainted. The boat just feels lighter and more sprightly now.
Sorry we missed you guys. Glad all that work on the bottom showed big results./ Cant wait till the diver gives Haleakulas " bottom " a wipe.

Having propane is a great idea. See you and Sharon soon.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 04-29-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

I caught that 15-20 on the way home from the Spring Show in Annapolis on Sunday.
It turned into an apparent wind 28 at times. A really good shake down sail (not a break down). I'm happy to say my me and my Irwin 38 CC will be having a good summer.
Old 04-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
I caught that 15-20 on the way home from the Spring Show in Annapolis on Sunday.
It turned into an apparent wind 28 at times. A really good shake down sail (not a break down). I'm happy to say my me and my Irwin 38 CC will be having a good summer.
Sorry I didn't take pictures. I will next time for you. She is looking good Chuck and will serve you well. Especially in wind like yesterday. Verty comfortable ride. Ill bet you amazed at the difference the weight ( power feeling of the hull) is making as you cruise in heavy winds vs. skipping across the water.

We were hauling the main pretty well headed up to the Patapso from the bridge doing well in excess of 7 knots with just little handkerchief of a 120 as the headsail and the centerboard down.

I think next weekend its time to go back to "Big Bertha" the 150. The diver should be going under Haleakula this week so that's usually good for at least 1/2 knott.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 04-29-2013

My grass skirt was waving at nearby boats. I kept full sail up (even past 20kts) to see how she handled it.
Dropped a few items off the settee here and there, but pretty stiff at 20 degrees.

The full jib caused a touch too much weather helm - lift made her constantly try to point up, so much than in a real puff Resolute_ZS had full rudder on to keep her from rounding up. I should have bled off some, but I wanted to see what it would do and was having too much of a lazy sail to do the trim in/trim out deal in fluky wind.

It won't take too long for me to loose all my bad catamaran sailing habits and get back to mono hull.