Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2013

4arch is on a distinguished road
Re: 2013 Sailing Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Sorry we missed you guys. Glad all that work on the bottom showed big results./ Cant wait till the diver gives Haleakulas " bottom " a wipe.

Having propane is a great idea. See you and Sharon soon.

Dave
Sorry we missed you guys too.

We have family obligations that will keep us from doing more than day sailing the next couple of weekends but we're planning to be out on the weekends of May 18 and 25 for sure. On the 25th (Memorial Day Weekend) we have the ambitious plan of leaving Friday night and sailing overnight to St. Michaels. The boat I worked on at the museum is scheduled to launch Saturday afternoon. We'll probably stay in St. M Saturday night and go somewhere more quiet Sunday. Maybe we'll see you and some other sailnetters out one of those weekends.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Looks like we are headed over to the Corsica River and branch of the Chester River on the eastern shore. Couple of boats headed over from the club so it looks like some extended cocktail hour. Winds are 5-12 right now expected to lighten, but the forecast is hard to predict in the spring correctly. They have already upped tomorrow to 10-15. Should be a lice broad reach home tomorrow.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-06-2013

The weatherman is surely doing drugs. The forecast was backwards for the weekend.

We sailed over to the Corsica with two other boats in the club and saw only 7-12 till we hit the Chester River. From their we saw a steady 18 with gusts to 25 all the way up to the Corsica.

After passing the old Russian embassy summer house we tucked into a nice cove right before Wash Point which has a great bluff of 40ft which offered good protection from the gusty east winds. The wind died and we raft the three boast, a Bavaria 36, a Hunter 38 and our 35. We used our ROCNA as the anchor as both other Captains felt more confident with it.

Had a nice cocktail party/ hors devours and then had dinner on board the Hunter and watched the sunset. Great quiet peaceful spot.

Wind picked up again at 7 AM. Hung out with the Baviaria ( Hunter left at 10.) and we took off.

On our way back down the Chester we saw Clay/ Leslie ( Tango) headed at us and we passed waving. Looking good

We sailed back across the Bay in lightening wind till we finally motor sailed the last 10 miles.

Corsica is a beautiful place to go which is quiet and peaceful.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-06-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The weatherman is surely doing drugs. The forecast was backwards for the weekend...
I joked to Ulladh that because of sequestration, NOAA is playing back reruns from prior years. Their forecasts this weekend certainly seemed to be the opposite of what actually happened.

On Saturday we both ended up in heavy seas that pushed our boats to the limits. We sailed down to Miah Maull Shoal in the forecast 5-10 kt breeze, I had shaken out the prior day's reef because it seemed so benign, things really died for about an hour and then WHAM, it kicked up like crazy with big following seas. I was able to get the main completely down and sailed downwind on genoa alone. I'm glad I was clipped in as the boat heaved like crazy. For over 2 hours I had to have both hands on the wheel at all times. My mouth was totally dry and I couldn't even grab the water bottle. Out of the hundreds of waves, I misjudged one and broached with water over the gunwale (less than a gallon). I pulled the wheel with all my might to recover, and got out of it before the next wave could roll me. Judging by the traffic on Ch 16 and the belated small craft advisories (which were not present that morning), it seemed like the Chesapeake and the Delaware Bays had similar stinky conditions that afternoon.

After my steering chain jumped a link in a brief 20kt blow last year, I did some stuff to reinforce the steering system bracket down below. It held this time without a single jumped link, so I'm glad I reinforced it! Otherwise I am sure my steering sysem would have failed and I would have been in deep doo-doo with my little emergency tiller.
Ulladh likes this.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 05-06-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-06-2013

Of all the places I have sailed the Delaware Bay have been some of the nastiest with opposing wind and tide and those damned 4 second interval waves. It isn't called the home of the square wave for nothing. Once past Egg point back in the river its not as bad, but in the wide open fetch further down like near the Miah Maul it can be downright brutal and stop forward progress easily.

