SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

2013 Sailing Season

26K views 247 replies 25 participants last post by  Nicklaus 
#1 ·
Thought I might as well get a head start and designate a thread for all to post in as some are still sailing thorugh January and February. We typically post in a thread where we are going and what we are doing throughout the season and our escapades throughout the season.

We start out on the Ides of March ( March 15) for our first sail of the season.

Our Chesapeake group is one of the molst active on Sailnet with frequent posters and get togethers each month. Our 5th Annual Sailnet Rondezvous will take place June 8 at the Maryland Yacht Club as in years past ( There's a designated thread already). If anyone would like to volunteer to take some other days/ weekends during the season and kind of be the organizer for get togethers it would be helpful and appreciated by all of us. Sometimes we just need an organizer to take the lead herding us "cats" together. It would be great if we also could pull on thogethr down in Solomons this year to capture so others ( hint, hint).

I have been working on a design for a burgee for the "Lions of the Chesapeake" and have some design ideas but if someone has suggestions please let me know. How many woud be willling to purchase ( Looks like about $25 each. If enough want this I will proceed with itThis phrase came out of a sarcastic remark made about a few of us a number of years ago, implying we were not " real sailors" as we sailed in the Chessie. It kindof stuck as our moniker.

Also is anyone willing to take over the database and keep organized the Chesapeake eats/ Restaurant section we have. S/V Auspicious ( Dave ) maintained it for about 5 years and really did a great job with it, and it has helped many a person evaluate the various restaurants we have available. If you havent looked at it its quite extensive.

Heres to a great 2013 sailing Season..let the games begin.(bet Bubble is one of the first to post):eek:

Note to moderators: Could you make this a sticky as you have in the past and take the 2012 sailing season and let it float...Thank you:)

Dave

See less See more
Reactions: T37Chef
#2 ·
Actually, Chuckles posted first!

I'll be out and about this year in our new to us Irwin 38 CC, looking forward to meeting and greeting.
I do databases for a living, so no way I'm going to volunteer to do it off the clock :)

#4 ·
How long will you be up in the LI Sound / NE area. We are heading for Newport the weekend of August 17. Proabaly leaving August 16.

Come by car that Saturday night June 8

Dave

#5 ·
Chef: it would be great to travel together but I have to work around the school year schedule. Planning 3 weeks starting June 15.
My plan right now is to take the boat up to Baltimore and have Marcella meet me there Saturday evening on June 8th for the Sailnet get together. Leave the boat there the week then drive up the following Saturday to leave for Newport.

#6 ·
Guess I was slow to respond to this. ;)

Life and economic changes have caused a shift in my focus from racing to cruising. I have lived aboard for the past 4 months, but as of this week, I have re-occupied my home.

I do have some short and mid-distance races I'd like to do, but I have a few specific cruising goals I want to achieve:

1. Sail the loop around DeLMarVa. I expect to do this single-handed because all of my friends are married with small children, or besieged by work and social commitments.

2. I'm attempting to put together my own get-together down in Solomons. I'm working this over on Sailing Anarchy, which is why no one here has heard of it. It will not interfere in anyway with the Sailnet Rendezvous.

3. Get some sailing experience in the northern Chesapeake.

#9 ·
Funny I haven't asked to be relieved. The online sheets are current as of a couple of months ago. See the link below. I have some research to do to update the offline spreadsheet with the last three or four posts ("that restaurant over there" needs a name filled in) and then I'll update again.

I usually update once a week when the thread is active.

Jeff_H has had my commitment to keep the Chesapeake Bay Eats database current for some time.

#10 ·
Funny I haven't asked to be relieved. The online sheets are current as of a couple of months ago. See the link below. I have some research to do to update the offline spreadsheet with the last three or four posts ("that restaurant over there" needs a name filled in) and then I'll update again.

I usually update once a week when the thread is active.

Jeff_H has had my commitment to keep the Chesapeake Bay Eats database current for some time.
Dave I wasnt trying to relieve you. You are misinterpreting. When you didnt post for a number of months it seemed like you had left us and you direction appeared to be elsewhere.

With your inactivity and I didnt want to see all your hard work go by the wayside so I aske ifsomeonewould help with it thats all.

Please acept my apologies for surmising your demise.

Glad to see you are posting again:):):)

#11 · (Edited)
Well Sunday I took of half the canvas, replaced the impeller, opened the seacock and fired the Yanmar. Caught the first time and worked like it should. I said my thank yous to all the sea gods for that and gave Haleakula a kiss. While it warmed up I gave a run down my checklist of electronics and fired them all up. Stereo worked, chartplotter worked, radar worked, freshwater pumps, etc. :eek::laugher

All looks good. The new cushions Donna has been working on all winter look great.