Wave height was 2-4 on the readings I saw at the entrance and also the Miah Maul station. but the interval was very short.

Glad you had an uneventful trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I joked to Ulladh that because of sequestration, NOAA is playing back reruns from prior years. Their forecasts this weekend certainly seemed to be the opposite of what actually happened.

On Saturday we both ended up in heavy seas that pushed our boats to the limits. We sailed down to Miah Maull Shoal in the forecast 5-10 kt breeze, I had shaken out the prior day's reef because it seemed so benign, things really died for about an hour and then WHAM, it kicked up like crazy with big following seas. I was able to get the main completely down and sailed downwind on genoa alone. I'm glad I was clipped in as the boat heaved like crazy. For over 2 hours I had to have both hands on the wheel at all times. My mouth was totally dry and I couldn't even grab the water bottle. Out of the hundreds of waves, I misjudged one and broached with water over the gunwale (less than a gallon). I pulled the wheel with all my might to recover, and got out of it before the next wave could roll me. Judging by the traffic on Ch 16 and the belated small craft advisories (which were not present that morning), it seemed like the Chesapeake and the Delaware Bays had similar stinky conditions that afternoon.

After my steering chain jumped a link in a brief 20kt blow last year, I did some stuff to reinforce the steering system bracket down below. It held this time without a single jumped link, so I'm glad I reinforced it! Otherwise I am sure my steering sysem would have failed and I would have been in deep doo-doo with my little emergency tiller.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 05-06-2013
美國佬

willyd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The weatherman is surely doing drugs. The forecast was backwards for the weekend.

We sailed over to the Corsica with two other boats in the club and saw only 7-12 till we hit the Chester River. From their we saw a steady 18 with gusts to 25 all the way up to the Corsica.
I anchored on the Corsica as well. I got hit with the gusty stuff Saturday afternoon just after rounding Love Point and beat into the wind for two hours until rounding the corner off of Eastern Neck. I tried to make it into Reed Creek, but after running aground and dark falling, I headed into the Corsica, which is barely marked. After the terns woke me up, I saw a skipjack-looking boat leave around 7:00. I left close to 8:00, got back to Love Point around 10:00 with great wind, donated my spinnaker pole to Neptune right at the yellow mark just as the wind died, then took until 4:00 to get to and back up the Severn, at which point the wind decided to blow again with some consistency.

Took some videos, here.

Oh, and I had some cold chicken, a carrot, and an Insanely Bad Elf Imperial Red Ale for dinner.
Old 05-07-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Here's some video from my 4-day cruise down into Cohansey River and Delaware Bay, this past weekend along with Ulladh. Not particularly interesting video, but it's all I was able to get. I couldn't get my camera out quick enough to catch the eagle I saw, and I couldn't get my camera out at all while singlehanding in the most "interesting" conditions:

Here are a few stills:

Ulladh likes this.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 05-07-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-07-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

We had planned on taking a overnight to Swan Creek, but decided to just do the chore list instead.

From what you folks encountered I'm glad we didn't go. I'm looking for a fairly easy first of the season sail for me and the Admiral. I've already enjoyed a 20-28 (true/apparent) ride on the shake down cruise, don't need that for the fun cruise.
Old 05-07-2013
sv Cordelia

Nicklaus is on a distinguished road

We had two great day sails this weekend. Winds did pick up to a max of 18 out in the Bay when we started heading back in. Had a quick run back to the West River. Sunday wasn't nearly as windy for us and once we headed into the South River to explore a little, the wind died completely. It of course decided to get me into a mess of crab pots before puttering out.

Wrote up a more detailed description on the blog HERE.

Old 05-07-2013

Ulladh is on a distinguished road

I posted in more detail over on the Delaware River May 2013 thread.

Our Cinco de Mayo sail was a good and challenging way to warm up for the sailing season. The dash back to Cohansey on Saturday was another reminder that my boat is a better sailor than I am.