This comming weekend is our official start of boating season an our first weeked staying back on the boat every weekend. Good thing as our Club is having its St Patricks Party Saturday night and I dont wantto drive home afterwards...tihsway we can just roll down the doick to our boat

I have one project...new rope clutches and a few winches to rebuild but looks like the weekend of the 22 should be our first sail of 2013 weather permitting.

We usually start off with our 135 and she is waiting in the V berth to be put on the Harken furler.

Cant wait to set Haleakula free of her winter dock lines and knock the slime off her bottom.:):):D:D

#13 ·
Got Miss Haleakula out of her slip today and shook her down without putting the sails up.
Took he for a spin across to Old Rhode Bay and back. Felt good to get out on the water albet it was as cold as a#$%^&*(*(&*^&%^%.

We slept on her last night. Sailing season 2013 has begun for us even tough chance of flurries exhitsts tonight..grrrrrr...

Reactions: T37Chef
#16 ·
I also made my first sail of the season yesterday.

The engine ran flawlessly after my winter maintenance.
I started with a reefed main, and my smallest jib. I shook out the reef after a bit, and had a fine afternoon sail.

The clouds rolled in as I departed, so I only had sporadic sun. The breeze was kind of blustery, but the water was pretty flat, so I made a good turn of speed.

The P30 is a sweetly sailing boat. Lashing the tiller with a jib sheet made an excellent autopilot while I fetched a beverage and checked my GPS.

#17 · (Edited)
I've been able to get out approximately once every two weeks since mid-February. It helps that I've got a flexible work schedule and have been able to catch the (few) good days we've had when they occurred. Yesterday was just grand. I really enjoy getting out early in the season, when there's no motor-boat traffic. It's also nice not to hear other machinery like the dreaded leaf blowers and such. We heard a loon call on the Severn during a daysail in February.

I'm also going to try rigging various self-steering combinations - my boat often sails herself upwind, but not always. I've used a setup similar to Bubblehead's (but run through the normal sheet block) to go downwind.

#18 ·
Heh, lashing the tiller is a temporary solution for me.

I have an Autohelm 1000 that I'm going to install, but I'll need to beef up the cockpit mounting point with a wood block and some epoxy. I've been waiting for the temperatures to be high enough for a good cure, and dry enough. I only want to do this job once.

I do believe it's time to start running the wiring though...:)

#19 ·
Greetings from Ross Cove

We are anchored in Ross Cove on the Magothy River with our propane heater keeping the boat cozy. Had a nice grilled tri tip steak with wild rice for dinner. Always tastes better on the water. Was a cold sail in light winds with only a 120 up today. No others on the Bay except the Pride of Baltimore with all sails flying.

Sailed by Chuckles place ans saw he and Mary's new pride and joy. Good luck with her. She looks great.

Great to be back on the water .

Oh BTW the Osprey nest we are anchored close to gave the poor bird fits. He's gonna need a bird shrink

Dave

#20 ·
Re: Greetings from Ross Cove

We are anchored in Ross Cove on the Magothy River with our propane heater keeping the boat cozy. Had a nice grilled tri tip steak with wild rice for dinner. Always tastes better on the water. Was a cold sail in light winds with only a 120 up today. No others on the Bay except the Pride of Baltimore with all sails flying.

Sailed by Chuckles place ans saw he and Mary's new pride and joy. Good luck with her. She looks great.

Great to be back on the water .

Oh BTW the Osprey nest we are anchored close to gave the poor bird fits. He's gonna need a bird shrink

Dave
We can't wait. Final preps on the hard tomorrow, and assuming everything checks out we'll splash at noon high tide on Monday.

We spend the day at the Safety at Sea course at the Naval Academy. As the Capitol Steps would say, "Stood guff!" :laugher

#21 ·
Beautiful morning here on the Magothy. Mrs Osprey has calmed down while her mate is gathering more materials for the nest. This after he shared a fish breakfast with his mate. We are having our usual fish Sunday breakfast of smoked Scotish Lox and bagels ( tomatoes cream cheese and fresh chives) , turkey bacon and sausage., and French pressed Kona coffee.

This Magothy river is one of the prettiest on the eastern shore with lots of coves and anchorages. First time we ever pulled in here. We usually like Broad Creek, Eagles Nest , Dividing Creek areas.

Very protected except for west wind. Today is calling for S to Ssw 25-30 knot winds and SCWarnings so we re getting an early start.

Should be a sleigh ride home north to the Patapsco and Rock Creek.

Dave

#23 ·
What do you want from a Jersey Boy. It was the smoked lox or may all the damn wind blew us all over. Correction western hore,

Today we left early to beat the huge winds and shot up the Bsy pushed litterally by steady 20 with gusts to 35. Sailed up on a 110 jib. Docking the boat with a huge tailwind was a trip too, there was even wind in our club pier areas today.

Was a great first weekend out. Next week instead of eating the lox...well smoke and see if I can navigate better

Dave

#24 ·
Dave - Glad to hear you and Donna made it out this weekend - sounds like a great time!

We splashed Thursday night and I spend the better part of the weekend putting the boat back together. She should be ready to go for 2013's adventures now.

#25 ·
Yesterday was our first voyage on Cordelia. Man what a day – I think she handled it a lot better than we did.

Despite spending Saturday doing the rigging and final system checks, we still weren’t able to pull out of Smith’s until close to noon. We had white caps all the way down the Severn. Since it was our first sail – and my first time to rig the boat – we figured consistent 22-24 knot (saw a gust up to 31) winds and 2-3 ft seas would be a bit too adventurous for the first sail and would only be a) asking for trouble and b) convince my wife to never set foot on the boat again.

We only saw one other boat out on the Bay proper – a 40 ft plus J Boat with about 6 crew. Beautiful boat and man they were chugging along.

Pulled into the West River late afternoon – still had the white caps but luckily the waves died down. The winds even died down some and I thought the day might turn after all. Checked the anemometer to see “died down” was still 18 knots.

Luckily the winds were blowing us out of our slip, but we still had to dock fast because the second I knocked us out of gear we would start blowing out of the slip. After two failed attempts, I pulled in going close to two knots. That gave us enough momentum to get tied off.

Wasn't the best day, but was good to get out there.

#26 · (Edited)
Yesterday was our first voyage on Cordelia. Man what a day - I think she handled it a lot better than we did.

Despite spending Saturday doing the rigging and final system checks, we still weren't able to pull out of Smith's until close to noon. We had white caps all the way down the Severn. Since it was our first sail - and my first time to rig the boat - we figured consistent 22-24 knot (saw a gust up to 31) winds and 2-3 ft seas would be a bit too adventurous for the first sail and would only be a) asking for trouble and b) convince my wife to never set foot on the boat again.

We only saw one other boat out on the Bay proper - a 40 ft plus J Boat with about 6 crew. Beautiful boat and man they were chugging along.

Pulled into the West River late afternoon - still had the white caps but luckily the waves died down. The winds even died down some and I thought the day might turn after all. Checked the anemometer to see "died down" was still 18 knots.

Luckily the winds were blowing us out of our slip, but we still had to dock fast because the second I knocked us out of gear we would start blowing out of the slip. After two failed attempts, I pulled in going close to two knots. That gave us enough momentum to get tied off.

Wasn't the best day, but was good to get out there.
Ill bet you had an interesting day heading South on the Bay. actually a small sail up hile motoring would help stabilize the bost, but understand not testing the first day as it was really blowing and gusty. We headed north and etched a few southern bound boats getting crushed.

Rig up a permanent spring line with the proper length from the dock to catch first and connect to midship cleat on the jib track . It will be your first line always coming and last going. It prevents you from hitting the dock, and floating out while you get the other lines to secure the boat.

Yesterday was not a docking day for the faint of heart as we saw 20 knots directly being us " pushing us into the slip" . Grabbing that line stopped the boat.

Dave

#27 ·
I am glad everyone is reporting the same high wind speeds yesterday. We were out in the afternoon on the Patapsco off Rock Creek and saw nothing lower than the 20s, with gusts in the low 30s. However, the history at the Francis Scott Key Bridge showed winds in the 15-20 range throughout the day. I was wondering if the calibration on our wind instruments was off! It sure felt like a 20-30 kind of day.

#30 ·
We probably saw you headed out of Rock Creek we came in about 1 and there were only 2 or 3 boats out. What size Jeanneu? Where do you keep her ?

Dave

#28 · (Edited)
No great sailing story today. But she's in the water (splashed at noon), in the slip, and I'm enjoying a Wawa hoagie in glorious weather. Will bend the sails on after I eat.

#32 ·
Yes we headed out together I think. We motored past you with our main up but didn't have our VHF on so we didn't talk. We were headed down to the Magothy for our first overnight anchor of the year ( Thank goodness for the propane heater) Nice looking boat.

We are at the Maryland Yacht Club D Pier facing the lagoon with the three mooring balls behind the club between us and Fairview. How do you deal with that crazy man Mark? We kept our boat there for one winter and he seems to never stop yelling....lol

#35 ·
Finally splashed the boat today, felt great to feel the boat move under my feet, I even got a little emotional LOL. Final engine hook up sometime this week then I'll move Windgeist (German translation=Windspirit) to her new home.

Lots still left to do but still felt great
Great that you are in. Must feel relieved with your new red engine and all the improvements. Now get her over to the club and tart resupllyong her and gt ready to get out sailing.

Great job

Dave

#34 ·
As I mentioned, I splashed but didn't sail. I singlehanded over to the slip and spent the afternoon hoising sails, re-rigging reefing lines, etc. I wore a hat and put up the bimini top to give me some occasional relief from the sun, but I am WIPED OUT by the sun exposure. Heading to bed early.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.